latest divorce hearing- and a *free* lawyer! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
reptilemama
latest divorce hearing- and a *free* lawyer!

My ex decided to file for divorce without a lawyer to save money. He spent $250 on a website that was supposed to give you all the paperwork you needed. So, on February 4th, drove 45 minutes to the county he lives in for our prove-up hearing. I had told him that we had to take the parenting class that Illinois requires (a one-night class) before they'd finalize the divorce. He was convinced they'd do everything else and let us bring in the proof of the class later. WRONG! The first question out of the judges mouth was "have you taken the Children First class?" Of course we said no (but I was signed up at least) and he said we had to take it *before* the prove-up. So, off we go to the class, and a month later on March 4th, go to a second prove-up hearing. The judge asks for a certain form, and the ex looks at me like I should know what he's talking about. I suggested that it might be in the stuff he downloaded off the 'net, but he still can't find it. The judge asked if it was in the simplified divorce packet, and I said we didn't get one, it's not a simplified divorce, there is a child involved. But evidently one of the forms the ex filed was for a simplified divorce! So, the judge tells us to sit down and he'll try to figure out what we need when he's done with the other cases. So we sit down and wait. I was *so* ticked, because yet again I took a day off work and drove down there for nothing. Told the ex he needed to get a lawyer because I was tired of coming to court for no reason. After everyone else was done, the judge called us back up and took everything the ex had back to his chambers to look at it, so we sat down at the table. Meanwhile, a lawyer came in and sat down near us and started working on his laptop and making idle chit-chat. Nice guy, but I was too ticked off to say much and I think he could tell. When the judge came back he basically said all the stuff the ex paid for off the 'net was crap, and we needed to get a lawyer to look at it. The ex complained that he couldn't afford one (even though he just spent a $2000 bonus on a new apartment in Chicago) and the lawyer sitting at the table chimes in and says he'll do the documents for free! I was shocked! We ended up going into the laywer's lounge and giving him all the stuff we had along with our basic info, and setting up a meeting at his office for this Saturday. He said he had been through a divorce and it was such a hassle, that he decided to become a lawyer to help people out. Because he's interested in all the illegal law practice that goes on over the 'net, and because he wanted to kiss up to the judge, he decided to help us out. So, I have to go down there two more times (once for the lawyer meeting and once for the next prove-up), but at least we'll actually be getting somewhere this time! Finally, it will be done!

Old 03-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Lucille
Let that be your lesson, young lady....attorneys are DEFINITELY worth the $$$

Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
reptilemama
Hey, he's the one that should have hired a lawyer. Hiring one myself wouldn't have done much- since he's the one that filed, I don't think a lawyer I hired could touch the documents. Not that I have the money anyway, but hey, this was all *his* idea- why should I have to pay for a lawyer?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Lucille
AHEM!! Because paying lawyers is GOOD!!! Very good!!!!! Lawyers are the salt of the earth, fine people; and DESERVE to be paid LOTS of money and Taken To Dinner as often as possible, and movies, and presents, and chocolate, definitely chocolate.......

Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
reptilemama
Hey, I never said I had anything against lawyers, just that it's not my responsibility to hire one in this case!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
Lucille
I was just horsing around....but seriously, it is worth advice these days before any big permanent legal move....

Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #7
cthulhu77
Without lawyers, we wouldn't have our magnificient legal system !!!
RM, hope the proceedings go smoothly...

greg

Old 03-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
Lucille
OK, no loyer jokes pleez......

Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
reptilemama
Met with the lawyer today. Really nice guy, explained everything, and even suggested adding a couple things to the agreement to avoid hassle in the future. Happened to notice as my ex took his license out of his wallet that the picture he carries is some little girl- probably his girlfreind's kid. So nice of him to carry a pic of someone else's kid instead of his own.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
Lucille
Shannon, I am glad you got legal advice.
I am sorry about the pic, these things hurt no matter what; no matter how much it needs to get done, things like this are never easy...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!