booth connell? is this one of those scams? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
SSReptiles
booth connell? is this one of those scams?

I got this e-mail from a Booth Connell asking about an item that I no longer have or not selling.
Here is the e-mail.
Quote:
Hello, i have a client in united kingdom that want to buy your item i have spoken to my client and he has instructed me to pay with a company cheque from united state. Due to company policy only allows a refund payment to the client shipping agent in united kingdom via western union money transfer because the payment will include the shipping agent charges to ship the item to my client in united kingdom.
Any feedback on this?

Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
gmherps
Run as fast as you can!!!!!
Just my .02.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
SSReptiles
gregh,
I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure if it really was, so I deleted the topic on the reply and also his message, and responded "what iten are you looking for?" I want to see if he even remembers which scam he is working on...

Old 05-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
PaulSage
total scam...

It's a total scam. He wasn't very good at trying to explain what he was trying to do either. Basically, an "agent" contacts you and says his "client" is interested in something you are selling. Supposedly the client has already made out a check for more than the amount that your item plus shipping would be. Since the client always seems to be out of the country, the agent signs the check over to you and asks that you refund the difference via wire transfer. Should the seller agree and accept the check, even if he waits 7 days or whatever before doing the wire transfer for the difference, the check will bounce, and the seller is out however much he sent via the wire transfer.

I was selling my truck on autotrader and got an offer like this one. At first the 'agent' said he was buying the truck for his dad. I found it amusing to see how far he would let it go, and the guy just kept digging the hole deeper. Later he forgot that his client was his dad, he referred to the denali as a Lexus, and he asked at least three times for my bank info. Once I had enough rope, I submitted all the correspondence to the IFCC (I think..? I can't remember now) and autotrader. Then I let the little booger know that I used to work at a bank and had heard this one before. I also told him that I had already sold the truck and was just stringing him along for amusement. I never heard back from him... I was hoping despite our failed business deal that we could at least still be friends.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
pch101
Scam-o-rama!

(that meanss a yes, it is a scam)

Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
It's a total scam. He wasn't very good at trying to explain what he was trying to do either. Basically, an "agent" contacts you and says his "client" is interested in something you are selling. Supposedly the client has already made out a check for more than the amount that your item plus shipping would be. Since the client always seems to be out of the country, the agent signs the check over to you and asks that you refund the difference via wire transfer. Should the seller agree and accept the check, even if he waits 7 days or whatever before doing the wire transfer for the difference, the check will bounce, and the seller is out however much he sent via the wire transfer.
Actually, the seller incurrs a larger loss than just the amount of the transfer. Your bank will also hold you liable for the amount of the bogus check as well. It's a double whammy.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart
Actually, the seller incurrs a larger loss than just the amount of the transfer. Your bank will also hold you liable for the amount of the bogus check as well. It's a double whammy.
Maybe I misspoke earlier, but the check won't clear your account, meaning the funds are never deposited. Other than a 'returned check' charge ($ amt. depends on the bank) I don't believe the seller would be 'out' any more money than however much he/she transfers 'out' of his/her account. If the reptiles are actually shipped out, odds are that the shipping address is fictitous and the package will be returned.

My suggestion if anyone ever finds themself in a situation where they are receiving a check they are skeptical of, is to insist that the check be drawn off of a national bank with a branch in your area. This way, you can go to that bank (without having an account) and since the check is drawn off them, they can look it up and if it's valid, they can cash it for you. Usually they will charge non-account holders a $3-7 fee, but at least you're walking out of there with cash in hand, and you don't need to worry about a bad check bouncing against your account.

Sorry, I know that was totally off topic.
BUT IF IT HELPS JUST ONE PERSON...lol

cheers,
Paul

Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
SSReptiles
THIS BUGGER WILL NOT LEAVE ME ALONE!
This is what I said to him "
Booth, the animals I have did not sell, so I'm keeping back those two animals. Sorry"

Then he replies.
Quote:
New Instant Message
Add Messenger Contacts
Messenger Options

Sent : Tuesday, May 3, 2005 11:52 AM
To : "Stefanie Saltzman" <secret_souls_reptiles@hotmail.com>
Subject : RE:RE:what item?

hello, how much is your last price for it and also to let you know that you need to take the cheque the nearest cashing place and they will charge you $300 for cashing it send the balance to shipper immediately.
Wait a minute...what check?
He won't leave me a lone now! I told him in my last message, I don't have them.
Really, I do have the two males, and will not sell them.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
SSReptiles
my god, where is my head. I told him I have one of the males, but will not sell him the other due to that I kept him back.
but in reality, I have both snakes.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
Ken Harbart
Actually Paul, the checks do indeed clear the victims' accounts, as the FDIC requires that banks make funds from cashier's, teller's, and certified checks be made available within one to five days. Consequently, the money is often released into the payee's account before the note has been presented to the issuing bank.

That's what makes this scam so appealing to the cons that run it, and so costly to the victims duped by it. The forged notes appear to clear the mark's account, so it's assumed that they're good. The mark then withdraws the amount of the "overpayment" and wires it to the con. It's not until two to three weeks later, when the forged note makes its way through the system that the mark finds out that he/she has been duped. Not only are they out the amount that they sent to the con, they are also out the full amount of the forged note, as their bank seizes the funds from their account.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!