Selling Policy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #1
veronica
Selling Policy

I'm trying to come up with my own policy for animals I sell.
I want to come with something that is fair but wont bite me in the butt.
I had thought of saying.
1. live arrival or your money back including shipping.
2. sex is not guaranteed or.... should i say.. if im wrong about the sex of the animal I will exchange it for you with no cost to the customer for shipping? how should i word this so I dont get into big doo doo.
3. SHould i gurantee the health of the animal for at least 2 weeks or say that if your not satisfied for any reason you have 2 weeks to return them for a full refund... including shipping.

I want to be fair to my customers. I have already told customers if your not happy you can echange or get a full refund. One customer discovered one was not a female but in fact a male so now has 2 males... she is coming to my house now to exchange it for a female. She herself picked out the original animal ....came to my house and said thats the one she wanted. I agreed when she called me that she can come back and exchange it for another animal. I think I would rather do an even exchange than have an unhappy customer stuck with an animal they cant really keep or have to get rid of. I'de rather get my animals back and find them a new home than see them sold off again to taken to a pet shop just to get rid of them.
Can someone help me come up with a reasonable Policy? I'm new at this and figure if im going to do something i better do it right.
thank you,
Veronica Davidson

Old 08-17-2003, 11:24 PM   #2
dwedeking
When setting your policies always think of the worst possible customer in the world. Now build the policies to protect yourself from them. It's always easier to "break" your policies to work with the customer for a solution that makes both happy. It's impossible to go back and make your policies stronger in the middle of a transaction when you see that the customer is taking advantage of you.

The details are mostly up to you as it entails your comfort level. How much to give the customer and still protect yourself. Too easy and you'll be a doormat for all the trouble clients out there to walk on. Too difficult and people will be afraid to buy from you.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
veronica
Thanks for pointing that out!

Thats a good tip. I already had to make a change due to a customer who insisted on an exchange due to the sex wasnt what they wanted. He hand picked 2 of the babies and then 2 weeks later wanted to exchange one for a female.
I swear the one he gave me back was not the same one i sold him. looks nothing like what i sold him.. nothing at all.. not just bigger which you would expect growth from a baby over 2 weeks but color was waaayyyyyy off what it was when i sold it to him.
I was shocked and did say to him... wow are you sure this is the same one i sold you? this looks nothing like the one you took home 2 weeks ago.... he said oh i know isnt that amazing..
i was in total shock over it.
I was to anxious to make a customer happy and instead of saying no I'm sorry but I told you I dont guarantee the sex... or saying well you hand picked them yourself and said you could tell it was a female and now you say its a male? I should have said no deal. But wanted to keep a customer happy and did and even swop... they exchanged a 75 dollar animal for one i had listed for 100.. I am glad they are happy now but have to wonder about the whole thing.
I did however find a buyer for the one they brought back. He wanted the one they originally took but didnt put down a deposit to hold it so first come first serve. Anyway, I explained to him what happend and sent him a photo. He agreed it cant be the same animal but he still likes this one and we set up a deal. Can't get much at all for this one since its nothing more than a normal AFT but its not a total loss. Was just one of those experiences that leaves you thinking if you were taken or not. I have to wonder. I really dont want to say they pulled one over on me but my husband and i are wondering big time.
So with that experience I am not going to exchange an unsexed animal later on or an animal that they themselves hand picked and now figured they are wrong and want to exchange it. TUFF!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!