Help with picky Corns - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Vin115
Help with picky Corns

Hello all. I recently got a baby Hypo Corn and a baby Amel Zig Corn. Got them about 3 weeks ago. The Amel has never eaten for me but was started by the previous owner. At first I figured she was adjusting but it has been quite a while. I am going to try braining pinkies but I just want more opinions on other things I could do. The Hypo has eaten f/t pinkies for me twice but suddenly stopped. It has only been about 2 weeks without eating so I figure it is going to shed. Any help on the situation is greatly appreciated. Take care.
~Vin

Old 08-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Sparda
First, have you handled them alot, or have you let them adjust to their new homes? Stress will make a new baby go off their food. Leave them alone, except to check their water and such, trying not to disturb them at all. Give them at least 4 days between trying to feed. The next time you try, as you said, brain the pink, or pop a head off of one, and put the food item and your little snake in the deli cup you got them in. If you didn't get them in a deli cup then find a small container that size and poke some holes for air. You can place them back in the cage in the cup and leave them totally alone all night. (If you do this before bed it is easier to leave them alone) In the morning, hopefully, the pink or the head will be gone and your snake will have a nice little lump. You may have to do this more than once, since sometimes it can take a few times.
If this doesn't work, there are many other things to try. You can wash the pink, to make it smell less like a pink, scent with tuna water, anoles, other small lizards...etc.
Don't give up....sometimes you have to do some really not to pleasant things to get a little one to eat.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Old 08-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Vin115
Question Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I have not been handling them. I make sure I only handle them to take them out to feed or when I am cleaning the tank. I'm wondering if maybe living with other snakes has caused stress? I doubt it but you never know. There are 4 baby corns in the same tank at the moment. The two that I mentioned and two others that are eating fine. I understand I need to seperate them when they are nearing sexual maturity but for now they are alright.

~Vin

Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
Iwould recommend that you seperate at least the 2 that aren't eating (put each in a seperate container). Just being with the other hatchlings could be stressing them out. Glad or Ziplock sandwich size containers are perfect for hatchlings, and inexpensive. They can be housed and even fed in that container, reducing stress even more. I move my hatchlings from deli cups to these containers once the hatchlings have proven they are good eaters, and can be kept in this size for several more months. If needed, you can get larger Glad or Ziplock containers if the snakes are growing rapidly. I'm a firm believer in keeping snakes seperate at all times (except for brumation and mating) and in housing young snakes (1 year old and less) in the smallest container suitable for their size. Instinct tells a young snake that it needs to remain hidden as much as possible to prevent becoming someone else's dinner. If T-Rex was after me, I know that I would feel safer in a closet than on a football field.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!