Help!! Question about pregnancy & snakes. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
tanyah625
Question Help!! Question about pregnancy & snakes.

I just found out today that I am pregnant. Does anyone know if handling my BPs will have any affect on the baby? I have over 25 snakes and breed ASF rats and mice feeders. I am wondering if I will need to find homes for my babies. I will ask my doctor but I can't get in to see him until next week and feeding/ cleaning day is Sat. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
LadyOhh
From what I understand it, as long as you don't lick your snakes or things like that, you should be fine.

There is nothing like the litter box problem with cats in reptiles, so you should just be worried about Salmonella.

Congratulations!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
cahrens
Um... Don't you mean gravid? Lol. Congratulations on your coming addition! As far as the snakes and rats are concerned, you're safe. Just continue to use salmonella precautions and be sure you're washing with antibacterial soap. Ivory aint gonna do it.
Heather, please stop licking your snakes. Just cause they stick their tongue out and "lick" you, doesn't mean you get to do it back.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Cat_72
Congrats, Tanya!

I agree with the others, there should be nothing to worry about as long as you practice normal safe handling techniques.

Chris, Heather....you guys are too funny. I never pictured Heather as the snake-licker type, but I guess one never knows, lol.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
tanyah625
Thanks for the responses. I do wash my hands several times during and again after feeding and cleanings but I wanted to be sure. My hubby has already banned me from purchasing any more snakes for now.

I wanted my snakes to become gravid not me. Hopefully this one will be a girl though since we already have three boys.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
The rodents are a potential issue long before the snakes... but if it's a long term established and closed colony- nothing should be a problem there either.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahrens
Heather, please stop licking your snakes. Just cause they stick their tongue out and "lick" you, doesn't mean you get to do it back.
Listen, if people can lick toads , I can lick snakes

Old 04-20-2007, 02:56 AM   #8
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOhh
Listen, if people can lick toads , I can lick snakes
I could sooooo go places with that.....

Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
I could sooooo go places with that.....
I'll bet she could too.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
DThomas
And I would pay good money to see it...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!