Brett Boller Bad Guy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
prisclark
Angry Brett Boller Bad Guy

I ordered 3 geckos from Brett 6 months ago. Two arrived at 7-8 oz under their listed weight and very sick (diarrhea, not eating). As it turns out, they were loaded with coccydia. After $200 in vet bills, both died. When I contacted Brett after arrival re: the fact their weight was so below that on his listing he replied "you should have asked me." They were also shipped in bare plastic containers - no paper - nothing to prevent them from simply bouncing around - and arrived covered in excrement and were mailed straight parcel post instead of fedex as listed (thus no signature required. It was lucky I was here when they arrived in 40 degree weather)!. Brett did apologize for the shipping issues - but I guess the reality is that no professional breeder would have done this in the first place. The third gecko I ordered at the same time has a back deformity which was not disclosed (the posted photo was careful to disguise it). I asked Brett if this was genetic (e.g. not to breed her) or due to an injury. He never replied. Bottom line: His listings were dishonest and he shipped 2 very sick and 1 deformed gecko. I recommend you not buy from him. I hate to leave negative feedback about anyone, but after watching watching "Winnie" finally succumb while at the vet last week is really my motivation. One doesn't usually get attached to geckos - but she waged such a good fight - and I really thought we had finally turned the corner. I am reposting as apparently I didn't use a title before. Too - I did notify Brett many months ago that I would post bad feedback so, although this is perhaps long overdue - I doubt he will be surprised.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
John E Dove
I am sorry your Leos did not make it.
This is Brett Boller of Frankenstein Exotics, correct?
Has he been informed of this thread?
Did he make any effort to make this right with you?
Could you post your email exchanges with him?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
prisclark
I will inform Brett (Frankenstein Exotics). I am not asking Brett to "make it right" as there is no "right" for me. I do not want monetary compensation. There is no making up for shipping off sick reptiles -- or one with a deformity -or for the emotional investment I made in trying to save them. Spending the money on vets was my choice -- I could have just euthanized them. Brett never denied the facts when I emailed him ("you should have asked me" -- whether they were sick and/or not as advertised or deformed). So I am simply telling people of my experience. What did surprise me was that Brett seemed so sincere throughout the transaction - and even seemed genuinely surprised I was upset about getting geckos 7-9 grams below the advertised weight that were sick. I was going to post feedback at that time, but actually thought he was an amateur breeder selling off his stock. When I saw he continued to list I told him I was going to post negative feedback -- but hate to do it to anyone, so have procrastinated.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
prisclark
John - I just checked Brett's site and, until he deletes it, please note my name listed for the ones I bought. Also, please check out Bandit #6. She is the one with the back deformity. You can notice it in the photo (her left rear - hump) - but it is much more pronounced in reality. Brett never did respond to questions about it. Too, I note Brett advertises that "all weights are current" so perhaps has taken something away from all this. But the deformed gecko photo pretty well supports my case. Priscilla

Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
LauraB
I'm not doubting your bad experience, and I hate to hear your animals died, but when I look at the photo of Bandit #6, the left rear hump I see looks like her left rear thigh and knee. Did you take photos of Bandit when you received her to document the deformity? It might be helpful to post any if you did.

Admitedly, I'm not a gecko-person, so I may just not be seeing what an experienced gecko-person would see! I've also never done business with Brett, so have no input as to his business ethics or animals...just curious if you have a photo you could share showing the deformity more clearly for this Geckos-for-Dummies candidate.

~ Laura Bolt

Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
As documented proof is helpful, here are the screen shots of the geckos she purchased from his web site.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Brett Boller
Hey Pricilla
I am not trying to be a geek. I have read all of your previous emails and this thread. I know its hard to loose them I have had this sort of thing happen to me many times. Its a learning experience for all of us and I don't blame you for a bit of rage. I don't feel that I am to blame. I sold you healthy thriving geckos to every bit of my knowledge. I would in no way set someone up for failure. I have checked on my breeding records for this last season and the females that I sent you were sharing cages with my females. So what I am trying to say is that if they indeed contacted coccidia at my facility my animals would too would have been sick. All I am trying to say is that if the geckos indeed came in contact with coccidia they would have ceased reproduction. I double checked my emails and breeding records and Vanchae #1 laid two eggs right before shipment. This will cause a little difference in weights, but its always a good idea to ask for current weights. I have a lot of animals and its easy for weights to get off from time to time. I already apologized for this but I am sorry for the shipping containers. I am not what you are making me out to be and I am sorry you feel this way. You were very pleased with the geckos when you received them and I have your email still. I have a set of terms on my site that I have to conduct business by if I were to change the terms what do you think would be appropriate? Keep in mind that you have had theses geckos from April. How am I to know that these geckos were not infected by a feeder insect that had ate the coccidia eggs at some pet store. I have a very reliable source of feeder insects which are deemed not to carry parasites. I am not going to mention any names because this is indeed a issue between us, but if say I had received a bad shipment of insects should I be mad at the person that breeds them for the love of the creature. I am very upset that you feel this way breeding reptiles is a way of life for me. I enjoy not only the reptiles, but I value your friend ship as well. The female that you are saying was deformed could have had a deformity that I over looked if this is indeed true I wish you would have let me know right away. I would have replaced her with another gecko or refunded the money for her. At this point I don't know were you want to go with this. If it eases you to to post negative comments and make assumptions about the way I do business and the animals I spend 8 hours a day every day taking care of go right ahead. I know its hard to loose them and I feel bad enough because you think its all my fault. I value your knowledge and I will respect your wishes.
sincerely Brett

Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
John E Dove
Ms. Clark,
I believe it might be helpful if you could post all of your email exchanges with Mr. Boller, especially any covering you notifying him of the problems you’ve noted and his responses.
Also if you can scan and post any vet documents pertaining to these animals and those findings.

Just for clarification, when you mentioned that he shipped parcel post did you mean U.S. Postal Service parcel post?

I realize that you are not seeking any compensation in this matter but I believe the above would be helpful to future readers of this report in determining if they would really care to take the chance in dealing with Mr. Boller.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
iasc300
I myself have purchased two pythons from brett in the past- the quality and shipping from these two pythons was outstanding and they are in excellent health- I have seen pictures of bretts operation and it looks very clean and sterile- but I know looks can be deceiving. I know pythons and geckos are different but from my experiance you couldnt of asked for better customer service and animals, brett was always helpful before the purchase and after the transaction- just my 2 cents

Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
John E Dove
Thanks for your input Ryan but ya know, if there is one thing I have learned on the BOI it's that it is not how a dealer handles the good deals that make the big difference. It is how they deal with and correct the problem deals when they arise.
I doubt that there are many, if any, big name reptile people who have not had a problem from time to time but the best of them always consider their animals and customer service first.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!