Blood pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
Jay1600
Question Blood pythons

Well first id like to introduce myself My name is Jay and ive been keeping herps since i was 10 so ive had herps mainly snakes for about 6 years now. I have kept and bred hognose several kinds of other colubrids aswell and a pair of savu pythons but due to the fact money was getting tight I had to get rid of them all. Now that I can finally afford to keep herps again I have looked into several larger spiecies of boids , Bci , Carpets and blood pythons out of these I find the blood pythons to be the most interesting of the three and would like to know what those of you who have kept or dealt with them, think about them as far as temperment and basic care go. Thank you.

Jay

Old 09-30-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
nathan12345
they like to bite but when they settle down there good snakes

Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
sputnik
BLOODS ARE GREAT!

They are great, they are however very nervous snakes and easily aggitated or upset. Biting is not a last resort.......it's more like the only resort! They have a full body lunge when they strike, so watch out when they start flinching!

They are however very nice looking snakes.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
Dan's_herps
bloods are nice but i think if it was your first "big"snake like mine (im 14) i would go for a jungle carpet python, thats what i have, bloods look nice though, there bites look VERY painful though, and i think it would be more fun having a snake you can trust, not that you can't trust a blood, i hope this helps
Dan

Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
The key to bloods is TIME. If you deal with wild caught animals, you're going to have to give them a while to settle in. Once they are feeding good and they are feeling secure, you can start handling them without so much fear of getting bitten.

If you grab the snake by the neck, you're going to have a pissed off snake. It's a given. I've found it works best to hold bloods in the most supportive manner possible, without restricting their movements. Keep an eye on it's head, and watch it's behaviour. They're honestly pretty darn predictable.

In 2 years of keeping bloods, I've yet to take a nasty bite from one... And I've had a few nasty ones ;-)

Old 12-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #6
bogwan
I recently purchased a pair of bloods.Nice youngsters and they have a great temperment they never even flinch when picked up and they are eating great.I have had and have all kinds of pythons and this is my first bloods.Now I am so glad I got them they are awesome!

Old 12-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
Laura-Lee
Thumbs up

I am acquireing my 1st Blood a Sumatran high yellow on Monday, can't even begin to explain how excited I am. They were the first snake i remember being fascinated by as a kid (looking at pics in books) I never thought I would have the hounor to own and care for such an exquisite reptile. Thanks to a very good friend I'm getting the deal of a life on her as a x-mas present. They are deffinatly not the snake for everyone, I've owned herps for years and both my kids are totally into them as well. But I have taken my time gaining experience through friends with larger boids until I thought I and the kids were ready to have such a powerful animal share our living space. I love the challenge they offer in husbandry and handling (espically for me at 4'11" and 100 lbs soaking wet...lol) They are a snake that commands respect when handling. I would say they are THE most beautiful snake but that's just MHO. Anyways enough rambling from me ...lol

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Laura-Lee Laberge

Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
snakekid13
very important!

make sure you are getting a captive bred specimen and get one thats about 7 months old best age cause you know they have eaten and they might not eat for a while after u get them. And remember if u get one dont hold it till it has eaten 3 meals thats what i do and it works great. good luck and happy herping

Old 06-05-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
lilroach56
Bloods are very good snakes. They are usually VERY gentle, they're rep is a lie, and it only pertains to WC's. If you can keep a steady temp gradient (80-90) and steady humidity (50-60%) with good airflow then bloods will thrive. Make sure you buy CB, i suggest buy from NERD as they have awesome quality CB's available.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!