Adult RES Housing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
pacoparrot
Adult RES Housing

Someone gave me a huge Red Ear Slider turtle. I need some cheap ideas on how I could house him comfortably. Supplies I have on hand include a 10-20 gallon filter and a pond pump. I was thinking a huge storage container or a kiddie pool. Any ideas?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Mac's Morphs
Kiddie pools and large plastic storage tubs work great for quick cheap set ups. The next thing would be jump on craigslist and look for a large 75+ gallon tank if you want a tank

Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
TucsonRES
I would recommend a 75+ gallon tank, as large as you can find/afford if you are going to keep it inside all or part of the year (fall/winter months). If you plan to keep it outside, the best bet is going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting a preformed pond liner, some cinderblocks and garden soil and a pond filter as you already have the pond pump. Place the pond in the desired location, build a square or rectangle larger than the liner and a block or too higher. Then use the garden soil around the liner for stability and a basking area out of the water.
If/when keeping it inside be sure to have a basking area out of the water with a heating bulb and an uvb bulb for calcium and Vit d3. Also, vary and supplement the diet with waxworms, mealworms and some leafy greens (no iceberg lettuce).

Hope this helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!