Ever seen this on a Boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Art Klass
Ever seen this on a Boa?

What do you guys think of these orange blotches? She has two of them. This is the larger of the two. I am hoping to breed her next season.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Junkyard
I think the only time I have seen something like that is from scar tissue. I bought a boa that came with a nice gash on it's side, when it healed the color and pattern came back, but the scar changes colors each time the snake sheds. I have seen the normal tan change to completely white, then to yellow, sometimes it is spotted, and other times you cannot see the scar. The scar reminds me of those hypercolor shirts.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Art Klass
Quote:
I think the only time I have seen something like that is from scar tissue.
I have thought of the same thing as well, however I don't think that this is the case. If you look closely you can see that each individual scale is intact and undisturbed. There is no physical damage at all. It's much easier to tell in person.

Of course I hope it's genetic and that I can prove it out into something cool. So I may be in denial. That's one reason I posted the pics. I'll look to see if I can find a closer pic.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Art Klass
I zoomed in and adjusted the contrast and brightness so the individual scales can be seen a little easier.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Junkyard
You may have something, you could be holding the genetics to a pied boa. Lol
It looks like there is another area on the snake, it makes me wonder:

Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
Art Klass
Quote:
It looks like there is another area on the snake
It is a smaller area, but it is the same as the larger one. She also has a few individual orange scales. The orange is actually brighter than the pictures show. I guess I have nothing but time with her to see what happens. Thanks for your posts Michael.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Junkyard
What are you planning on breeding her with?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Art Klass
Quote:
What are you planning on breeding her with?
I have not decided yet. On one hand I think that because she is Central American that I might stick with that. On the other hand I feel that putting her with a nice clean colored up Columbian may be the way to go. This is probably where I lean. She is real pissy and not very attractive. I need to compensate for both of those drawbacks.

The story of how I got her is pretty funny. I was at a pet store in Little Rock and I saw a sign on an aquarium that said, "mean boa $50.00" I looked briefly at her and was walking away when I saw a flash of orange. I did a double take and told the owner that I wanted to take a look at her. He gave me some paper towels and said, "Here. You're going to need that." He was right. Man is she mean. I checked out her orange patches and decided I was going to buy her. I got her for forty bucks. She had about 8 sheds lumped onto the end of her tail. The vet had to amputate the end of it. She's a picky eater. I think she has also had some broken ribs a one point. She has a strange shape to her in one area. She's a mess and a total pain in the butt. I hope I'm not doing all this with her in vain.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!