Substrate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
droogievesch
Substrate

I recently switched substrate for my geckos and am considering doing the same for my balls. The substrate in question is actually cupboard/drawer liner. It's a no-stick rubber type of foam that is cheap, easy to cut, and washable. My main concern is it's rubbery texture, so I'm unsure if the snake will be able to move without sticking. There is no adhesives at all, it's just a no slip surface.

I have the stuff already, so I could do a practice bin and see how they react. Newspaper gets so messy after a day or so of them spilling their water everywhere and pushing it around.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
Pink Lady Exotics
The snake should be able to move on it, but it wouldn't absorb urine/feces so it would end up puddling and the snake would be laying/slithering in it.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
droogievesch
True...but it's easy to rinse off and I've never been a fan of letting them sit in dirty newspaper. I can always try it and if I hate it it's cheap enough to switch back if I hate it.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Pink Lady Exotics
Try switching to a water dish that they can't tip. I use deli cups with lids that have holes in the middle, so they can just dip their heads in to get a drink but not soak. For the bigger fat ones that don't pay attention to where they're going, I put the water cups inside 4" PVC couplings and that keeps them from tipping. I use unprinted newspaper and love this setup.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
droogievesch
They have heavy ceramic dishes now, so they don't tip. What they do is try getting into it and pushing the water out the edge or slopping it around somehow.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Pink Lady Exotics
That's why I have lids on mine, they can't get into them. Just dipping their heads through the hole to get a drink.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
brucestephenson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
Try switching to a water dish that they can't tip. I use deli cups with lids that have holes in the middle, so they can just dip their heads in to get a drink but not soak. For the bigger fat ones that don't pay attention to where they're going, I put the water cups inside 4" PVC couplings and that keeps them from tipping. I use unprinted newspaper and love this setup.
Could you please tell me what exact PVC coupler to buy and where to buy them? Also could you please tell me what exact deli cup to buy and where to buy them? I cannot seem to get the right coupler and deli cup combination that the pros use. Thanks Much!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Pink Lady Exotics
These are the water cups I buy:

http://superiorenterprise.com/produc...roducts_id=127

And the PVC couplings are at Lowe's. They don't have them on their website so I don't have a link for you, but that's where I bought them.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
brucestephenson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
These are the water cups I buy:

http://superiorenterprise.com/produc...roducts_id=127

And the PVC couplings are at Lowe's. They don't have them on their website so I don't have a link for you, but that's where I bought them.
Thank You! Are the PVC couplers smooth all over, or do they have some grooves or ridges on the inside and/or outside?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!