Provent a mite - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
TattooLost
I have been curious as to whether or not PAM and BK II are the same ingredients? I've had a can of BK II for awhile now, but I'm wondering if PAM or the Equate would be better?

Looks like the active ingredient in BK II is Phenothrin 2.00%

Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
Mokele
Nope, they're different. PAM and Equate are Permethrin at 0.5%

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Hock3ymonk3y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokele View Post
No, let it stay, but you MUST let any of these products dry COMPLETELY before returning the reptile to their cage. In liquid form, these sprays are toxic, but once dry, they're harmless to reptiles and will remain so.

I'd like to add that I've used both Provent-a-mite and Equate on mite outbreaks in the same facility, and found both to have equal effect.
Like mentioned above, Provent A Mite is the only product tested and approved for reptiles. The other stuff you are mentioning has not been tested on reptiles and you do not know the long term effects.

IMO, it just gives me the peace of mind to use Provent a Mite.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
WingedWolf
I would never use an untested product in my collection. Provent-A-Mite is safe. Other permethrin products may not be. Why?

For one example, piperonyl butoxide, which is not an active ingredient but IS found in some similar-seeming products, IS associated with snake mortality.

Unless you really, REALLY know what every single ingredient is and does, and whether it is specifically safe for snakes...why on earth would you risk it?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
spk329
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I would never use an untested product in my collection. Provent-A-Mite is safe. Other permethrin products may not be. Why?

For one example, piperonyl butoxide, which is not an active ingredient but IS found in some similar-seeming products, IS associated with snake mortality.

Unless you really, REALLY know what every single ingredient is and does, and whether it is specifically safe for snakes...why on earth would you risk it?
Very well said.......PAM works and is safe if used correctly. Why take a chance?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
Heather82
How come no one talks about Reptile Relief? That is the only thing I use when we have mites.

Mokele, you say that in liquid form, these sprays are toxic. So what form is it in then when spraying out of the bottle and onto your snake?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
hhmoore
PAM, equate, BKII, etc are NOT meant to be sprayed on the animal. They are sprayed in the enclosure & allowed to dry before placing the animal back inside.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
WingedWolf
Well, because Reptile Relief only kills mites if you spray it on them. Which is fine, if you use it along with PAM. But you have to keep spraying it around until you get them all. With PAM, you treat the bin, and mites that enter it die, period. So do the larvae, when the eggs hatch. (Reptile Relief doesn't kill eggs--nothing does).

If you were to use Reptile Relief alone, it would be a longer and less certain process. I think people don't mention it as one of the best options for that reason, but many people mention using it along with PAM or BK, since it's a quick way to kill any mites actually on the snake. PAM prevents any others that are wandering around (and they wander like crazy) from reaching the snake. You could have mites in your curtains, if you had them in your collection, and they could find their way back to your snake. If the bin/cage was treated with PAM, they die when they enter it.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
offroad537
i wouldnt use that stuff he got from walmart because its stronger and it made for something different. Provent a mite you can use right on the bedding and wait a little bit and wait for it to try and then put the snake right on top of it with out anything going wrong. Im using provent a mite right now and it works fine. i rather spend more money on something that i know that wont kill my snake then some cheap crap you get a walmart. i wont trust anything you get a walmart. you can find provent a mite on big apple, or just go on kingsnake.com

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
bradleymoore
i'm going to go with equate bedding spray. not only did rick from rustysballs say he uses it, but lori/brian from bhb told me they use it as well rather than provent-a-mite. that was a good enough reason for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!