Raytek MT4 temp gun - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
JJFOUTZ
Raytek MT4 temp gun

I just got one of these recently. I was holding out because I was looking at them priced around $100, I found one for $62 and decided it was time to break down and buy one. I can not belive I did without one before and I can tell you I will never be without one again. I have a hard time putting it down. I must have checked my hot spot temps in each enclosure 2 or 3 times the first night to check its consistancy and accuracy (+ I couldn't help myself). The reading is almost instant and it will hold the temp reading for 5 seconds (seems longer than it sounds). Anyway, Just thought I would tell everyone about my experience with it.

Jeff Foutz

Old 05-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
robyn@Pro Exotics
we have worked very hard to bring an affordable Temp Gun to the reptile market, and we have got the price all the way down to $25 each. an infrared Temp Gun is indeed an invaluable tool for reptile husbandry, and at $25, just about every hobbyist can afford to get one.

it is easily the number one tool for improving your reptile skills and comprehension.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
groovygeckos
how accurate ?

how accurate is the temp. gun ? , ihave one and i get different reading s with it than my dual-probe digital thermometer does !! trying to figure out which device is wrong ! thanx

Old 09-04-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
robyn@Pro Exotics
temp guns and digital thermometers are both valuable tools, but they do slightly different things.

a temp gun reads reflected surface temperature, the temperature of an object.

a digital thermo reads air temperature at either the base, or at the location of a probe.

when measuring a basking spot directly beneath a lamp, your temp gun will tell you the surface temp, and for our monitors, that may be 130F+. a digital probe in that "same spot" is not actually touching and reading the surface temp, instead reading the air temp, and it may read 105F.

they are both correct, because the air temp a quarter inch above the surface can be significantly different than the surface itself.

once you understand how to use each of the tools, you gain a better understanding of cage setup and optimization, and you will realize that both are probably "right" : )

Old 12-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
MGReptiles
Hey Jeff, I know this is an older post but where did you buy the MT-4 for 62.00.. Mini temp guns are awsome also... I sell them for 21.99 though...

Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
JJFOUTZ
Mt-4

Bradystools.com They are now $57.99

Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Reptile Basics
Can save you more than that.....

I like the PE-2 for $45. Every bit as nice as the Raytek (laser and all) and I don't think I have seen a Raytek yet for $45. If you want economy I would go with the PE-1 for $25. Not quite the range (distance) but unless you have venomous you need to stay away from it does the job just fine.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
I got my Raytek for $50 on eBay. I LOVE it!!!

Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
MGReptiles
LOL I love me some Ebay.. I think 90% of the gifts I gave for Christmas came from there.. I dont think you should be thinking ECONOMY when it comes to keeping the temps right(monitored) in your animals cage.. Since it does keep them thriving and all.. But hey what do I know..lol

Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
shrap
I have both the PE-2 and the Raytek MT4. It is not even close. The Raytek is by far a superior product in my opinion. It is better made, more intuitive in its design and has never had any of the odd bugs I have ran across with the PE-2.

Things like switching to Celsius on its own. I can take temps in Fahrenheit let it shut off and the next time I pick it up it is in Celsius. It even does that without it being shut off. Sometimes it will do it after one or two readings, sometimes after 8 or 10 or any number in between. On brand new batteries.

The Raytek is certainly the way to go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!