SnakeSnare.com - Self Explanitory - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #91
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanV
Sorry about that guys, I was in a hurry.
Yes, I was at one time OK with Venomoids, but now I do not support it at all. It took a long, heated debate and lots of name calling but it finally sunk in.
LOL...So what you are saying is that you possibly could be wrong with this entire thread and you might be persuaded to change your mind that this guy was marketing this tool for killing snakes? And that we aren't all stupid, ignorant rednecks? You seem like a pretty nice and smart guy. Hopefully you can see why so many folks are a little agitated.

Happy Holidays!!

Bthacker

Old 12-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #92
IanV
This device WAS marketed for killing snakes, but is no longer that way. I know what the website said, but I also know what John says himself.
As for everyone being ignorant and rednecks, we will just see

As for education, I have seen it work with older people, but not anywhere near as effective as younger kids. It is possible though (So is bathing a cat, but I have never seen it done!)

Ian

Old 12-20-2004, 09:01 PM   #93
Tripple H Herps
I think with a lot of work. Education even in the older class can be done. Oh and as for the other thing about the cat. My cat loves baths, it took a lot of bites and scratches but I did it. I believe there was another person who mentioned cutting the snake in half. He is correct in saying this. I do not think this is a humane product. Even decapitating the snake alone is considered inhumane. There is no doubt in my mind that peoples views on reptiles need to change. Otherwise this will always continue.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #94
Rockford
As far is older folks being tougher to educate...well you can ask my Mother. I was 9 years old and educated her and my Stepfather enough for them to allow me to keep snakes. It took a little time but I eventually taught them that snakes weren't all that bad(and I never threatened to burn the house down either). This was before Jurassic Park came out and reptiles weren't as mainstream as they are today. Kids are definitely alot easier!!!

I think this thread has run it's course. Lessons learned:1)Don't kill snakes for fun(unless it's legal). 2)the snakesnare was marketed as a snake killing device (but isn't anymore? website is still down). 3)It's OK to be NASCAR watching, gunrack in your truck having, ignorant and stupid redneck but please dont send life threatening e-mails to ignorant snake killing device manufacturer's. 4) It's great to be able to express your own opinion without anyone getting hurt.

Seriously....Happy Holidays!!! Please be safe when trying to shoot snakes(for all who don't have a snakesnare).

Happy Holidays!!! :deer:

Bthacker

Old 12-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #95
Karen Hulvey
Hey Ian, I've given a cat a flea bath once, YEAH only once. I'll handle a nasty biting 10' retic before I bath a cat again. That was scary and painful!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #96
Tripple H Herps
karen..... afraid of a pussy cat?...lol
Happy holidays

Old 12-20-2004, 11:56 PM   #97
Karen Hulvey
OOOH yeah. This one weighs in at 13 pounds. She bit and scratched me so many times that my arm swelled up and I had to get a tetanus shot! The funny thing was I worked at the clinic where I got the shot and the doctor was telling me I was gonna have to get rid of those nasty biting snakes. What a laugh I got when I told him it was a cat!!!!!

Old 12-21-2004, 01:11 AM   #98
Seamus Haley
Looks like some kind of middle ground was found by the major antagonists... good enough. However since it was left up in the air and was related to the thread topic and fairly signifigant issue unto itself-

Relocation is not a viable means of insuring that all species remain alive if they end up in a situation where interaction with humans demands that action be taken. As I said, the degree varys with species but crotalids when looked at as a whole fare VERY poorly when relocated to an area even a few miles from the one in which they were found. They're all hardwired instinct modified only by pattern recognition- the environmental patterns start to become ingrained from the moment they are dropped and has an enormous impact on the daily behavior of the individual animal. Denning sites, basking sites, the best areas for finding and ambushing prey, the location of water sources... all "memorized" and all specific to the area the snake is found in based on it's own behaviors.

Move a snake with such highly tuned associations with it's microhabitat and it won't hide, might or might not find anything to eat and drink and definitely will not den properly when the time comes. Worst case scenario it ends up dehydrated and starving and succumbs to the constant attacks on the immune system that a wild animal is under. Best case scenario it lives until it gets cold, is unable to den in ANY capacity given that the animal is instinctually driven and the target of that instinct is not physically accessible then freezes to death.

Add to this the tendendcy for micropopulations to be genetically predisposed towards a certain type of prey (again, to varying degrees in individual species/populations) to the point where many individuals will literally starve to death if not provided with something that manages to find the "food" trigger and cause an immediate feeding response...

Relocation is a piss poor option if the intention is preservation of the individual animal. If a rattler (especially out of the North American crotalids and certain species of rattler doubly so) ends up in a situation where it needs to be "dealt with" and can't simply be left alone or avoided then collection and a captive life is the only way to keep it alive... and a quick and humane (note: I still think the tool as described is inefficient at causing a humane death) death is better than an animal starving to death or freezing in a microhabitat to which it did not originally belong anyway (meaning no argument can be made for how it's decomposition is *needed* in the environment to which it has been moved).

This is simply biological fact. If you were unaware of this then frankly you have no business relocating or field collecting animals to begin with.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #99
Karen Hulvey
Where can I read the studies that were done on relocation of North American crotalids, Seamus?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #100
Rockford
Seamus-

Do you know where I can read up on studies regarding relocation of Crotalids? That is pretty interesting stuff if it is true. Please let me know, e-mail or PM.

Happy Holidays!

Bthacker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!