SnakeSnare.com - Self Explanitory - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #71
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Vince

I personally forwarded a link to his website to PETA, the SPCA and the Humane Society the day this thread was started. Wouldn't it be a coup to get those three to work in the industy's favor for once?.
NO.You think they would stop there? all 3 of those groups are against keeping of any reptiles WHATSOEVER.
I can understand everyone being a little heated (if not hypocritical ie. Hunting deer for sport-ok, Rattlesnakes-not). but, anybody ever heard of the saying "be careful what you wish for"? PETA is the LAST, I repeat LAST organization "we" need to go to when "we" have a problem. We should solve our problems, in house, and by trying to educate as many people as we can. The fact that they may go after the website, does not erase or even begin to nullify even one little iota, the fact that they are the worst threat to us, and anybody who wants to keep ANY animals PERIOD.

Before everybody jumps on me, I abhor Rattlesnake roundups, but, until we can get things changed it is legal. I also have little tolerance for those who kill snakes out of ignorance. I just think this thread is getting a little too heated and we would do better to educate and act civilly, lest we be judged no better than the people who try to keep use from keeping animals.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #72
IanV
It WAS marketed as such. I have been doing my part on educating, and from what I understand, quite a few other level headed individuals contacted John with the same problems I have had with the product since day one. I am waiting to hear back from John about something he said in an email I would like to post here, which may help clear up some misconceptions.
This device will no longer be for killing snakes, and thanks to those who have sent emails pointing out corrections and misconceptions. I know more people have sent polite emails rather than threatening ones, and that has made the world of difference in this case. Suddenly, it wasn;t just me and some friends pointing out our feelings, it was 100's of well intentioned Herpers who hate to see snakes needlesly die.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #73
IanV
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
NO.You think they would stop there? all 3 of those groups are against keeping of any reptiles WHATSOEVER.
I can understand everyone being a little heated (if not hypocritical ie. Hunting deer for sport-ok, Rattlesnakes-not). but, anybody ever heard of the saying "be careful what you wish for"? PETA is the LAST, I repeat LAST organization "we" need to go to when "we" have a problem. We should solve our problems, in house, and by trying to educate as many people as we can. The fact that they may go after the website, does not erase or even begin to nullify even one little iota, the fact that they are the worst threat to us, and anybody who wants to keep ANY animals PERIOD.

Before everybody jumps on me, I abhor Rattlesnake roundups, but, until we can get things changed it is legal. I also have little tolerance for those who kill snakes out of ignorance. I just think this thread is getting a little too heated and we would do better to educate and act civilly, lest we be judged no better than the people who try to keep use from keeping animals.
John, thank you for that well thought our and well written post. You have put across some ideas that I have not been able to, thank you. I also abhor the rattlesnake roundups, but we need to fight this with education rather than trying to join ranks with PeTA or getting so upset over something that we are not able to have a level conversation. It has been amazing to me to see some of the changes that have come across from people who are angry at the idea of killing snakes in ignorance, but who are well spoken and polite enough that they are able to get the point across and actually educated people. This thread so far has not been able to educate anyone (and I am at fault as much as anyone else).

Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 PM   #74
Rockford
Back peddling. That's what I call it. Anyone else have a word or phrase for it?Maybe I'm just an ignorant, stupid redneck. You have learned nothing Ian. And you haven't educated anyone on anything. Quit trying to play the nice guy all of a sudden. You are not as smart as you are trying to portray yourself. Sorry but you lose.

Bthacker

Old 12-20-2004, 12:15 AM   #75
Suncoast Herpetological
Originally posted by John Kellar

Quote:

Point taken John but the links were sent anonymously, not with any plea for help to the industry. I normally stay as far away from all three of them as possible but, in this instance, I truly think it was a good idea. While they do not condone the keeping of animals and are a constant thorn in all of our sides, they are far more focused on animal cruelty Especially the SPCA.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #76
Tim Cole
Lightbulb Catch Pole...

Having been one of the original people to post on this thread I am disapointed to see it digressing as it is.
I have been doing snake calls for most of my life. I was an Animal Control Officer for over 5 years. I was also a State Permitted Reptile Rehabilitator for over 10 years. I have also been training Animal Control Officers and Park Rangers for over 15 years in snake identification and safe capture techniques. Safe for the humans and safe for the snake. I deal with venomous and non-venomous in my State Certified training classes. The officers are issued a Standard Catch Pole to use in a variety of situations. Since this may be the only thing they have to work with I showed them how to use it properly with large snakes only (6ft +)! IT IS NOT FOR CAPTURING BUT TO SAFELY GUIDE IT TO A CONTAINER! You cannot restrain a large snake on this pole. It will crawl through the loop and probably injure itself, choke, or break bones. After I showed the department a pair of tongs and how they worked, they outfitted all of the officers with a pair of tongs after I trained them on the proper use. Even the Midwest site does not mention them for SNAKES!
I am also surprised that no one has mentioned the commercially made snake funnel traps or glueboards. Bill Horn's description of a cardboard box trap is great and works with the same principle as the funnel trap. Glueboards are my last resort but work well without injury if monitered. The board is placed along the baseboard and the snake sticks to it as it is crawling. The trap needs to be checked frequently so the snake can be released from the glue as quickly as possible. This is accomplished by soaking the glueboard in shallow cooking oil. This releases the snake in a matter of a few minutes with minimal harm. Sometimes it might lose a scale or two.
Ian,
I agree that threats are not appropriate, but this site is made up of snake lovers and some of us get passionate over this kind of subject. Don't expect any support from this sites readers for a tool that is made to decapitate a snake! Had the website not promoted this act we probably would not be as upset as we are. The picture you are painting is far different from the website toting the tool. I did see and read the site before it went down.

From an EDUCATED snake enthusiast,

Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 AM   #77
IanV
Are you saying I am not an educated snake enthusiast, because my views do not align with yours? I guarantee I deal with more professional herpetologists than most here, on a daily basis. Everyone from Animal PLanet hosts, to professors at the local universities. I know a thing or two about herps.
You yourself have used catch poles in the same manner I have. I agree, I think there is too much risk to breaking a rib, but if I am not comfortable with whatever other tool I have, I will use a snakesnare before I let DWR shoot and kill the rattlesnake (Well, they usually just throw a big ass rock on it).
I know you saw the site before it went down, I did as well. I saw it before it was brought up in the thread and I expressed my opinion that it would cause controversey and I could not support it.
Considering I am the ONLY one on this thread who has any correspondence with John, or has even seen a snake snare in real life, maybe some of you should smarten up. This product is not, any longer, designed for killing snakes. It once was, and I did not like it either. It is now being designed to safely remove snakes.
Since everyone here is so intent on condoning something that hasn't been made in the last 8 months, maybe you should do a little field work and actually talk to the company before pissing a fit. The thread started out great and quickly went to hell, and I am as much to blame as anyone else. Had people been more intent on education rather than condoning something they really don't know about, this would have never had caused any problems.
Bthacker, you are welcome to call it whatever you want. Why do I have to backpedal to try to impress you or something? Frankly, I think your opinion is pure crap and you know nothing about this product let alone how the real world works. If me trying to be "nice" is a problem, then you are welcome to leave this thread as much as anyone else. I was just trying to make sure tempers didn't fly, but I guess being that mature is above you.
Next time, maybe you should talk to the person who owns the website before everyone starts pitching fits all of a sudden. Again, I am the ONLY person who has posted here that has any sort of dealing with John, and who has seen the snare in person.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:11 AM   #78
IanV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Originally posted by John Kellar

Point taken John but the links were sent anonymously, not with any plea for help to the industry. I normally stay as far away from all three of them as possible but, in this instance, I truly think it was a good idea. While they do not condone the keeping of animals and are a constant thorn in all of our sides, they are far more focused on animal cruelty Especially the SPCA.
John, anonymously is better than not I guess. If Peta was just against animal cruelty, most would have no problem with it. But unfortunately they want to take away our pets...
I don't think it was a great idea, but it is better than nothing I guess. I just fear this will add some more to their anti-herpetoculture campaign.
The SPCA however, as far as I know, is till a pretty clean organization and I see no problem in contacting them in this case.
Seeing as killing certain snakes is not against the law in most areas, they do not have a leg to stand on though. Here in Utah however, it is illegal to kill a garter, but you can kill a rattlesnake and no one cares (you also need a 30 dollar permit to keep garters, go figure). It's sad really. If I compare the decapitation to the gasoline though, I would have to say the decapitation is somewhat more humane (though severly messed up). I would love if the roundups were gone, but I dont think it will stop people from killing rattlesnakes in mass numbers.
Ian

Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 AM   #79
IanV
For the record...

This was my last communication with John tonight. He did not grant me permission to post this yet, but I am sure he will see no problems as long as it helps clear the air
Quote:
For the record, the two day e-mail flood did
educate me to many corrections to the representation of the SnakeSnare
and the website will be back up in the spring with more accurate and
descriptive content.

I am amazed at the anger of some people, angry that the World isn't
exactly as they want it to be and hostile towards those who don't share
their philosophy.
In all fairness, I did warn against keeping that decapitation thing on the website.
However, many in this thread do not have a working concept of the idea, and in fact, have never seen the product or have any communication with John.
As for the emails, hell if you can help add to the education I wouldn't tell you to stop. The world needs to know that snakes aren't scary (and we need to understand people are going to be scared of snakes and we shouldn't push our ideals on them).

Old 12-20-2004, 02:57 AM   #80
BriarpatchHerps
Here's how I see it.....ANY changes made to his website or weapon has been for one reason and one reason only, to save his own ass and protect his income. If the man never had a problem killing animals or making a living from selling people weapons to kill animals he still doesn't. Someone doesn't suddenly find humanity, compassion and the intellect to "see the light" because they took a long hard look at their actions - it takes YEARS to become who we are and just as long if not longer to make major changes. One day he supports slaying animals and the next day he doesn't? BS bud, who the hell do you think you're kidding?

Let's brainstorm for a moment shall we? If a noosed pole is such a dandy "tool" for safely controlling serpents then why do so many imported Chondros, Cobras, Pythons and Monitors arrive with neck lacerations, burns, broken vertibra and ribs?? I know of at least a dozen large Retics and Cobras that were advertised in the classifieds as LTC and STILL had a scar around their neck, crooked spine and the Cobras had broken ribs in their hoods that prevented it from fully opening. In every similar injury there's two common factors 1) A noose that supplys enough pressure to crush 2) Some dumbass on the other end yanking on it like he's trying to start a lawnmower.

In your pals case those two factors didn't sell enough SnakeSnares so for the love of money he added a BLADE and proceeded to market the POS as a weapon to KILL.

Mace is a good example of a self defense item, it's small, powerful and carried by postal carriers to keep dogs off them. Until I see a pair of Levis with pockets deep enough to accomidate a 48" long pole that damn thing was never designed for self protection, it was built for one purpose and that's because he knew Jeb and Cleatus would snatch those things up to use at the roundups.

It's only takes the understanding of simple physics to realize grasping a struggling creature with a cord covering no more than a one inch wide area is going to cause damage and be painful. If you're honestly dim enough to believe a noosed pole isn't painful and lethal lie on the floor and have a friend drag your ass around the house with one around your wrist.

And NO, people do NOT have the right to kill something "Because they see fit" to do so, most people can't make a split second decision at the Burger King Drive Thru let alone be given the right to "kill anything they wish".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!