What kind of dog is this? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
ms_terese
Duck Tolling Retriever/Husky mix would not surprise me....

Gorgeous!

I definitely recommend neutering if you have 2 males that are still fairly young, it will prevent lots of problems.

I haven't yet had the nerve to bring on another pup after losing Harley, even though I know Moose needs a companion. This gives me a little hope that when it's meant to happen, another dog will find us

Old 03-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Cat_72
With the relative rarity of the NSDTR, I would highly doubt that it is a mix of that breed. Not all Chow mixes have the black tongue, or even black spots on the tongue. My best guess would be a Golden Retriever/Chow mix. Did you say how big he is?

He IS a beautiful pup, whatever he is!

Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese

I haven't yet had the nerve to bring on another pup after losing Harley, even though I know Moose needs a companion. This gives me a little hope that when it's meant to happen, another dog will find us

You may want to open the pet section of your local Craigslist. If nothing else, it is very entertaining, in Houston anyway. People get on there and try so sell their dogs which is against the rules, the community pet section is for adoptions only. Then other people get their knickers in a knot and post bad stuff about the first group. And then there are those who list their dogs for adoption with a $500 'adoption fee' to circumvent the no selling rule.

Craigslist has an interesting way of dealing with offenders, the community itself flags them and after a certain number of flags the post is automatically removed. The posts about to go bye bye are pretty entertaining though, sort of like the worst of past Fauna offenders multiplied a hundred times.

Woven in with all the drama queens are people who genuinely need to find homes for dogs, many times they are rescued and many of the stories are sad, one just wants to reach out and help a lot of these poor homeless little guys. (By the way, it is not exclusive to dogs, in the past few weeks there have been kitties, snakes, rodents etc. that are homeless and up for adoption.)

Back to your post: I know that you and many here have the means to check out good breeders and find a fine healthy pup. And I am in no way rushing the natural order of things or trying to tell anyone what to do.
But if Moose needs a companion perhaps one of these guys who really, really needs a home will win your heart .

Old 03-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #14
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
With the relative rarity of the NSDTR, I would highly doubt that it is a mix of that breed. Not all Chow mixes have the black tongue, or even black spots on the tongue. My best guess would be a Golden Retriever/Chow mix. Did you say how big he is?

The vet paper listed him as 45 lbs, he is smaller than a Golden, but his fluffy fur makes him look bigger than he is. He is underweight though, his ribs are sticking out under the fur. Not for long though he is eating very well here..

Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
Art Klass
Quote:

Ding, Ding, Ding, Give that lady a prize. That is exactly what I thought. I think definitely golden retriever. Look at those ears. Kind of semi-pricked, The result of one parent having floppy ears and one having erect ears.

His overall look resembles an Australian Shepherd to me. Maybe some mail man in there or something.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Klass
Ding, Ding, Ding, Give that lady a prize. That is exactly what I thought. I think definitely golden retriever. Look at those ears. Kind of semi-pricked, The result of one parent having floppy ears and one having erect ears.

His overall look resembles an Australian Shepherd to me. Maybe some mail man in there or something.
I'm not familiar with NSDTR's, but when I first saw him I thought of Australian Shepherds too--especially because of the white on his toes. I don't think I've ever seen a Chow or Golden Retriever with white toes, and the solid, light-colored eyes had to come from somewhere. Also, the color of his nose is that liver color instead of black. Isn't that a Chow trait? (the lack of melanin or something)

Old 03-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #17
Art Klass
Quote:
I'm not familiar with NSDTR's, but when I first saw him I thought of Australian Shepherds too--especially because of the white on his toes. I don't think I've ever seen a Chow or Golden Retriever with white toes, and the solid, light-colored eyes had to come from somewhere. Also, the color of his nose is that liver color instead of black. Isn't that a Chow trait? (the lack of melanin or something)
I am better at training dogs than identifying what's in them. I think we could speculate all day as to what it is, but I think we nailed the best possibilities down. He's a good looking dog. That's for sure.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Klass
He's a good looking dog. That's for sure.
INDEED. Although, I'm a bit biased because he's the same size and color as my Golden Retriever who is the bestest dog in the entire world (even if she does punch people in the groin.)

Best of luck with him, Lucille.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
Cat_72
I've seen a lot of Goldens that have a lighter nose....but you're right, the eyes and white spots do definitely look Australian Shepherd. So, I change my best guess to Golden/AS.

And I don't think I've ever had a mailman with floppy ears or fuzzy toes of any color.....but one never knows.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
Bar None Reptiles
I know it's late..

but I would say that dog is at least 80% Nova Scotia. You probably figured that out already tho so it may not be of help to you now. I've worked with dogs all my life in various ways and based on the view of that picture that is the first thing that came to my mind. The breed has made a huge outcoming since they were officially inducted into the AKC just a few years back. Great dogs!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!