Flint River Ranch? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Lucille
Flint River Ranch?

I have heard good things in the past about this food, anyone here use it? I found a vendor that will sell it for $120/shipped for 100 lbs and that is a substantial saving from Innova, and it seems like it's a good food. What do y'all think?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Ill take a lok at it, I personally use Proplan at $22 for 50lbs (might be 55 the bag is kinda worn in that area) and mix it with Diamond lamb and Rice its about $18 for 55 pounds at our local farm and feed supply. Then I add some other goodies

Which food of theirs were you looking at so I can compare ingredients?

Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Lucille
I am looking into using their kibble with chicken meal. I looked into the ingredients and they use chicken meal as their #1 ingredient, I like that.
Wendy, you did go through your Diamond food and none is on recall?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
We didn't get our pitt until after the recall was over so I got lucky on that one.

Proplan Selects has Turkey as the main ingredient, Diamond Lamb and Rice has Lamb then Lamb meal as the top 2 ingredients.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Cat_72
I've heard very good things about the Flint River foods, but I personally can't justify spending that much money for a food when there are very comparable, good quality foods out there for much less.

The owners of Flint River are very active in groups that fight BSL, kudos to them for that.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Lucille
Cathy, would you list some of the foods you like that are comparable quality?

The Flint River Ranch is $1.20/lb. to my door. Nutro Natural Lamb Meal and Rice is about $34. per 40 lbs. local plus 8% Texas sales tax = $0.92/lb. to my door.
The following link is to ingredient lists, it shows Diamond Lamb but with the next 3 successive ingredients as grains so you may be paying for mostly cereal.
It does show Innova to have its top ingredients as meat or meat meal, so although outrageously pricey, it seems to stand up to the competition where it counts.

http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Cat_72
I honestly like some of the Diamond foods....I HAVE however read that feeding only the lamb and rice can lead to problems. I LOVE their "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul" line, I am going to be switching back to that full-time. Here is the ingredient list for the adult dog formula:

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

As far as the quality of Nutro, I have had good luck with it, but I think it does depend on what type you get. They have some lower-priced varieties to appeal more to the person who buys based more on price, and then they offer some higher-priced varieties. The CSFTDLS foods are all natural, which I really like as well.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Cat_72
Here's the link for the CSFDLS foods, btw...forgot to put it on the last post.

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Old 05-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Lucille
Wow I LIKE the description!! And I think I might could get it local where they sell the regular Diamond foods.
Do you mind if I ask what it costs you (and the lbs, so I can convert it to 100 and compare, I used 100 not only because it is a nice round # but give or take that is what I will be buying every month once all 4 are grown)
Thanks for the great info Cathy!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Cat_72
Um.......I honestly don't remember the exact price, but I believe it was right around $17 for the 20 pound bag of the regular adult formula. I'll probably be picking up a larger bag later this week, I'll try to remember to check out all of the prices for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!