Please I need urgent help... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
melindaste
Please I need urgent help...

I received a rescue that is severly under nurished, It is supposed to be about 9 months old, It has never eaten greens or any kind of worm, the person had it in burmation for 7 months because she could not take care of it. Befor it went into burmation she was feeding it baby food only. I have the dragon set up and it is a wake, I soak it daily but I cannot get him to eat anything, I have tried everything and he shows no interest at all.I have tried searching the forum for a
slurry type diet I know I read it here but can not find it. If someone has some ideas I really need them, I honestly feel his time is limited If I do not get somthing into him. He also is showing some signs of mbd.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Lucille
I would take it to a vet tomorrow, sounds like the little guy is pretty ill.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Craigh
Try to get a syringe (with no needle) and try to feed him baby food like chicken and veggie kind. Or any kind with some squash..or veggies. Dont be too forceful either. Have you taken him to a herp Vet yet ?

I also took in a rescue last year and he was so underfeed. He eats greens, Crix, silks and roaches now with no problem. So even if he has MBD its not the end of the world. Mine had it to and he's ok now just a little deformity of his jaw and tail.. I know a few people that come here can help you out with some more info... I will send a few emails so they can help you out. Best of luck and thanks for taking him in....

Craig

Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
melindaste
I just got him friday night, I will be taking him tomm. As Far as the mbd I know I can not reverse that, his tail is a bit crocked and his jaw looks ok. I did get him to eat a little greens, I will get the baby food. Thank for your help.. I will get pics up today.. He is the sweetest little guy..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Nails44
Gerber baby food (Squash) and if you go to Walgreen's pharmacy, they will give you an infant syringe for free. Put a little on the nose, and it should start licking it off. Go to the closest health food store and pick up some bee pollen and sprinkle that into the baby food. Also keep offering greens. The bee pollen is ok to use and you cannot over dose the BD on it. It will also stimulate the gut flora in turn making the BD eat. Also, like what licille above stated "Vet check ASAP" I never try to diagnose any medical problems. I leave that up to the pros. Hopefully someone else will come along and help you further. Just remember, to many opinions can cloud your mind or confuse you even more. Remember VET ASAP!!!!

Mike

Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
dragongirl6
Hey, what are his temps now and what are you measuring them with? I would have his basking temp around 110-115 if he isn't eating. Raising the temps should help him along. Warm soaks daily.

What live food are you offering and what are you dusting it with? Try holding a dusted cricket in front of his face. What type of UVB do you have on him? What size is the cage?

Here is my current rescue. She was totally blue from being kept on sand and had also been burmated for a while (not intentionally, though). She's ten months old, really tiny! She's eating like a pig now and her whole head shed yesterday. I've only had her for...two weeks now?

Can you post some pictures of him and your set up?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
melindaste
Set up is all correct, I have other dragons I have never seen one this skinny and weak. I will take him to the vet tomm. I have crickets of all sizes , superworms wax, meal worms.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Beardiepal
I would force feed her

Go ahead and get the baby foods and thin it down to a slurry with pedialyte. Add a pinch of herptivite that contains calcium and slide that syringe right into the side of her mouth. licking off the nose is a good concept but will not get in her what she needs. I would try 3 ccs at least every 2 hours, and keep her lights on so she can digest. Just mix a little at a time and throw out each time what she does not take. Hydration is key right now- nutrition is next- and the baby food will help with this. has she drank when you bathed her? Good luck and keep us posted. B

Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
dragongirl6
DON'T FEED HIM MEALWORMS!!!! That's the worst thing you could do at this point. Can you please post some pictures? Even if you do have the right set up for a healthy dragon, there may be a few things you could tweak for an unhealthy one. Trust me, I've had my own healthy ones and have rescued hundreds that have needed all kinds of care and help with a pretty good success rate.

Your idea of "correct" may be a bit different from mine, so it would just be helpful to know what you are already doing for him so I could suggest something else.

Good luck with him.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
Cat_72
I've found that dragons will often readily take the apple flavored Pedialyte, I at least make the attempt to drip it on their nose and see if they will begin drinking it willingly (which many times they will) before force feeding - if he will not drink at all, then carefully sliding the syringe into the corner of her mouth would be the way to go. Just make sure you still squirt it in fairly slowly, to avoid him aspirating the fluid and causing even more health issues.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!