Any men in Massachusetts? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #31
bcfos
Quote:
Originally posted by wilomn
Not to open a can of worm of an entirely unpalatable flavor, but are you sure you meant christian? Some of the most unforgivng and hypocritcal individuals I have EVER met claimed christianity as there own.

Maybe it's just me.
No kidding just live in the "Buckle" of the bible belt like I do. I swear most people think I am satan or very close to it.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #32
Wilomn
You know Brian, it could be the horns. Now that I file mine down regularly I have much less reaction than I used to.

Try it and see if it doesn't help you too.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #33
bcfos
Quote:
You know Brian, it could be the horns. Now that I file mine down regularly I have much less reaction than I used to.

Try it and see if it doesn't help you too.
No Wes it is that darn pointed tail........ And the fact that people who voice their opinions such as I do in Alabama have to have 666 burned in their skin somewhere. Prime example the big thing that happened over the Ten Commandments monument in the state judicial building and the Federal mandate that required its removal. There is a seperation of church and state for a very good reason. The Spanish Inquisition comes to mind right off the bat.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 PM   #34
Wilomn
Yup in Abalama, the state where a child's first words are often uncle daddy, I can see your point.

But you are not trying to imply that the judge who had that 4 ton block of granite secretyly installed in the courthouse MIGHT NOT have been sincere in his reasoning?

Wasn't he up for re-election too?

The topper is, as they were written they were NOT accurate translations of the ORIGINAL ten commandments. I'd say how typically christian here, but don't want to start another sidetracking thread.

Ignorance is bliss, ain't it?

Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #35
Blackwater Reptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by lucille
The can stays closed, Wes. Just everyone forgive poor Lucille OK?
You don't need to be forgiven. You have done nothing wrong and I'm not angry with you in the slightest. I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't asking for a date LOL...

Old 06-14-2004, 11:18 PM   #36
Blackwater Reptiles
Quote:
The topper is, as they were written they were NOT accurate translations of the ORIGINAL ten commandments. I'd say how typically christian here, but don't want to start another sidetracking thread.
Just a side note... apparently a nuance missed in all the concern over the accuracy of the "version" of the Ten Commandments...
The term Christian denotes a person who is a follower of Christ. Christ taught a New Covenant that was different from "The Law" or "The Big Ten" as they might also be called, regardless of what translation you may be familiar with. The Old Covenant was (in 1000 words or less) that man had to keep the law, which is impossible, and to make restitution for the failure to keep the law (sin), an animal (without blemish) sacrifice had to be brought to the temple (the larger the sin, the larger the animal) and the Priest would perform the sacrifice, bla bla bla... But, and this is the important part, the sin was NOT forgiven, it was merely rolled forward. Man fell out of grace and could not communicate with God as a result...

Fast forward a few thousand years when The Christ (Jesus of Nazareth) was born... Jesus lived without sin. He taught The Good News (Gospel), and passed on the New Convenant to his deciples. The new deal is that Christ died on the cross to make restitution for all past, present and future sin. He is The Lamb of God. He allowed himself to be hung up and killed to give us a clean slate. He taught many things, but He specifically spoke of a New Covenant.... an abolishing of the Old Law... and the Forgiveness of sin.

So, the moral of the story is that "Christians" value the "Old Law" because it is a strong foundational position.... "Thou shalt not kill a Hebrew" and all that.. no stealing, no fornicating, honoring our parents, etc... but the basis for Christianity is The CHRIST... not "The Ten" commandments.

I would have thought that someone who knew the difference between the "common" translation and the "real" translation of God's Word would have seperated the old from the new a little more clearly. Orthodox Jews, to this day, try to keep "The Law." Christians believe in The Christ Jesus and not charged with trying to keep the old law. Not that there's anything "wrong" with the Old Law.... it's just not what "Christian" means.

Whether you choose to believe what The Bible says or not, you shouldn't confuse Christians with Jews like that.

That's all I really have to say about that. I'm sorry for continuing the off topic thread, but I felt there needed to be a little clarification.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #37
Wilomn
Common and real, such simple words in and of themselves.

The difference between the "common" and the "real" translation leads me to believe that you believe you are in possesion of the "real" translation of these commandments.

I'll not stray into that minefield with you if you don't mind. So far I've not had anything to disagree with you over and religion is such a touchy thing, especially if you've done any research at all other than what is spoonfed to most "christians".

Even were you to start a theological debate in another thread, the fact that tenuous friendships would be nipped in the bud would keep me out of the fray.

The hebrews have done a good jobs of keeping things fairly accurate, the christians have stolen a good bit from them and everyother faith and belief system that ever existed, but I don't prescribe to any of them in particular.

I will say this though, polititians who proclaim to have such religious beliefs, that feel sooooo strongly that they go against their own constituants, are not doing good for anyone.

There is a seperation between church and state for good reason. Well, there is supposed to be that seperation. Sometimes it's pretty hard to find, especially when there are MILLIONS of voters who DO subscribe to a particular belief and will vote for someone LARGELY because he says he believes the same way.

There I go, time to stop.

To do right because it is the right thing to do is the best I can strive for. It is up to me and me alone to decide what is right as well as what is not right.

To start this fight with well meaning folks who may not agree with my personal views is not right so, and I really mean it this time, I will stop.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 AM   #38
bcfos
Well politicians are just that politicians. They lie, cheat, and steal when they can in search of more power. By having more power also comes more money. Personally I like politics in Louisianna the best. I had a relative who was govonor of that state. He was a sight, and as crooked as they come. Best part was he was honest about being crooked and got himself re-elected because of that fact. Too bad the Feds didn't think it was funny he was crooked and honest about being crooked.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:54 AM   #39
AZ Dragoon
No such thing

There is no such thing as separation of "church and state" and it does not appear anywhere in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. This country was founded on Judea/Christian principles without such you cannot have true freedom. What the liberals are referring to by saying "separation of church" is a clause saying basically that government shall not place one respective religion, Christian, over another. This was done as a result of the situation in England where you had to belong to the Church of England to be accepted by the mainstream or to get anywhere in politics, etc.

This country was not founded as a secular society, per se, but, unfortunately, we are turning in that direction and are starting to pay the price in more ways than one.

Just a little history and religion from a old retired (wonder what would be like to regrow my hair down to my ass, drop another hit of LSD, and watch the uncut version of Woodstock again? NOT!!) hippie.

Kevin

Old 06-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #40
Sybella
That's true...there is no true seperation when "in God we trust" is all over our money and "under God" is in our pledge of allegiance, for all of our kids to memorize.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!