Why must things be Sugar coated? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Why must things be Sugar coated?

Why do people LIKE to be in a sugar coated protective shell when they are members of forums online?

This forum has a reputation, everyone knows it, but i dont think its a BAD one, so much as a "you need to have thick skin to play over in THAT sandbox!" ( which i personally think is a good thing, you know people wont be fake towards you, and will tell you straight up) This forum is also known for its WEALTH of information, and its many extremely experienced members. And Is also known for its members ability to root out the scumbags of this hobby and warn those of us, who otherwise would not know better.

Why would people choose to be in a protective happy eggshell over something like Fauna?

I just wonder.

Feel free to respond, or not. Answer, or pose another question. I dont mind.... But it would be interesting to see some of the members different responses.

I LOVE fauna, i love what it stands for and i love the people.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Shadera
I for one love and appreciate the (sometimes) brutal honesty of this site. It's a refreshing escape from all the other places I've hung out in the past.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Why do people LIKE to be in a sugar coated protective shell when they are members of forums online?

This forum has a reputation, everyone knows it, but i dont think its a BAD one, so much as a "you need to have thick skin to play over in THAT sandbox!" ( which i personally think is a good thing, you know people wont be fake towards you, and will tell you straight up) This forum is also known for its WEALTH of information, and its many extremely experienced members. And Is also known for its members ability to root out the scumbags of this hobby and warn those of us, who otherwise would not know better.

Why would people choose to be in a protective happy eggshell over something like Fauna?

I just wonder.

Feel free to respond, or not. Answer, or pose another question. I dont mind.... But it would be interesting to see some of the members different responses.

I LOVE fauna, i love what it stands for and i love the people.
I wouldn't call it a "sugar-coated, protective eggshell"

I am aware that some think that this kind of behavior (spewing venom, cussing, insulting, and stalking) is normal, and some just LIKE this kind of behavior (go figure). I believe that the reputation that Fauna has HURTS it to some degree. Even the people that come for help are abused. Some of us are just not into spewing venom and hurtful insults just because we are having a bad day or don't like someone.

I, personally, don't want to be called anything other than my name, so if that means that I want to live in a "sugar-coated, protective eggshell, so be it. I also don't seen the need to read pages of insults aimed at anyone by people that just don't like them for their own personal reasons or just have a habit of typing abusive posts.

I think a lot of people feel this way, judging by the fact that so many forums have popped up and they DON'T allow this kind of behavior and they are operating successfully and new members are joining. Personally, if I don't like someone, I leave them alone. I think a lot of the abuse that goes on here is totally unnecessary and as I have seen, so do a lot of other people and they have voiced it, so I know I am not alone in feeling this way.

My question is why do people feel the need to hurt others? I am not talking about hunting the "bad guys" but even the good guys are abused...where are the controls?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I will firstly address that The only reason i posted this thread, was not because it was anything more than, seeing peoples comments lately about "fauna is going to crap , Blah blah blah" and that i just strongly disagree. Its not intended TOWARDS any one particular person. Now that thats out of the way!!!

Deb. I think that a General overall negative attitude towards things, may get negative responses. BUT, to that * so that i dont see someone try to twist that into "well thats why you have negative people joining fauna" ( because thatll just be a BS response, and im calling it out now) people here are not just mean, to be mean. Most everyone is pretty dang friendly. Even those you wouldnt suspect it to be so.
Its a response to an attitude portrayed online, ( immediately calling the site a bunch of idiots is one good response, or generalizing the population of the site to, you all do so and so! or whatever...) Insults are not taken well here! lol
If someone comes on this site, asks for help, gets a FLAT response, and then gets mad because it didnt have a damn smiley after it... well they can suck it up or go elsewhere * as far as im concerned*, why do people feel the need to jump immediately to thinking a response to their post HELPING THEM is anything but it is? This happened very recently....

This is the protective happy bubble that i HATE seeing, people need a smiley or they think someone online is being mean when in fact, theyre just being blunt, or... normal ( THEMSELVES, OH MY GOODNESS PEOPLE ARE REAL HERE???)

I am not HAPPYYYY all the time, i dont pretend to be, and i really dont act it in person hardly ever, maybe exciteable and just in a good mood, but i dont do fake
*A note on the swearing/cursing thing....* I Swear. ALL the time. Does that make me a bad person? and Ugly person? Yet... ill do anything i can for a friend, absolutely. Hrm, I spose you gotta get to know me then!. I Cant STAND when someone tells me to "smile" or "why not smiling? Bad day?". And then gets mad when i say, " Nah, im good, thanks!".... Why do i have to smile to be happy? Or be in a good mood? Why do i have to SHOW im in a good mood... when i AM being nice? I dont get that.... Why do people ASSUME im in a bad mood if im not smiling, or being uber friendly? Damn Eggshells.

Ive asked for help NUMEROUS times on this site, even some pretty silly NOOB stuff, Like... a nose rub. I never got one single negative response?

People are upfront with me, have even told me im flat out wrong, but yet, still did so in a fairly respectful manner.. I didnt see it as anything but them just saying, hey dude... youre wrong! Maybe because im respectful in return or maybe because my skin has grown thick ( thanks To Wes, and davey in that chat room! HAR!) , and dont take immediate offense. I dunno.... Maybe its because i try to give everyone the level of respect i would like myself. I dont think of anyone below me. And i dont think of them lower because they are different than myself.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
WebSlave
I'm still in my busy season with my animals, but my intention is to run this site the way I want it to be, and to hell with what everyone else wants out of it. I have tried to accommodate as many people as possible (including me, concerning the survival of this site as the goal) with one change after another, and it has just never worked out.

I thought some people would be beneficial here because of (or in spite of) their personalities and how that helps to root out the bad guys in the BOI. But they apparently cannot limit their actions to those apparent bad guys where such actions are needed. They act that way towards EVERYONE in every forum they frequent. Those people will soon be gone from here. Or perhaps limited to the few forums where their personalities will be compatible, and sparing the rest of the site from such things. As an example, I basically bent over backwards to try to get Wes to fit in here, and tried everything I could to get him to be a valuable asset to this site. Once I became convinced that he was not able to do that, then he was made gone. There are others in the cross hairs. Some have been issued warnings, and others are about to be. People who appear to be trolls, ARE trolls as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, it may hurt traffic in that some people come here for the entertainment value only. But I personally am not happy with what this site has become and intend to end it. I tried that a while back, but went TOO hard line, too quickly, with the change, so this time around I am going to be a bit more gradual about it. So if yet another change proves to be the death knell of this site, because many people only WANT the entertainment value, then so be it. Cheap thrills watching the gladiators and lions fighting was not my intention with this site, and it is not going to be that way, or it can just go ahead and die.

No, I'm not going to kill off the freedom of expression here. Just the members who take it to extremes to the detriment of everyone else.

I'm tired of being embarrassed that I run this joint. So it can either shape up, or I'm pulling the plug.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I'm still in my busy season with my animals, but my intention is to run this site the way I want it to be, and to hell with what everyone else wants out of it. I have tried to accommodate as many people as possible (including me, concerning the survival of this site as the goal) with one change after another, and it has just never worked out.

I thought some people would be beneficial here because of (or in spite of) their personalities and how that helps to root out the bad guys in the BOI. But they apparently cannot limit their actions to those apparent bad guys where such actions are needed. They act that way towards EVERYONE in every forum they frequent. Those people will soon be gone from here. Or perhaps limited to the few forums where their personalities will be compatible, and sparing the rest of the site from such things. As an example, I basically bent over backwards to try to get Wes to fit in here, and tried everything I could to get him to be a valuable asset to this site. Once I became convinced that he was not able to do that, then he was made gone. There are others in the cross hairs. Some have been issued warnings, and others are about to be. People who appear to be trolls, ARE trolls as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, it may hurt traffic in that some people come here for the entertainment value only. But I personally am not happy with what this site has become and intend to end it. I tried that a while back, but went TOO hard line, too quickly, with the change, so this time around I am going to be a bit more gradual about it. So if yet another change proves to be the death knell of this site, because many people only WANT the entertainment value, then so be it. Cheap thrills watching the gladiators and lions fighting was not my intention with this site, and it is not going to be that way, or it can just go ahead and die.

No, I'm not going to kill off the freedom of expression here. Just the members who take it to extremes to the detriment of everyone else.

I'm tired of being embarrassed that I run this joint. So it can either shape up, or I'm pulling the plug.
I see what you are saying rich.

For one, And i dont know if i speak for others here or not, but i think that The freedom of expression here is what makes fauna such a great place. Maybe not the exremes, I agree wholeheartedly in that aspect, i think there should be some level of control, because yes, quite frankly people can get out of hand. But the fact that you dont delete threads when a little bubble of a problem pops up, instead of letting it sort itself out is a great thing. It gives this site more power in the fact that... if someone starts to show their true colors, they will hang themselves if given the rope. I like the higher set standards of our peers in regards to how one does business, and presents themselves online here.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I see what you are saying rich.

For one, And i dont know if i speak for others here or not, but i think that The freedom of expression here is what makes fauna such a great place. Maybe not the exremes, I agree wholeheartedly in that aspect, i think there should be some level of control, because yes, quite frankly people can get out of hand. But the fact that you dont delete threads when a little bubble of a problem pops up, instead of letting it sort itself out is a great thing. It gives this site more power in the fact that... if someone starts to show their true colors, they will hang themselves if given the rope. I like the higher set standards of our peers in regards to how one does business, and presents themselves online here.
Yes, I agree. But that is only appropriate in the BOI (and perhaps HELL), but the rest of the site needs to have that sort of crap left out of it. I'm waiting to see how the upgrade can help me in this regard, because the newer version has a native version of something like the warning system already built in. If the new code allows it, my intention is to lower the ban level for warning points, and make the boot in the rear permanent. No fines, no amnesties, just out of here for good. The site mods will (and do now) have the power to ban members for variable durations on the spot for any infractions they deem suitable for behavior modification.

Speaking of which, I believe I am going to drop the separate moderators in the separate forums and go with site mods only. Possibly adding one or more in the process. Nothing against those people already in those forum mod positions, it's just that I need to streamline things here, and this seems like one way to do that.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs
I for one love and appreciate the (sometimes) brutal honesty of this site. It's a refreshing escape from all the other places I've hung out in the past.
I think the Honesty is a big thing! and that its a pretty integral part of this site! I appreciate it greatly too, Good or Bad

Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
BryonsBoas
I don't sugar coat anything. I really don't support or use the Politically correct crap either. I call it as I see it. Some days I'll use better judgment on how word a post , some days I straight shoot it as I think it. Not everyone agrees with what I say or how I say it but whoever I'm speaking to knows exactly where they stand with me or where I stand on that subject.

I'm a member of another site that likes the sugar coating. I RARELY ever post there since the mods have free reign to change or edit member's posts as they see fit. I don't like it so I don't support it by not going there.

Your going to have spiteful people no matter what forum you go to. As they get removed from one , they move to another. The ignore feature and report a post feature are great tools for expediting them to the door.

HOWEVER .... what some may think is trollish behavior , isn't. I've been in disagreements on this site that some folks from the lands of sweet & honey think is trollish behavior. If I see info posted that I feel is wrong or could cause potential harm , death or vet visits due to injury , I'll argue that its wrong till the cows come.

I am the way the way I am on here and in the real world. I've been here so long due to the ability for me to be bluntly honest and say whats on my mind and be able to own the words I type , not words that mods decide I should have said. If folks want sugar coated , I am NOT the guy to talk to.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
The problem is some people think freedom of expression is being able to say whatever they like in whichever circumstance which is a falacy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!