A new classifieds system on this site - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #31
WebSlave
Steven, I hope that last reply of mine doesn't come across too harshly. I was thinking about it while I was feeding snakes after posting it. It wasn't meant that way.

Both of these new toys (Photo Gallery and new classifieds) were bought and installed to try to accomodate requests from users over the last few months for the features they provide. But it is kind of frustrating that trying to accomodate requests is much like trying to pop a balloon by squeezing it to death. All it does is make another part of it bigger without really changing anything permanently. Honestly I do try to do what I can to accomodate requests, although it may not be right away, and it may be as time and funds allow.

When I do get feedback, I have this character flaw within me that I will try to explain the "why" of what I do, sometimes in more detail then anyone really cares to know about. Sometimes in an effort to post as much as I can as quickly as I can, will come out sounding more abrasive then I had intended it to be. But no, I am not one to eat the messenger when you bring me bad news......

Time to hit the hay. Getting up early and heading down to have Christmas with some friends in a few hours.....

Old 12-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #32
WebSlave
I ran this problem about the feedback system past my programmer, and he things he can just eliminate the feedback system of the new classifieds program and tie directly into the existing Traders Ratings system that now exists on FC. We'll just see what he comes up with, I guess.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #33
WebSlave
OK, the independent rating system within the new classifieds program has been removed and the existing one on this message board incorporated into the design. So, the Trader Ratings system will work across both systems.

Wring this thing out for me, please, and let me know if you see anything else that looks like it needs to be polished up before public release.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #34
progeckos
Well Rich I’ve been playing around and everything seems to be working fine. The biggest I problem I still see is the preview area. I was posting ads with pictures, bold and larger fonts, along with colors and they all showed up in the preview section. The idea for paying for the highlighted, bold, and italic ads would be thrown out the window. I have a link below to the Caging, Supplies & Services For Sale section where it will show you what I’m talking about.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/pp_c...hp?cat=7&page=

Another thing that would be nice to have is a preview button. I don’t know about everyone else but I like knowing the HTML or VB code is all correct before posting an ad. I don’t know if it’s possible but that would be great…

Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 PM   #35
WebSlave
Well Cody, thanks for that demonstration of why the developers disabled HTML within the description field of those ads. I may have to seriously rethink this issue. If something CAN be abused, it WILL be abused, sure as shootin. I think this is going to be one of those "between a rock and a hard place" kind of issues I am going to have to make a decision on.

One alternative may be to scrap the short section of description text altogether in the classifieds listings. That would certainly sidestep this issue.

I'll have to put on my "Tom Terrific" (showing my age again) thinking cap for this one.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:03 AM   #36
WebSlave
Question

My first attempt was to use the code that originally inhibited the HTML formatting from showing up in the ad listings. This worked OK, but it showed the raw HTML formatting codes within the short description shown in those ad listings. Looked ugly to me, but liveable, if necessary. But instead of stopping there, I just removed the description code entirely from the listings. Now you have to click on the ad itself in order to see the actual text within the description field. The actual classified ad listings within the category selections only show the topic line of the classified, and who posted it.

Of my choices available, this seems to produce the best result, in my opinion.

Please check it out further and see if you can find anymore wrinkles that need to be ironed out.

Thanks for your help with this.....

Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #37
Sasheena
I like it with the description left only for those who click the link. To me it makes it look a lot better, and that's great if it is the easiest/quickest fix for you too.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #38
progeckos
That looks a lot better Rich, I like it. Another thing, how are the ads re-listed? Is there a classified CP similar to the one we have now? Other than that everything seems to be working fine.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #39
WebSlave
You can view all of your ads via a link that says "My ads". From there you have the option to edit the ad, mark it as "sold", and a few other things. But I have no idea about renewing it. Maybe a notice will be sent to you, but I really don't know. There might be something about that somewhere, but this didn't really come with a manual. Not that I read those darn things anyway......

Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 PM   #40
progeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
But I have no idea about renewing it. Maybe a notice will be sent to you, but I really don't know.
Sounds good Rich. I think the email notification would be the best. I really like it with the forums.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!