Is this aggressive behavior? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
Brenda777
Is this aggressive behavior?

When I got my bearded dragon he was 5 inches long. He is 6 1/2 inches long now. He used to tolerate me holding him. Now he seems to run and puff out his beard and open his mouth like he is going to bite. Is he starting to become aggressive or is this normal behavior for juveniles? I was taking him out to feed him crickets but now he doesn't want me to touch him. I see a lot of pictures where someone is holding a bearded dragon. I don't want to just let him sit in his enclosure without holding him once in awhile. I am afraid he won't want to be touched at all.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
Lol, He has reached the age of where he is going to try to train you.

Be persistant in picking him up and holding him. He won't like it at first but he will eventually get used to it. If you back your hand away and let him have his way everytime, your just reinforcing his control over the situation.

Your the boss!!!

Good luck,

Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Brenda777
Reminds me of my dogs. I get afraid he is going to bite me so I jump a little. Guess I will just have to be firm. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Cat_72
LOL, think of him as a teenager......he'll come 'round as he matures with plenty of handling and care.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
prodigy9618
Also be sure that he sees your hand the whole time. Dont think that sneaking up on him is the answer. And make sure that you dont pick him up from over top, be ure to slide your hand under him. Some of mine dont care how you pick them up, others will jump and give you the look if you try to pick them up from over top of them. Good Luck

Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Brenda777
I hope he's not a stubborn teenager. I have been picking him up from the top. It was the only way to get him from the spot he basks. I just guess I'll have to try to coax him into my hand. He knows where to go where I can't get him and just seems to taunt me. Yeah a stubborn teenager to the core. Ya got to love em.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
prodigy9618
They are kind of hard to get off the braches and you kind of have to pull them off from the top but try to have a hand right beside the branch and kind of pull him to the side onto your hand, It may just be a trust thing and alot of them dont trust us being held from overhead. Also try to bribe him with treats. If he is big enough then you can use Superworms, if not you could probably use waxworms. Good Luck

Old 05-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Brenda777
Sounds good. I will give it a try. He is only 6 1/2 inches long. I think too little for superworms. He seems to like veggies more than the crickets. I was so excited though today. He let me feed him by hand for the first time. I gave him some romaine lettuce. I am to excited

Old 05-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
prodigy9618
You'll have 3 more by the end of the year.lol

Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Brenda777
You'll have 3 more what????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!