Bad Guy Embergeckos - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
bmr1052
Well I was only suggesting contacting them because as you stated in your first post you contacted them when you first had a suspicion it might not be a SG. You were then told to give it time, which you now have. Will he do anything? Who knows but its hard for him to stand behind him selling you a SG if it is as small as you say. You have a scale? Maybe you can post a pic of the current weight.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Kristi23
You should still contact them and make them aware of the situation.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Kristi23
I did find this on their website:

Giant Rule:

Super Giant
Male – Must reach at least 110 grams in its first 12 months of life.
Female – Must reach at least 90 grams in its first 12 months of life.
Giant

Male – Must reach at least 80 to 109 grams in its first 12 months of life.
Female – Must reach at least 60 to 89 grams in its first 12 months of life. I have noted that this female number is the most common size to hit in our experience.

But I found no guarantee or what to do if the gecko doesn't reach that size. If I were embergecko, I would make sure the gecko you are showing is the gecko they sold you. You prove the weight. If it is not even giant weight, they should either refund some money or send you a super giant that is already around a year old. That's what I would do for a customer. You won't know what they'd do unless you contact them and try to work things out.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
kkiggins
James did give me a $100 credit when I contacted him regarding this specific thread and the fact that I, too, had a non-super-giant giant. I don't think he is intentionally misrepresenting animals, but as long as people believe that genetics care about weight, we will continue to see this kind of poor understanding. After working with the gene for a full season, I can see distinctive indicators in the animals that I believe to be super giants. Dominic, the picture you presented side by side with a known super tells the story. Giants simply don't get as long as supers.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
zetagecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi23 View Post
You should still contact them and make them aware of the situation.
I have told them of my situation a while back and they insisted to let it "grow" out. here is the sunglow.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetagecko View Post
I have told them of my situation a while back and they insisted to let it "grow" out. here is the sunglow.
But you've grown it out now, so they should know that it's still too small. You should update them and also make them aware of this thread.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi23 View Post
But you've grown it out now, so they should know that it's still too small. You should update them and also make them aware of this thread.
I agree. I went ahead and sent them a link here with the subject line 'updates in thread'.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I agree. I went ahead and sent them a link here with the subject line 'updates in thread'.
Thank you!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
zetagecko
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you lucille and everyone. Im pretty sure eventually he will see this post. James has always had all my contact information and the ball has always been in his court to do the right thing. All I ever wanted originally was to have him just admit it was not a SG he sold me. But since he insisted as being a SG, I have taken the time to disprove that this sunglow is not a sg and I think Ill leave it at that. It never was about the money, but the fact that if I bought something, it has to be what I originally wanted, which was a sg sunglow. To me life is too short to settle for anything less than what you originally wanted.

Keith, Im glad he gave you a credit of $100, but I would feel replacing it with a sg would be a much better solution since we all know the time effort and money it takes to grow out a gecko...

As to the Sg standard, I strongly feel there should be some self policing of the standards of SG amongst responsible breeders since ultimately it is the hobbyist who are going to have the bad taste and walk away from the hobby. Its ok for breeders to disclose they are not sure if it is an SG or not. At least that way, hobbyist can determine for themselves if it is a risk they are willing to take.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #30
kkiggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetagecko View Post
Keith, Im glad he gave you a credit of $100, but I would feel replacing it with a sg would be a much better solution since we all know the time effort and money it takes to grow out a gecko...

As to the Sg standard, I strongly feel there should be some self policing of the standards of SG amongst responsible breeders since ultimately it is the hobbyist who are going to have the bad taste and walk away from the hobby. Its ok for breeders to disclose they are not sure if it is an SG or not. At least that way, hobbyist can determine for themselves if it is a risk they are willing to take.
Well said, and agreed. The bottom line with the giant gene is, it is a gene, and affects the overall size and body configuration of the gecko, making it longer and elongated. Why weight became such an important factor, I have no idea. I guess people want their geckos to be obese in order to call them big.

I accepted the credit because I wanted to be done with the situation. I ended up getting a true super out of the deal for not a lot more money, and the difference was obvious in that animal very early on. It is nearing 7 months, and is clearly longer than a giant at that age.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!