Double Clutching!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
ReptileJay
Double Clutching!!!

Ok,
So I'm not 100% sure how common it is for a western hognose female to lay multiple clutches in a single season, but so far... all my girls but one have done so...
First girl laid 9 bad eggs, and 2 months later laid 8 good ones.
Second girl laid 14 good eggs, and looks like she's about to lay again,
Third girl laid 6 bad eggs and 2 good eggs, just laid another 8 good ones today (40 days later).
Forth girl laid 6 good eggs (hatched just recently), and looks like she may lay again...

Should I be EXPECTING all my girls to lay multiple clutches per season?? (not complaining... just a little shocked to find more eggs this morning...)

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Gregg Madden
It is quite normal for female hogs to double clutch... My female laid 10 good eggs and 2 slugs on 6/17/10 and then laid 9 good eggs on 7/30/10...

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
inhisgrip30
Are they double clutching from the same male or two separate males? I will soon have 2.1 poss double het for snow hoggies and wonder if i can have both males introduced to her and possibly have her double clutch from that...or even if i can do both of them anyway and have them both take like i've heard of/seen in some ball pythons...

Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Gregg Madden
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhisgrip30 View Post
Are they double clutching from the same male or two separate males? I will soon have 2.1 poss double het for snow hoggies and wonder if i can have both males introduced to her and possibly have her double clutch from that...or even if i can do both of them anyway and have them both take like i've heard of/seen in some ball pythons...
You can have a female lay a clutch from one male and the second clutch you can use a different male...

Old 10-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
ddodge
I've had some of mine double without reintroducing at all and dropping 11 good eggs as a result.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!