Hognose bite! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
HerpLover74
Hognose bite!

Ok, welp, I am here to ask anyone who has any info on treating a hognose snake bite. lol I have a mexican hognose which has taken his bad day out on me. He did his "chewing" action which didn't feel the greatest... and now I am left with a very swollen hand which is tender to the touch. He got me on my finger and that finger along with another finger and my whole right side of my hand is very tight, almost hard feeling. That has since gone away but still have a huge hand. The only reason that I am asking.... is because it really does hurt... lol and was wondering if anyone knew anything that I could do?

It's actually very embarrassing because I have had snakes for about 10 years now and never been bit..... hmmm guess there is a first for everything? Yeah, I know.... bad joke. lol

Thanks!
Danielle

Old 08-31-2003, 12:18 PM   #2
Missymonkey
(I'm no doc. but I teach first aid classes so here's my opinion)

I would see a doctor, it may be infected if it's all swollen.

Aside from that, take an Advil as they help releave swelling, soak it in cold water for ten minutes let it warm back to norm. temp and then soak it in warm water for ten minutes, try this a few times to loosen it up. And put neosporin or a triple anti-biotic on it with gauze wrapped around it after you have cleaned it out as much as possible with soap and water. Try to keep in elevated if its bleeding at all or if you have that pounding sensation whenever your heart beats. After it begins to heal try to use it to encourage circulation which can help it to heal faster.

If it starts to smell bad, get pussy, turn funky colors, hurt alot or become numb or hot, then get thee to a doctor fast.

Be careful, if it gets really bad you could end up with a nasty infection and could possibly loose your hand and that would suck.

get better!!!

Missy

Old 08-31-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
It's swollen because he's had a reaction to being envenomated by the hognose.
Not saying it can't or won't get infected, but doubt it's gotten infected that quickly.

As far as treatment, I know of nothing but to wait it out. If you have secondary symptoms, you might want to see a doctor, but that's highly unlikely.
Here's a pictorial of the results of a reaction to a hog bite.
http://www.herpnet.net/bite

Old 08-31-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
HerpLover74
Thanks for the replies!! Looks like I will just keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected. Those pics pretty much look like my hand ...

Thank you both for the info!!

Danielle

Old 08-31-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
It would have been better if the fellow had given a full account of the bite sequence. He stopped at 45 hours and swelling to the elbow.
I'd be interested to know how long it took for the swelling to begin to subside and how long before the hand was normal again.
I haven't come across any better documentation of a reaction though, and I don't know of anyone personally that's had a reaction to a hog bite.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
HerpLover74
Yes, it has been about 50 hours since the bite... and doesn't seem to have gone down any. We will see how long this takes....

Danielle

Old 08-31-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
meretseger
Well.. whenever I get stung by a yellowjacket the swelling goes away abruptly after 72 hours so... hang in there!

Erin B.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:29 AM   #8
HerpLover74
Is that pretty much the same type of bite?

Old 09-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #9
Missymonkey
ew!

Wow, those pictures are gross! I'd never seen such swelling from such a little bite.

Gro-Tay

Get better, get better, get better!

Old 09-02-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Stardust
That was a good link that you found Clay. I am now looking at my baby hog in a different light. I hold him everyday so he gets used to being held.
Hope the swelling goes down for you soon, keep us updated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!