Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 28 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #271
Snakesitter
Heathy appetite on the little guy!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #272
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Heathy appetite on the little guy!
Definitely. And a good thing, too. He's about caught up with the others now.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #273
Snakesitter
Great news!!!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #274
cguarino30
All holdbacks were fed chick thighs, the three unscented pinkie-eaters were fed unscented pinkies. T1 was offered a f/t anole, and the scented-pinkie eaters were fed scented pinkies.

The stubborn non-holdback was fed an anole-scented pinkie. This is a little bit of a change, but since he is the last of the non-holdbacks to eat rodents, I feel it would be better to move him to a group that was eating anole-scented pinkies, as I anticipate moving T1 and T3 that way shortly as well, just for the sake of consolidation. Hopefully, he eats it.

I will update tomorrow with results.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #275
cguarino30
Not a great night. All holdbacks ate without issue. This is almost always the case. I'm not sure if it is the fact that they are always offered chick thighs, or if it is because they were all selected for appetite/vigor, among other things. Probably a combination of the two.

T1 ate the f/t anole.

The stubborn non-holdback (who will now be referred to as T4, for brevity's sake) did not eat the anole-scented pinkie. I think I am going to move T4 to a f/t anole diet, and then try to transition to anole-scented pinkies, as I am doing with T1 and will be doing with T3 shortly.

T3 did not eat last night, and seems to be taking his time a bit now that he has caught up. Probably a good thing, seeing as how he has eaten almost 10 anoles in 2 weeks.

2 out of 3 unscented pinkie eaters ate, which is good.

However, of the scented pinkie eaters, only one out of seven ate the scented pinkie. These were f/t pinkies scented with chick brains, which should have done the trick, especially considering the 2 week fasting period. Despite my efforts, I have not been able to recreate the numbers I got that one week. I have a theory on this. The only thing I can narrow down as having been different that week was that I fed the Jamaicans after I fed my hatchling house snakes, some of whom were given pinkies washed in ivory soap. I often use the ivory soap method to get stubborn colubrid hatchlings to eat, and I'm wondering if the residual soap in the cup (I used the same cup) helped to wash the pinkies before scenting. Next week, I will try washing the pinkies in ivory soap for the scented pinkie eater group, and we will see if I can recreate the numbers from a few weeks ago.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #276
Snakesitter
Ivory soap? Wow, never would have guessed. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #277
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Ivory soap? Wow, never would have guessed. Good luck!
Its really counterintuitive but it works like a charm with reluctant colubrids. I've never tried it with goods before. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #278
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino30 View Post
Its really counterintuitive but it works like a charm with reluctant colubrids. I've never tried it with goods before. Fingers crossed.
Autocorrect got me. Goods should've been boids.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #279
GillianC
I'm certainly happy to only be stressing out about one of these little guys, but since Harper has started eating he hasn't actually given me anything to worry about. I weighed him again, and at 17.3 grams he has gained about 2 grams since being here. He's been on a bit of a fast since I noticed he went into shed, but I woke up to a fresh skin this morning, handled him a bit, and he just ate his scented pinky (only 12 hours post-handling). I doubt he's caught up to his siblings, but if he keeps up his appetite he could get there pretty soon!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #280
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianC View Post
I'm certainly happy to only be stressing out about one of these little guys, but since Harper has started eating he hasn't actually given me anything to worry about. I weighed him again, and at 17.3 grams he has gained about 2 grams since being here. He's been on a bit of a fast since I noticed he went into shed, but I woke up to a fresh skin this morning, handled him a bit, and he just ate his scented pinky (only 12 hours post-handling). I doubt he's caught up to his siblings, but if he keeps up his appetite he could get there pretty soon!
He is certainly doing well for you. I wouldn't necessarily compare him to his siblings. Keep up the good work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!