Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 37 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #361
cguarino30
Did some cleaning out today, and some of the adults were looking particularly awesome due to some recent sheds, so I snapped a few shots. The first three are of the dam for last year's clutch, Alexandria. I'd say she's just about back to breeding condition, after about 6 months worth of heavy feeding. It goes to show how important it is to give them every other year off. She's got a lot more girth to her now that she's back up to weight. For size reference, those cages are 4 feet long. Gotta love that inky-black tail.

The last shot is of Lucia (yellow female) and Kingston (orange male), the pair I'm hoping to breed this year. They've been locking up on and off for weeks now, so I'm feeling optimistic for some more, unrelated babies in the Fall. They both shed last week and are back at it again, as you can see. Just love the color on these guys.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #362
Snakesitter
I'd say another 35 little ones are in your future….give or take ten escapees. ;-)

Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 AM   #363
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
I'd say another 35 little ones are in your future….give or take ten escapees. ;-)
Haha. Hopefully learned my lesson on the escapees. I won't be underestimating those little buggers the second time around. I'm planning on stopping up the gap between the sliding doors with foam or something.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #364
Helenthereef
Great to see the adults, they look wonderful, and I totally agree about the year off.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #365
cguarino30
Thanks, Helen. That female is probably my favorite adult, but she wasn't old enough to breed until this year. I'm excited to see what they produce.

Everyone was fed today in the normal fashion, with the following exceptions:

T1 was fed an anole with a pinkie head stuck in its mouth. Kind of a shot in the dark, here, but I had the extra pinkie head (my hatchling striped house snakes are too small for whole pinkies) and figured it was worth a shot.

N1 was fed a f/t pinkie COVERED in chick fuzz. I've noticed that when I'm using the scissors to prepare the chick thighs, they get covered in the fuzz, so I figured I'd put it to good use as a scenting method.

In the coming weeks, I'm going to try a more insistent attempt to get some of the N group onto pinkies. I'm thinking that their reticence is largely based on their lack of appetite, since they are mostly males, who are notorious for this. I'll keep everyone updated with results.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #366
cguarino30
Well, this just feels strange to report, but everyone ate everything they were given. No exceptions. No half-feedings, nothing. haha. Can't remember ever writing that before in this thread.

There are a few big takeaways here:

E2 is reliably back on feed, which is nice. Just goes to show that even moderate inappetence is generally nothing to worry about.

N1 ate the chick fuzz covered pinkie. I am going to try to use this method on a few others to get them eating pinkies, and will gradually decrease the amount of fuzz until they are eating unscented.

T1 ate the anole w/ pinkie head. This is the first bit of pinkie ever eaten by T1. Not sure if I just tricked him into eating it, or if this will help to get him onto pinkies, but it's certainly the first step in the right direction. I will continue to do this over time, gradually increasing the pinkie ratio until, hopefully, we can get T1 onto pinkies as well.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #367
toddnbecka
Awesome development!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #368
cguarino30
Feeding day again yesterday, with some mixed results. Core holdbacks (E3, H2, H3, and H4) were fed two chick thighs each, pinkie eaters (P1, P2, and T3) were fed pinkies, T1 was fed an anole covered in pinkie brains and with a pinkie stuffed in its mouth, and everyone else was fed a chick thigh and a chick-scented pinkie.

E2, oddly enough, skipped the chick thigh and ate ONLY the pinkie. Never seen that before, but since this is E2's first attempt at pinkies, perhaps he just prefers them. H2 ate only one of the thighs, but skipped the other. H5 ate both the thigh and the pinkie, but H6 ate only the thigh.

None of the N group ate the pinkie, only the thigh. T1 somehow managed to remove the pinkie from the anole's mouth, but did eat the anole that was heavily scented with pinkie brains. T4 did not eat at all.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #369
Helenthereef
T1 is showing character and initiative!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #370
Snakesitter
T1 is a creative little thing!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!