Boy Kills Giant Turtle - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #91
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
So what you all are saying that is every hunter out there, hunts legally and only hunts to feed their families? I don't think so.
That is absolutely correct! If you do not hunt legally then you are not a hunter! How much more simple can we make it? Mcfly??

Quote:
I didn't say anyone was lazy...so same goes for you ... don't put words in my mouth.
Yes you did. Don't you remember this?:

Quote:
Hunting to feed your family, maybe a job would take care of that.
You are implying that if you are having a hard time feeding your family that you should go get a job. Not a better job, not a different job, but A JOB. Implying that the person in question is lazy and does not work. How soon we forget....

Quote:
I even said that that if I had hunt to feed my family, then maybe I would. I have never been in a position where I could not afford to feed my family.
And as I said before, I don't think all hunting is senseless.
And even if I had to hunt to feed my family I would still prefer to see them alive than dead. That is still my preference.
How would you know what "senseless hunting" is since you have yet to define it!!!

Quote:
You cant tell me every hunter out there has to hunt to feed their family because there is no other way !
I do not need to hunt in order to feed my family. I enjoy being part of nature, spending time in the woods, and I truly enjoy harvesting the animal. It's the thrill of the chase, it's the thrill of being able to provide for my family on my own terms, it's the thrill of knowing that I am using my talents and resources.

You see Jim, you and I are actually both hunters. I choose to "hunt" for my food on my terms and in the woods. You "hunt" for your food in a supermarket where you pay based upon their terms. The real difference here is that I choose to acknowledge this vs you casting dispersions upon people who do the same. You just don't realize which boat you are actually in.

Griz

Old 07-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #92
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Quote:
I geuss for you to take it so personal, you must feel quilty about some thing.?
I DO feel a little quilty, but I'm on a diet so...

Quote:
Why did you answer the rest of the questions?
I didn't answer the rest of your questions because for every logical answer someone gives you, you come back with a different version of your same illogical answers.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #93
homegrownherps
You people are going to twist what I say no matter what, so enjoy yourself.
I will believe in what I wish, even if you don't think I have good enough reason to.

Don't choke on any of that deer meat.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #94
Griz
Quote:
You people are going to twist what I say no matter what, so enjoy yourself.
I will believe in what I wish, even if you don't think I have good enough reason to.

Don't choke on any of that deer meat.
That's fine Jim. I do wish you nothing but the best. And, I hope that one day you will come to realize that it's not your belief system in question. It's how you derived at those beliefs. It's WHY you believe what you do. Simply saying, that's just how it is, does not cut it especially when some of your views are so contrary to rational thought.

Griz

Old 07-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #95
varnyard
I will say one thing, and I am not taking sides here. But If hunters did not harvest some of the deer, then disease and starvation would kill most of the herds. Hunters keep the population in check. Years ago predators took care of over populations, but not now that most of the predators are gone.

However, alagator snappers are never going to over populate. Between reproducing too slow, and predation by varmints, it makes it not the best species for over populating.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #96
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
I will say one thing, and I am not taking sides here. But If hunters did not harvest some of the deer, then disease and starvation would kill most of the herds. Hunters keep the population in check. Years ago predators took care of over populations, but not now that most of the predators are gone.

However, alagator snappers are never going to over populate. Between reproducing too slow, and predation by varmints, it makes it not the best species for over populating.
I don't know if you hunt or not. But "years ago" how many predators were there to help control the population?
Here in Florida I can only think of the occasional lucky gator. But most of the time gators look for food that is already dead. For the most part gators are scavengers. I have seen coyote here in north Florida, but have never seen any in south Florida.
I don't think coyotes can bring down a deer. I am guessing that if a coyote had the opportunity they could possible snag a fawn.

Other than old age/sickness and humans, what predators to deer have?

Old 07-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #97
kmurphy
Quote:
However, alagator snappers are never going to over populate. Between reproducing too slow, and predation by varmints, it makes it not the best species for over populating

I am not disagreeing with you but this may or may not be true. You really don't see alligator snappers so how do you know there aren't too many in a particular river? The point is well taken though.

I am a hunter who has never rationalized that I am actually doing something beneficial for the deer population by killing them. Where I am from there aren't that many deer. The population is manipulated by the fish & game for me to able to hunt. I've always thought the overpopulation argument to be a load of crap just as much as the statistics that Jim produced earlier. The hunting lobby has their propaganda and the anti-hunter's have theirs. I trust the fish & game department to make sure the yield is sustainable. I love hunting and am confortable with my decision.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #98
varnyard
Quote:
I don't know if you hunt or not. But "years ago" how many predators were there to help control the population?
Here in Florida I can only think of the occasional lucky gator. But most of the time gators look for food that is already dead. For the most part gators are scavengers. I have seen coyote here in north Florida, but have never seen any in south Florida.
I don't think coyotes can bring down a deer. I am guessing that if a coyote had the opportunity they could possible snag a fawn.

Other than old age/sickness and humans, what predators to deer have?
Not just gators, but black bear, red wolves and panthers were here to keep the population in check. The last three I stated are far from prevalent. They are animals that were on the top of the food chain, they are now all rare in our state.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #99
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Not just gators, but black bear, red wolves and panthers were here to keep the population in check. The last three I stated are far from prevalent. They are animals that were on the top of the food chain, they are now all rare in our state.
Yes I have heard of black bear and panthers being here. I didn't know bears were a predator to deer. I have never heard of the Red Wolf being in Florida, would you say that they were mostly found in north Florida?

I would think that the increasing population most likely plays the biggest part of the declining wildlife habitat, which would force them to gather in one area - making it look like there are an over abundance.

Causing people to think they need to be thinned out.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #100
hhmoore
Quote:
not singly, but a few together can exhaust it until it falters. same way a "pack" of strays can bring one down

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!