Help with an american gator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
clarinet45
Help with an american gator

Does anyone have some tips on feeding? Any pics of tanks or outside enclosures? thanks!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
clarinet45
Here are some pics i took today:

Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
meljonez
Hi, well I have a baby gator also, I have a very large tank with rock so that he can get out of the water some plants so that he can hide and a piece of an old dry out wooden tree well I feed him crickets, gold fish, he enjoys the hunt, and also baby pinkies, thats it, if you have any more question maybe i can help you ttyl buh bye

Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Rattlesnake
Why are you people keeping Alligators as pets? They are not pets, and it is cruel to the Alligator to keep them penned up in small containers, without the foresight that you are going to release them in the future? And by the way, releasing captive raised Alligators back into the wild is not good for the Alligator or the other Alligators they may interact with.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
clarinet45
1. who says i keep it in a small tank? it's huge compared to what most animals get.
2. I don't treat it like a pet like i would my beardies. Because i know he will never be tame and i don't expect him to be.
3. who said anything about releasing a CB gator into the wild?

what animals do you keep? or are you one of those PETA freaks that don't believe any animal should be in captivity?

Old 08-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
Why are you people keeping Alligators as pets? They are not pets, and it is cruel to the Alligator to keep them penned up in small containers, without the foresight that you are going to release them in the future? And by the way, releasing captive raised Alligators back into the wild is not good for the Alligator or the other Alligators they may interact with.
I think this is a really misguided statement. Especially since the OP mentioned wanting outside enclosure pics as well.

I know sara and i know she dosnt think of this animal as a "domestic" pet by any means. I also know that she has plans to build an out of doors enclosure when her gator gets bigger as well.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
clarinet45
oh, and for what it's worth, the reason gators are not endangered anymore is because gator farms were dictated to release a certain % into the wild. OMG, CB gators in the wild? HOW DO THEY LIVE!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
kmurphy
Quote:
oh, and for what it's worth, the reason gators are not endangered anymore is because gator farms were dictated to release a certain % into the wild. OMG, CB gators in the wild? HOW DO THEY LIVE!!!!!!
Sara, you really shouldn't make statements like this when you have no way of backing them up. Commercial alligator farming did play a part in allgator recovery but it certainly isn't the only reason. To be honest I'm not sure if they released alligators or just provided skins for the leather trade thereby lowering the amount of poaching. Anyway alligators are pretty prolific so, with protection, they would have rebounded in any case.

A 1/2 ton 10 ft alligator is going to be a lot to handle. If you've made arrangements for when that happens then great. It seems unlikely though, given you're asking husbandry questions now, after you've already acquired the animal. Too many people don't think beyond the first few years, when the animal lives 50 or 60. I congratulate you if I'm wrong.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
clarinet45
http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0102/alligator.html
"Each July, alligator eggs are gathered from wild nests across the Terrebonne Estuary in south-central Louisiana and brought to the DANECO farmstead. The eggs hatch in August. Within 18 months, the young alligators have grown to harvest size. By law, farmers must release 14 percent of these juvenile alligators back into the wild. Biologists believe that the number of alligators currently released exceeds the number of young alligators that would survive if they had been hatched in the wild."

there are other articles out there, this is the most recent i could find. Now the alligator is so prolific, they are allowing an alligator hunting season.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
clarinet45
Quote:
Does anyone have some tips on feeding? Any pics of tanks or outside enclosures?
TIPS on feeding, i know how much and what to feed him, i am using tongs now, but have been unsuccessful in getting him to take it from the tongs. I just have to lay it on his bricks and hope he eats it before it stinks :O
I have what i think is a great tank for him, but i am always interested in what others are doing. i know temps, UVB, etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!