Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
Rebel Dragons
Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead???

I just had a news alert pop up on my com saying he died in a marine accident. It didn't open when I clicked it though. Has anyone seen anything about this???

Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
varnyard
This is what I found. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin deadBy staff writers
September 04, 2006 02:14pm
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

With The Courier Mail and AAP

Old 09-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Intense Herpetoculture
Wow, I meet with Steve for a few hours in 2000 when he was filming in Texas on rattlesnakes. I have to say he was a wonderful guy full of energy and his heart always seemed in the right place. He will be missed.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Rebel Dragons
I liked his shows and thought he was a pretty great guy when it came to conservation and education. I always thought he would die between the jaws of a croc though. Who would have thought it would have been a stingray that did him in........

Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Matt Haines
I always figured he would die by a venomous snake since he was always careless with the way he held them for filming of his show.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
ffollett
Unreal. Who would have figured a sting ray would have gotten him.

He will be missed. I feel bad for his wife and kids.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
varnyard
This is a sad day for the reptile world for sure!! He was a awesome guy in our hobby, and in life, I can't keep from thinking about how good he was with his wife and children. He really seemed to be a good guy for sure. What a loss...

Old 09-04-2006, 02:17 AM   #8
RosterImposter
Insane, I agree with the above posts, who would have thought a stingray. If things go the way I plan on and become a zoologist, Ive already made peace with the possible ways I would die...Never would have thought about stingrays...

I didnt even know the guy, and even I feel bad. I didnt realize how much his life has influenced mine till now. The saying is true, you never realize what you have untill its gone...

Old 09-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #9
DAND
Danger, Danger, Danger!
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
Living Art Reptiles
Unhappy True loss.

Wow,

What a loss, my condolences go out to his wife Terri and his two children Bindi Sue and Robert. This is a real loss. Steve Irwin was a true enthusiast for animal conservation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!