Iowa Couple Cited For Illegal Snakes - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
The BoidSmith
It's more than likely a "city ordinance". The letter probably states "constrictors", it doesn't matter if it's a sand boa or a rock python, in that case there's no probably no specification as to their size.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
It's more than likely a "city ordinance". The letter probably states "constrictors", it doesn't matter if it's a sand boa or a rock python, in that case there's no probably no specification as to their size.
I highlighted some stuff quoted from the article that are ridiculous. First they took away someones animals because they "aren't sure" if they are legal. Second they restricted all "boidae" because they are dangerous.

"The milk snakes were caught on a farm in Wisconsin... and were taken away because city officials aren't sure whether it's legal to possess them in Iowa. As for the sand boas...they city says any snake in the "boidae" family is dangerous... "

Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
The BoidSmith
Bill,

It's just a way of saying "we don't want you to keep snakes within the city limits". Some other states have regulations by adultr size or if they are dangerous because their are venomous, that seems to be more reasonable.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Bill,

It's just a way of saying "we don't want you to keep snakes within the city limits". Some other states have regulations by adultr size or if they are dangerous because their are venomous, that seems to be more reasonable.
I agree.

I just don't how they conficated snakes(milksnakes) that they "aren't sure" are allowed in Iowa. You would think they wouldn't have taken them until they knew for sure. Plus they took the Indigo stating it was a protected species and never bothered to verify if they had the proper paperwork to keep the animal(which they supposedly had). They are, at this point, the only city in Iowa I know of to have such a wide ban on boids. I guess the innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply anymore.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
kmurphy
The indigo is a protected snake, but Merfeld and Shaffer say they've already done the paperwork to legally own it.

This doesn't say they actually have a permit only that they've done the paperwork. My personall feeling is that you operate within the laws, restrictions, codes or whatever. If you don't like them move to where they are more favorable or get them changed.
Do I agree with the city officials- NO, do I agree with their restrictions - NO. But you have to play the hand you're dealt. If they didn't like they way the ordinance was written they should have worked to change it. If they didn't know about it - shame on them. If I was going to accumulate 350 snakes in my home I would make sure they weren't at risk of being taken away.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
Cat_72
Quote:
If they didn't like they way the ordinance was written they should have worked to change it.
Have you any idea how many people HAVE fought these crazy ordinances to no avail?? Once a city council in small-town USA sets their mind to something, there really isn't a damn thing you can do about it. If the ordinance is passed after you have the animals..they can still take them away or make you get rid of them. In many, many towns around here, Pit Bull (and other bans of the likes) have been enacted without 95% of the townspeople EVER knowing about it until it was too late.

Do you know they didn't work to change it?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
kmurphy
Hi Cathy, I live in Auburn, Maine. Population 22,000 and it is 4th largest city in the State. Maine's one of the most restrictive States there is. So I know about small towns and how hard it is to get things changed. We are, and probably always will be, working on it. In the mean time keep it legal or maintain an extremely low profile. IMO they didn't do either so we all have to pay for the bad publicity.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
Cat_72
When I say small town.....I mean SMALL town. The 2 towns I live closest to have populations of 2,060 and 258 respectively. Iowa itself has far more breed-specific dog laws than any other state in the country....and is not far behind in other "exotic animal" bans.

22,000 is a big ol city to me.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
kmurphy
Quote:
When I say small town.....I mean SMALL town. The 2 towns I live closest to have populations of 2,060 and 258 respectively. Iowa itself has far more breed-specific dog laws than any other state in the country....and is not far behind in other "exotic animal" bans.

22,000 is a big ol city to me
Okay, you got me there. Maine has plenty of one store/no store towns too. I would have thought blocking things like this would be easier if you knew everybody.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
Cat_72
I wish it was.....but it seems there's always those few folks that literally "own the town"..and pretty much what they say goes, unfortunately. And the fact that everybody knows everybody makes it a whole lot harder to keep things "low profile".....if you get a speeding ticket or have company overnight...the whole town knows it the next day......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!