Avey Incubator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
deborahbroadus
Avey Incubator

I spurged and purchased an Avey Incubator last year. It came packed perfectly and it was very nice,

well made and easy to set the temps with the knob on top that manipulated the digital settings.

The trays were nice and roomy

It gives perfect temps and is almost a "set it and forget it" product.

It managed to successfully hatch two of the "ugliest" eggs that almost everyone I knew had given up hope on...

The two drawbacks with this incubator are:

It has a tendency to "spike" and only unplugging it and leaving it over night or a few hours will reset the machine and allow it to be re-adjusted. I don't know if any one else has this problem, but it has done this twice so far. (it may cook incubating eggs if not caught in time.)

The water tray must be refilled quite often.

Suggestions: WATCH INCUBATING EGGS VERY CAREFULLY! It is NOT set it and forget it. In my opinion, a homemade incubator works just as well and is less expensive!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
hhmoore
Deb - what is the heat source? and what sort of controlling device is used to regulate the temps?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
deborahbroadus
It does not say, and difficult to know from looking at it. A review of the site also doesn't turn up that information. However, it does house a small fan at the top behind the lip of the platform used to hold a water container for humidity. The fan apparently circulates the heat and humidity.

The knob at the top of the unit increases or decreases the temps as you turn it right or left to reach your specific desired temps. The temp indicator is a digital readout.

One thing to be aware of if you decide to purchase this unit:

Incubators and brooders carry a 2 year parts and labor warranty. Shipping to and from our facility is still your responsibility but we warrant the rest. No questions - No hassle.

Warranty and Liability are limited to repairing or replacing the necessary components. Any risk or loss of eggs or babies is the buyer's responsibility. We cannot control how you use our products, or the viability of the eggs you place in our units.

Return Policy.

Returns will be accepted for 30 days after shipping date on unused equipment returned in the original packaging. You must call for return authorization or shipment will be refused. Shipping charges and arrangements are your responsibility. A restocking charge of 20% will be assessed. Packages must be insured. You need to call and notify us on the day you ship your return and be prepared to supply your tracking number

While some breeders have had good experiences with this product, I would SAVE THE BOX (I didn't) It's extremely difficult to rebox or find a box to fit the unit and it is VERY HEAVY (from a woman's point of view).

I am reminded of the Alife thermosats...some people have had sucky luck with them, and some swear by them.....soooooo

Overall, I give the product a B-

Old 11-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
deborahbroadus
Here is another opinion:

http://www.finegtps.com/breeding.html#Incubators

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
hhmoore
for anyone interested in more info on the Avey incubators:
http://www.aveyinc.com/reptile_pages.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!