Incubating Day Gecko Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Iggy189
Incubating Day Gecko Eggs

I bought a trio of day geckos three weeks ago. It was supposed to be one male and two females, but I believe I have 3 females. When I got them the females were gravid and on Saturday I found 6 eggs (reason why I believe I got 3 females). Any tips on incubating the eggs? I got them in perlite and currently at room temp. I searched online and my room is pretty much at the temps they suggest on the care sheets. I check the eggs daily and they all seem to be alright no mold or them denting in or anything. I have a hovabator, should I just keep them at room temp or would it better to put them in the incubator? Any tips, info, or suggestions would help.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Iggy189
Anyone, or are they not many people with day geckos?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
WJS Herps
Hi Ashley -

What kind of day geckos are they? Are they grandis?

If so, they are pretty near bomb proof in my opinion. When I had all of my grandis, I kept them outside and the females would hide eggs that I sometimes couldn't find. I was constantly getting the babies out before the adults could eat them!

You can use a hovabator if you want to, but it sounds like you've got them set up okay. They should be humid, but you don't need saturation. Again, I had a ton of them hatch in no substrate but high humidity (FL in the summer). The eggs I pulled I incubated at 82 in hovabator and I used slightly moist peat moss (and water in the bottom of the incubator), but had them hatch outside when the highs were in the upper 80s and low 90s and nighttime temps from the upper 60s to low 70s, so they are very forgiving. Females tend to pick pretty good spots that keep the eggs out of the elements (direct rain, sun, etc.)

If it's another species with smaller eggs, you may need to control things a bit more...

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Iggy189
Bill,

Thanks for the response. Yes, they are phelsuma grandis. If they can withstand Florida temps in the summer then there some hardy geckos. I'm also located in Florida in Miami, so I guess I should be ok. Now all I have to do is be patient enough til' they hatch.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
WJS Herps
Keep us posted on how they do. Grandis are really cool and hardy. I'd guess they must be like Madagascar's version of the anole...

Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Iggy189
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS Herps View Post
Keep us posted on how they do. Grandis are really cool and hardy. I'd guess they must be like Madagascar's version of the anole...
Alright, I will. Yea, that's a good way to put it. I found a egg in my yard and put it in perlite and in a small deli bowl and it hatched a while back. It ended up being a midnight anole there pretty cool, but everywhere in Miami.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!