PayPal users, Caution! Scam knocking at the door! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
PayPal users, Caution! Scam knocking at the door!

Hi all,

The following has been circulating and I was informed it's sent out by individuals not related to PayPal that want to obtain your bank account information:

Quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:39 AM
To: XXX
Subject: Update And Verify Your PayPal Account

Dear valued PayPal® member:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
Please update your records on or before Feb 28, 2005.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will not be
interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
PayPal® UPDATE TEAM

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal® will
periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...rivacy-outside
Regards.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
DAND
That's an old one. I got a e-mail like that more than a year ago. Send it to the pay-pal. They have a dept that handles these things.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
cthulhu77
Yeah, I've gotten that one a few times...forwarded it over to paypal right away !
greg

Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
Although it's old they are at it again, and I'm sure there are people out there unaware of it. Anyways, I was also told this illegal activity, also known as "phishing" should be immediately reported to: uce@ftc.gov

Regards.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Although it's old they are at it again, and I'm sure there are people out there unaware of it. Anyways, I was also told this illegal activity, also known as "phishing" should be immediately reported to: uce@ftc.gov

Regards.
I reported it when I received them (about 4 in a months time). I don't know if it was the reporting that curbed the continuation or e-mails, or the reply I sent to them telling them where to stick their request for my information.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
The BoidSmith
Well it seems today has been declared "national phishing day". I've got this one a few minutes ago.

Quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:32 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: eBay Account Suspended

Dear valued customer Need Help?

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended.
To resolve this problems please click here and re-enter your account information. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

Regards,Safeharbor Department eBay, Inc

Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
Wilomn
I get those all the time too. You can also forward them to your ISP. Most of the have a fraud@whoeveryourprovideris.

I just forward them when I get them. It seems to go in spurts. I got about a dozen within a week a month or so ago and none since then.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:50 AM   #8
Glenn Bartley
Be extremely careful of those emails for a reason none of you has yet mentioned (unless I missed it). The PayPal ad was sent to me recently, so I thought I would cut and paste it into an email to PayPal to show them what was going on. As soon as I clicked on the body of the email to copy it, my PC was infected by a virus. The virus basically redirects your connection to a scam site when you later try to log into PayPal. It takes the web address you type in, and replaces it with the scam address, and you wind up on a site that mimics the look of Paypal. If you then input any info it is theirs for the pillaging as is your money and identity. If you need to inform them do as others have mentioned and forward the whole email to paypal.

Note those PayPal scams almost always say Dear valued payPal Customer or something like that. PayApl always uses your name when they contact you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!