More bad media, public complains, news source indifferent - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
More bad media, public complains, news source indifferent

This article was printed as a verbatim text from the police department who made the drug bust. However, the news reporter felt compelled to run the picture with the article of some mythological snake eating a baby.
They received complaints from reptile keepers, and rightfully so, but they simply don't care how they protray snakes. Apparently child eating snakes is viewed as great attention getters in the news.

__________________________________________________ ______________

The following is the full text of a news release issued today by the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service:

On the 31st of March officers from Investigation Services executed a warrant at 655 Queen Street West and located a substantial quantity of marijuana in addition to a five-foot boa constrictor.

34-year-old Randolph Larrett of 655 Queen Street West has been charged with one count of possession for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug or substance.

The Humane Society has seized the snake.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=16596

Old 04-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
Here are some of the letters they received and their responses...

Snake owners from all over are baring their fangs at SooToday.com today over our verbatim publication of a City Police news release about the seizure of a five-foot boa constrictor yesterday.

Here's a sampling of the responses we're getting.

These are full, unedited texts of e-mails received by SooToday.com, with only the obscenities removed:

Regarding your article "Big snake removed from 655 Queen Street West".

This story seems to put a bad light on snake keepers by mentioning that the individual keeping the snake had "a substantial quantity of marijuana in addition to a five-foot boa constrictor".

I'm not sure how these two items are linked but a mention of why the boa was taken away may be helpful.

This article seems to assume that the two items, the snake and the drugs, were somehow related.

I do not appreciate this assumption as it makes all law abiding reptile keepers look bad.

There are many reptile keepers across this country and I have a feeling that you may be hearing from quite a few of them soon.

Thanks, Katie Rothert

(OUR RESPONSE: Hi Katie: This article is presented exactly as written by the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service. If you want to protest this effectively, I suggest you have people contact the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service directly.)

THX for your recent "sorry" (I mean story), making all us snake keepers & breeders look like baby killing drug pushers.

The fact that the man had a boa as a pet is trival & the picture of the snake eating the baby is even less relevant & highly offensive to any responsible Herper.

THX for keeping up the negative media portrayl of snakes & their keepers.

I guess it must have helped out your stories exposure & was really relevant in your opinion though?

Good stories don't need such BS IMHO. THX again as we really like to be known as "Baby Killing Drug Dealers" as represented by fine journalists such as yourself,

Sincerely Mark IsBell - GONE SNAKEE! Calgary, AB

(OUR RESPONSE: Thanks for this. We work so hard to alienate you guys and our efforts are only rarely acknowledged. Keep those cards and letters coming. - dh)

You *** hole. Why not come on the forum and explane your-self.

www.reptilescanada.com

Bill Langan

Hello, Mr Helwig. I just read your story about the drug bust at 655 Queen Street East

I am curious about one thing though.

Why, if the story is about drugs, do you feel it necessary to include the fact that the man owns a 5' boa?

What does that have to do with drugs? Why not include which cds he has in his music collection or what brand of peanut butter is in his cupboard?

Both facts bare the same importance on the actual story.

The reason I am inquiring is because I am a snake keeper and breeder and it is news articles like this one that unnecessarily give us "non drug dealing keepers" a bad name.

I would like to see an edit made to the article with an apology to all of the responsible snake keepers in this country.

But I doubt that will happen.

At the very least, could you change that ridiculous picture?

Maybe try making it a picture of a marijuana plant … or the right snake if you feel it necessary to vilify us.

Sincerely,
Tim Cranwill
Cranwill's Captive Bred Snakes
[Winnipeg, Manitoba]

(POSTED BY TIM CRANWILL AND GONESNAKEE! THIS AFTERNOON ON REPTILESCANADA.COM: This is pitiful! I say we inundate that reporter with email complaints! In fact, here is the reporter's info: News Department Dave Helwig, News Director
Cell: (705) 941-0664 Fax: 942-1017 E-mail: helwig@sootoday.com. Lets flood this *******s email as he deserves it!)

Dave Helwig,

Please remove the photo of the large diproportionate boa snake pictured eating a young child.

It is not humorous and it is not appropriate to the story.

Every little thing such as this is giving the wrong view on Reptile keeping as a hobby.

I know you probably don't understand quite how we as a community feel when we see reptiles used in a negativeway, or know how much it does actually impact.

Please feel free to contact Grant Crossman to publish an article on the April 2006 Reptile and Instect Expo.

Positive promotion will help save our innocent hobby.

Pleave visit www.reptileexpo.ca

Will Hayward.
Canadian Chameleons.ca

This story was fine to write, and I hope this boa gets placed in a proper home and not destroyed, but the picture that went along with it was completely inappropriate.

A strange ancient lizard devil snake eating the child?

Not an accurate portrayal of any snake, let alone a boa.

The reptile community is up in arms about how grotesque this is.

Please have this picture removed.

Have it taken down, and I can get you a beautiful picture of a real boa to post along with your news.

Thank you.

Jessy Blazejewski and Justin Osborne
[Blazing Reptiles Captive-Bred Pythons, Mississaugua, Ontario]

PS. If you have nothing to do with the posting of photos, please please forward to the person who does this.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=16613

Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
RosterImposter
What jerks, how about every story about a dog they add this picture to it (after dog attack- http://www.leerburg.com/Photos/soda1.jpg Warning, a little gorey). If they do that, then I wont mind about the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!