Gravid F. Paradalis (Panther Chameleon) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Whodunit13579
Gravid F. Paradalis (Panther Chameleon)

So today I had my first successful mating between my male and female panther chameleons! I am so excited! I have been reading blogs, books, info websites, etc. And I have seen sooooo many differing opinions that I am a little confused about a few things. That being said I have some questions for those who have successfully bred these awesome animals. I have seen some sources say if you actually see them copulate once you are good to go. Others say wait till she starts to show disinterest, then separate them, still other sources say to just leave them together for 3 days. What I did was put them together then when I saw she was receptive watched them copulate twice (I think), then I went way for half an hour then came back and saw her showing gravid colors (at least that's what I assume from gravid Internet photos), so i separated them. Should I put them back together, or should I be good? On a funny note when I removed the male he tried to copulate with my hand! Lol. Another question... I have seen timeframes mentioned for anywhere from 10 days to 2 months for the gestation period. What should I be expecting realistically? Wondering when I should put laying medium with her. That brings up anothern question. There are many many opinions for the laying medium, depth of the medium, how much water it should have, what is best? When the eggs are laid should I remove them? What do I put them in? What temperature? What humidity? Do I turn the eggs? I am sorry for the long post, but I have read a lot about this and there seems to be little consensus when it comes to slot of these aspects, and I would just like to hear what people who have actually been through this successfully have done. He is a blue bar about 14 months I think. She is a blue bar too I was told, although she shows alot of lime green, salmon pink, and orange, not a whole lot of blue, but some on occasion. She is 10 months old.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
figg2112
Should I put them back together, or should I be good?

If she is showing gravid colors you should be good. Gravid colors being black and pink

I have seen timeframes mentioned for anywhere from 10 days to 2 months for the gestation period. What should I be expecting realistically?

22-34 days

Wondering when I should put laying medium with her.

You can put it in now It will give her a chance to get use to it being in her cage.

That brings up anothern question. There are many many opinions for the laying medium, depth of the medium, how much water it should have, what is best?

For laying bin use a container, bucket or trash can that is at least 9 inches deep. Fill it with soil or sand or a soil sand mixture. I use topsoil found at walmart or home depot. Just be sure whatever you get does not have fertilizer or any chemicals in it. You want the soil to be moist but not soaking wet. You want to be able to dig a tunnel in the dirt without it collapsing. If the bin is in her cage for a few weeks be sure to keep it clean and remove any poo that might fall into the soil.

When the eggs are laid should I remove them?

When she is ready to lay she will go to the dirt and check it out.. She may dig several test holes before she actually digs the hole she will lay in.. If you see her digging DO NOT DISTURB HER. If she feels like you are watching her she may abandon her hole all together and that can lead to becoming eggbound.

YOu will know she is all done laying because her hole will be completely covered back up.. she will be skinny and probably very dirty. offer her food and water her really well.. She will be very tired after all that work.

Once she is done laying the eggs, her parental role is finished. YOu can remove the eggs.

What do I put them in? What temperature? What humidity? Do I turn the eggs?

Put the eggs in a tuperware or deli style container with some small holes punched in the lid.. You can use vermiculite or hatchrite for your egg medium. Incubation is about 72-80 degrees for 7 to 10 months (thats without doing diapause) Humidity is about 85% You may have to add water to your egg medium over the course of the incubation.

Do not turn the eggs. Actually after a certain stage of development, eggs can actually die from being turned. An air pocket forms and if the egg is turned the fetus can suffocate.

Here are some of my youtube videos on the subject

Laying Bin part one and two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfwTpO_biI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Spg9USTU8

And on Incubation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Rq-EzsBuY

Also this blog by Jim at the chameleon company is excellent reference

http://www.chameleoncompany.com/Breeding.html

Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Whodunit13579
Thanks! That is really helpful!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Whodunit13579
Do I need to have a plant or branch in the laying pot like in the video so she can get to it?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
figg2112
It wouldn't hurt to put a stick in the pot if you don't want to put an actual plant in it.. just something to make it easy for her to climb in and out

Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Whodunit13579
Gotcha. Thanks again! Also, maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but after copulation my male has been much more friendly, even coming over to me and purposefully touching me as if "something" put him in a better mood! lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!