SOLD!! CB Texas Horned lizard/ horny toads - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Other Lizards

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #21
James L
Why does this person have to give these away?? You are making it sound like anyone who purchases has no ability to care for them. If you comprehended the first post by the seller, you would have read that these came from Florida. They are not native here. There is absolutely no harm in removing species that don't belong. Also them coming from none native populations would make these perfect candidates for experimentation to learn how to understand and care for horned lizards better. Even though that has been figured out already.

Do you're homework before you act like a know it all....

Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #22
James L
In 1967 they probably didn't do well in captivity....
50 years later we have figured a lot out in the world of herpetology.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 AM   #23
Its_JoeyHello
horned lizards

would be interested! please let me know :-)

Old 09-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
Minkness
Just my 2 cents on these guys. Repashy actually makes an ant formula that holds the special acids and nutrition of the ants that these guys eat. Dust it on some crickets and they are perfectly nutritious.

So going off of outdated info fron 50 years ago about the ability of taking care of anything is silly. Everyone should research before getting any animal. Even super bullet proof animals can suffer in the hands of ignorant owners.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #25
RedDevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Just my 2 cents on these guys. Repashy actually makes an ant formula that holds the special acids and nutrition of the ants that these guys eat. Dust it on some crickets and they are perfectly nutritious.

So going off of outdated info fron 50 years ago about the ability of taking care of anything is silly. Everyone should research before getting any animal. Even super bullet proof animals can suffer in the hands of ignorant owners.
I've heard from multiple keepers that the Repashy supplement doesn't quite cut it, as far as eliminating ants from their diet goes. There's even some speculation that it might not be the formic acid that they require from the ants.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #26
st0386
Ok guys, I have a few ready to go. I lost a few of the second clutch, so I'm keeping the rest as holdbacks to see if they get better appetites. First clutch is killing food- gnats, newborn crickets, the occasional maggot. Full disclosure: I did see a couple worms in stool, so they were panacured! Safer for babies, but not 100%, so please keep that in mind. $50/each.
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #27
st0386
I have read the Repashy is actually toxic- even the bottle says experimental! Harvester ants are relatively cheap on Antsalive.com (if you're only feeding one or two). There is a professor here at NC state that studies insect diets, and that included horned lizards at one point. He said only the heads aren't digested, and suspected the fatty acids in the seeds had much to do with it, as other ant species don't work. The chitin in crickets can also be an issue for digestion with the extra chitin causing compaction if you feed anything larger than pinheads. They do love ground beetles though... so it's a curious thing. Long story short, you still need ants!

Thank you everyone for your input/help!
I think they're all spoken for at this point.. but I may have a few holdbacks available after awhile.
  Contact User Check User
Old 10-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #28
Tortmom1102
I would love to buy 3 from you, if you have any more. Please just let me know. Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread