Perlite or Vermiculite? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
Cliff_Hacker
Perlite or Vermiculite?

I have read a lot, and i mean a lot, of things about whether or not use use perlite and or vermiculite. Everyone seems to have alot of different answers. I'm just looking for any straight forward answers on which is better. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 03-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
SouthernIllinoisHerp
I use just vermiculite for my Bearded Dragons. Haven't had a problem with it.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Both will work, not sure I would say 1 is better than the other. I like and use vermiculite.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
LauraB
Both are basically interchangeable. Vermiculite, however, absorbs more water while retaining certain nutrients.

Perlite absorbs less water and is better for aeration and drainage.

For eggs, I use vermiculite & squeeze out the excess water. Perlite seems to dry out too quickly.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Mistyck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Both are basically interchangeable. Vermiculite, however, absorbs more water while retaining certain nutrients.

Perlite absorbs less water and is better for aeration and drainage.

For eggs, I use vermiculite & squeeze out the excess water. Perlite seems to dry out too quickly.

When I was dealing with eggs, I also used vermiculite. I tried perlite, but didn't like the way it was working for me.

But to each there own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
egg laying, incubation, substrate