What are your favorite "pet" monitors? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What monitor(s) do you keep? More than one OK
Ackie (red and/or yellow) 42 26.42%
Argus 15 9.43%
Black Headed 4 2.52%
Black Throat 27 16.98%
Freckled 5 3.14%
Kimberley Rock 6 3.77%
Mangrove 15 9.43%
Nile 16 10.06%
Ornate 2 1.26%
Peach Throat 6 3.77%
Roughneck 9 5.66%
Savannah 51 32.08%
Timor 12 7.55%
Water 20 12.58%
Other...Please specify in a post below 15 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Jim O
What are your favorite "pet" monitors?

I'm just curious about what monitor keepers keep. I keep ackies (red and yellow), timor monitors, and freckled monitors (V tristis orientalis).

Old 06-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Melle
I've just got one sav. He is great

Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Ophis
Gotta go with Black Tree Monitor (Varanus beccarii)

Old 08-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
DeVackHerps
im used to houseing savs but i love ackies. there a smaller speicies so there easier to house and take care of. and they are very calm if you tame and treat it right.(well the ones i held where very tame) not sure about the rest. but i would have to say ackies are the best.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:32 AM   #5
wsmitty
I just have my Nile. She's four years old this month. I raised her from a hatchling. I would like to try my hand with Freckels one day and maybe.......don't stop dreaming!....dare I say it.....a Lacie....and make it a Bell!

wayne

Old 08-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
DragonCharm
Going to go with either Blue or Green Tree.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
Snowballs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCharm
Going to go with either Blue or Green Tree.
stole the words outta my mouth

Old 09-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #8
coyote
Well, I had a Varanus salvator. Kali. She looked unlike any other water monitor I've ever seen. She was predominantly sunflower yellow with the rosette patterns in black/dark brown. Her belly and neck were pink and a very pale blue.

Kali had been advertised as a "free iguana" in a newpaper ad. My son's father went and got her. Very soon he realized that he was in over his head so he offered her to me.

Kali lived in my bathroom. I had a small dog crate with her heating pad in there. When she couldn't be supervised I just kept the bathroom door closed. Every day when she woke up she'd go into the bathtub. I'd turn the shower on for her. After she pooped I would fill the tub. Man she loved that tub of water. After her soak she would head out onto the sunporch to lounge on her branches and watch the neighborhood. Kids would come by and look at her and bring their friends and family.

Kali was not a biter. She tolerated being touched, even liked to have her neck scratched. I would brush her when she was shedding to help get the skin off. She loved it. She would splay out her legs and just lie there. She could be vicious with her tail though. Whacked me good one time on the temple. I thought I was going to pass out.

She would go after feet in white socks because she thought they were white mice. Caused some dancing around my house!

I took Kali into the schools for educational talks and because the kids could touch her. She was big and impressive. Sadly, Kali died last spring. And, quite frankly I have been so grief stricken that I haven't talked about her much with anyone. We miss her.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:38 AM   #9
Matt Haines
I have only ever owned 1 monitor which was a mangrove. I like those, ackies, and the argus monitors. However, I didn't like my mangrove's intelligence and ability to escape from it's cage, and from it's travel carrier into the dashboard of my car. It took a couple of days to catch him while he was sunning near the back windshield.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
SHvar
My monitors..

Young male flaviargus, around 4ft and about 1.5 years old.

My newest aquisition, was given to me a few weeks ago, male blackthroat, missing alot of tail, should be 4ft or more.

Very large male Storrs monitor, 16.5 inches,lol.

Red Ackie parents..

The kids, 13 days old, already grown 2 inches.

My fiancee attempting to hold Sobek, shes a big strong gentle sweetheart, now 6ft 3.5 inches long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!