Request: Separate Crested Geckos from "Geckos" Classifieds? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Inret
I don't know who's telling you it comes up lousy on a phone, but my droid razr handles fauna perfectly fine. PMs, images and all. A friend's iphone 4 works great too.

Leopard geckos have their own area. If you mixed leopard geckos back in with geckos, it would all be cresteds and leos with no chance at any sort of ad for anyone else. Leopard geckos also have sponsors, however-

If forums need sponsors, why does agamids have 0 sponsors? I'm sure we could get a couple of people to step up specifically for a crested gecko forum but when others don't have sponsors it seems like a hard sell, you know? Personally, I don't have a website so it would be pointless for me. But again, if you want to talk about slow forums, look at the agamids page. Not picking on the people who have agamids or want to sell them or anything like that, but their first page has ads dating back to January 22nd. Tegus don't have a sponsor either, and they date back to February 9th on their front page. Geckos goes back to March 6th on the front page. Comparatively, it seems overrun.

I'm not being sassy so please don't read it that way, I'm just confused as it seems the requirements that you're giving us now don't match two specific forums that have been around for a long, long time. Is it simply that their sponsors dropped after creation and once they're a forum, they're a forum forever? Or is it something different entirely?

I don't understand, but I'd very much like to.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
Inret
Oh, and there are 10 gecko ads that are not crested geckos on the front page of the Geckos section. I'd count the trade ad but it's balls for cresteds and I don't think it counts

Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inret View Post
I don't know who's telling you it comes up lousy on a phone, but my droid razr handles fauna perfectly fine. PMs, images and all. A friend's iphone 4 works great too.

Leopard geckos have their own area. If you mixed leopard geckos back in with geckos, it would all be cresteds and leos with no chance at any sort of ad for anyone else. Leopard geckos also have sponsors, however-

If forums need sponsors, why does agamids have 0 sponsors? I'm sure we could get a couple of people to step up specifically for a crested gecko forum but when others don't have sponsors it seems like a hard sell, you know? Personally, I don't have a website so it would be pointless for me. But again, if you want to talk about slow forums, look at the agamids page. Not picking on the people who have agamids or want to sell them or anything like that, but their first page has ads dating back to January 22nd. Tegus don't have a sponsor either, and they date back to February 9th on their front page. Geckos goes back to March 6th on the front page. Comparatively, it seems overrun.

I'm not being sassy so please don't read it that way, I'm just confused as it seems the requirements that you're giving us now don't match two specific forums that have been around for a long, long time. Is it simply that their sponsors dropped after creation and once they're a forum, they're a forum forever? Or is it something different entirely?

I don't understand, but I'd very much like to.
Well, honestly, I don't look at all the classified sections much. Since I'm not likely to be in the market for certain things, why should I? Back when I made the divisions, they were mostly just a best guess as to what would be logical and reasonable. Certainly if certain sections are not pulling their weight, they are subject to just going away and being rolled into a larger grouping. Wouldn't be the first time that I've done something like that here.

And yes, the ONLY reason the leopard gecko classifieds are not also rolled into the geckos section is because there ARE sponsors there. Otherwise that would have happened long ago.

But in any event, you need to give me a better reason to make changes here by adding a new classified forum than simply, "I want to see only what I want to see, and that other stuff I am not interested in is simply getting in my way."

I hate to have to say that this isn't good enough of a reason, but seriously, that appears to be the case. Not to mention that at this late date, even creating a separate classifieds section for cresteds, I suspect that quite a few people will continue posting such ads in the gecko section just out of habit. So that would give the mods even more to do moving ads around.

BTW, thanks for counting the ads for me. This pretty much shows that this isn't going to happen. If the daily ads were filling up two pages, then I might consider traffic as being high enough to have to split that gecko section somewhat. But as it is, even with the crested gecko ads there, traffic just is not heavy enough in that section to warrant creating a split of section for the cresteds. Seriously, I just don't think the ad volume in that gecko section is so great that it is any great burden on anyone to have to search through it to see if there is something of interest to them that has been posted in the past day or three.

So the "good reason" to make this sort of change, just is not there, in my opinion.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Inret
So what WOULD you say constitutes making a new category? If you could give us sort of a basic outline, if you don't mind?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
pei8147
Sooo many words.....

Let's make this super easy.

Rich, How many sponsors do YOU need to make the Crested Geckos a separate section for the classifieds?

Set an exact number for us.

Once enough members have pledged to sponsor, We can approach you again about separating out the section.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
WebSlave
Quote:
So what WOULD you say constitutes making a new category? If you could give us sort of a basic outline, if you don't mind?
Three sponsors (which does not include sponsors that would simply switch from the gecko section to the new crested section), or enough new ads are placed for crested geckos in the gecko section each day that two pages are needed to hold them. This is not any hard and fast rule that I am making policy here. This only applies to THIS instance at THIS time.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
MonitorKing
I have to say that I agree in making a separate classified area for Rhacodactylus and related geckos. I generally only browse the gecko section, and there are way too many Rhacodactylus ads. I only look for other geckos, such as Agamura, Stenodactylus, Chondrodactylus, and many other rarer species. The gecko classified area is clogged with crested gecko/Rhacodactylus ads.

Why do leopard geckos have a separate classified section, while Rhacodactylus do not? (Personally, I would recommend changing the leopard gecko section to Eublepharis and Hemitheconyx, but that is beside the point.)

Is it possible that there will be a separate Rhacodactylus classified section in the future? It would be a great help to those, like me, who wish to see only the "other geckos" and not have to waste time, sifting through the multitudes of crested gecko ads.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #28
MonitorKing
Sorry, I now see the reason why leopards have their own section. However, do crested geckos not have enough sponsors to make their own section? How many are needed?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
Inret
He said three, so a price of $150 to make the new forum. Crested geckos are no longer rhacs, either. They got reclassified.

Webslave, you said this is a one time occurance. Would it be possible to get a basic checklist of what is needed for a new forum? Say, a guideline for future reference? It would cut down on these sorts of threads because people could go along the list and check off every necessity before approaching you mods about it.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
WebSlave
Quote:
He said three, so a price of $150 to make the new forum. Crested geckos are no longer rhacs, either. They got reclassified.

Webslave, you said this is a one time occurance. Would it be possible to get a basic checklist of what is needed for a new forum? Say, a guideline for future reference? It would cut down on these sorts of threads because people could go along the list and check off every necessity before approaching you mods about it.
Each case would have to be considered separately, so I really can't make a general policy concerning the creation of new forums. A BIG influence will be if it is something I am personally interested in myself.

Besides, even if I did make a general policy, most people wouldn't read it anyway, if the past is any guide. For instance, I'm STILL getting people emailing me asking why they can't reply to classified ads.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!