Can someone please help me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
HMFindlay
Can someone please help me?

I bought a 4-month old baby iguana last week. It sometimes seems to be a lil aggressive n scared at the same time when i wanna pet n play with it. Does anyone know how to make it a lil tame? And how to make sure it wont run from my apartment (as my apartment has big open spaces and big trees on the ground) I'm so afraid if it gets stressed due to some reasons and dies and also it rarely eats and HOW am i gonna give it water? I never see an iguana drinking before. Am i a bad owner? Can you please reply to my email? HMFindlay@GMail.Com i found this site acciddently

Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
HMFindlay
Ah!

I forgot to ask : Is it compulsary to put a light bulb (a yellow coloured light bulb i think?) in its cage (I live in a tropical country I think: Malaysia)? And should I put it to direct sunlight and for how long? God this is MY FIRST TIME! I'm so not sure and I can't sleep well each night afraid of it dying of the chilly night! And wot kinda food should I give it and how often if i wanna feed it myself? And how are they served? Is it gonna die if exposed too long under the sun? Or is it gonna die if exposed to coldness? My ig (that's wot i see most people here call it as) is a lil aggressive and afraid at some time when i touch it and mostly when i take it out for a walk at my apartment (the ground n pavement) and im so afraid if it runs to the wilderness nearby. And my ig moves so fast when it gets aggressive. Is it normal or wot? I thought igs are gentle creature and move slow? My ig has some fungi on some parts of its body and im concern bout the one on upper eye and the calves. Wot should i do? Let it dry or put some water to peel the skin off? Should i let the skin peeling process done by its nature way or can i help it? Would it be painful for the ig to be pulled off its skin? Ive got so many Qs Please reply to HMFindlay@GMail.Com that would be better as im afraid of losing this gorgeous sites addy Thanks for helping!

Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Junkyard
You definitely should have done your research first. Alright lets take this one question at a time.
Quote:
Does anyone know how to make it a lil tame?
They take time to get used to you, right now your ig thinks you are King Kong wanting to stomp him to pieces. Take him out and hold him for 20 minutes at a time, and hold him until he settles down than put him back. Do this every day, in time it will calm down for you, putting him outside and expecting him to settle down is not fesible at this point. Keep him inside, he will have less space to run around.
Quote:
HOW am i gonna give it water?
Is the ig in a cage? It should be. I use a large bowl, like a plastic sweater box for my adult igs, for a young one like yours you can use a plastic shoe box. Most of the time you willnot see the ig frinking, but you will notice that they defecate in their water all the time. As long as he has fresh water he will know what to do with it.
Quote:
Is it compulsary to put a light bulb (a yellow coloured light bulb i think?) in its cage (I live in a tropical country I think: Malaysia)? And should I put it to direct sunlight and for how long?
Quote:
Is it gonna die if exposed too long under the sun?
Heating is extremely important to igs, use a UV bulb from any pet store. Igs spend a lot of time in the sun out in the wild. They are cold blooded and really need warmth to get their blood moving and metabolism moving strong. You can even put your ig in the sun all day long and bring it inside at night or when it is cold. Igs love direct sunlight, so no you will not kill your ig, they also love being misted with water, this is really important if you live in dry weather, mist them a few times a day.
Quote:
And wot kinda food should I give it and how often if i wanna feed it myself? And how are they served?
Quote:
PROPER NUTRITION:
Iguanas are herbivores or folivores, which means that they are plant eaters. They eat leafy greens, fruit, and fresh, uncooked vegetables that are grated and chopped to a size appropriate to the size and age of the iguana.
Watch the size of the food chunks you feed to your iguana. Think about the size of your pet's stomach and how much more food he can get in there if it's in small bits. Grated food is best but if you chop, chop into tiny, bite-sized pieces. Leafy greens can be torn into the appropriate size. And you can grow greens in your garden for your iguana. Growing Great Greens
And, speaking of leafy greens, IGUANAS DO NOT EAT LETTUCE. One of the worst myths left over from the fifties is that turtles and iguanas can survive eating iceberg lettuce. There is no nutritional value in such a pale, watery vegetable. Likewise, commercial iguana foods. Commercial diets for iguanas are not recommended.
Give your iguana protein in the form of vegetable protein like peas, green beans, alfalfa, and very occasionally, tofu or scrambled egg. No matter what you have been told, the experts agree that iguanas should not get their protein from dog or cat food. Do NOT feed your iguana dog food. It is the wrong kind of protein and can cause metabolic changes in your iguanas organs that will eventually be life-threatening.

Read our Q & A page for letters concerning feeding issues.

The most important thing, however, is to feed your iguana a VARIED diet using the following, well-rinsed foods:

Greens (40%-50% of the daily mixture):
Mustard Greens - Collard Greens - Dandelion Greens - Turnip Greens - Rapini - Mulberry Leaves - Grape Leaves - Hibiscus - Escarole (outer, dark green leaves only - do not feed pale, bleached leaves).

Vegetables (40%):
Green Beans - Peas - Turnip - Rutabaga - Parsnip - Butternut Squash - Acorn Squash - Sweet Potato - Zucchini - Carrot - Lima Beans - Cassava - Jicama - Chayote

Fruit and Flowers (10-20%):
Papaya - Pear - Strawberries - Raspberries - Mango - Grapes - Apricot - Peach - Cantaloupe - Casaba and Honeydew Melon - Kiwi - Figs - Nasturtium - Hibiscus - Rose Petals (no pesticides)

Occasional Foods and Treats (10%):
Kale - Parsley - Beets/Beet Greens - Banana - Apple - Rose Petals - Spinach - Pasta - Bok Choy - Broccoli - Cauliflower

Do not feed your iguana large quantities of broccoli flowerettes, corn, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, bananas, grapes, carrot, or tomatoes because they contain higher amounts of phosphorous, oxylates, phytates and other components that can hamper your iguana's healthy growth processes.

Tear, chop and grate food into very small pieces and mix together. Sprinkle a pinch of reptile vitamin and calcium on a small amount of chopped veggies and mix well. Put the supplemented food on top to ensure your pet eats the vitamins. Do not over-supplement (twice a week for young iguanas - hatchlings to 2 years old, once a week for juveniles and adults - 2+ years and older).
Feed your iguana a balanced, varied diet EVERY day, not every other day as some books suggest. And try to avoid feeding defrosted, frozen vegetables as much as possible. Frozen, pre-packaged vegetables lose much of their vitamin content in the freezing/storage process. Feed only frozen (defrosted, room-temperature) peas and lima beans as a protein source but all other vegetables should be purchased fresh from the market or grown in the garden. Prepared iguana food and frozen vegetable mixes do not contain the necessary nutrients for a healthy iguana diet.
Remember to wash all edibles thoroughly and never feed any plant material that has been previously sprayed with insecticide. Always offer your iguana fresh water to drink.
this is from: http://www.iguana-news.com/folivore.html
Quote:
Is it normal or wot? I thought igs are gentle creature and move slow?
This is a good lesson, they are fast!! This is nothing new, and they can be agressive. I take in igs on ocassion and they are usually given to me because they are agressive, BUT thay can also be the most gentle of creatures with a lot of work and handling. Remember three things when dealing with iguanas 1)Patience, 2) PATIENCE, and 3) PATIENCE
Quote:
My ig has some fungi on some parts of its body and im concern bout the one on upper eye and the calves. Wot should i do? Let it dry or put some water to peel the skin off? Should i let the skin peeling process done by its nature way or can i help it? Would it be painful for the ig to be pulled off its skin?
This is when it is time to visit a vet, are you sure it is a fungus? Pictures help more than a description here. A vet will know what to do. Though it sounds like a skin disease that I have seen on many igs, sunlight(in time) will really make a difference in the healing process. I am not a vet, but it does not sound good. Take the advice of the vet, they may even give you a topical antibiotic to be used on the affected are.

Unless the shed(peeling skin) is not coming off easily you can soak the ig in water for about 20 minutes and then peel the shed off, make sure you soak the area you are going to remove, water will soften the skin and make it easier. It is not painful for the ig, but if the skin is dry it is very irritating to them if you remove it. It is like removing tape from your skin.

I need to go, hopefully this is helpful and others can pitch in here. Good luck and I will check in later today. You can contact me at my e-mail if necessary Yikum@excite.com but I think this is important info for all to read which is why I posted here.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
hhmoore
Michael offered some pretty good advice - but I must disagree with, or at least add to, one piece of it
Quote:
You can even put your ig in the sun all day long and bring it inside at night or when it is cold. Igs love direct sunlight, so no you will not kill your ig
It is true that igs love the sun, and require the UVB radiation that they get from it...but if you are planning on leaving outside in the sun, (in a secure, well ventilated cage, of course) you must ensure that it also has some sort of shelter.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM   #5
HMFindlay
Thanks but...

Its great to read replies!
Another few Qs...

Is it normal to see the ig trying to get outta the cage? Is it cuz of it tries to reach the sunlight outside of my apartment or cuz it really wanna get outta it?
Yesterday i installed a small light bulb (240v 15watt) to the cage and i turned on the light the whole night cuz im afraid if it dies cuz of the lackness of heat and i turn it on when i place the cage inside my lounge duriong daytime as theres no direct sunlight penetrating my lounge. Is it a right thing to do? Is it a good idea to turn on the light when its nightime especially when its sleeping?

I notice my ig rarely eats and this worries me! Is there something wrong? Should i feed it with my finger or leave the food? I'm afraid if it either refuses to eat (and especially drink) or just can't 'wisely' think bout the presence of water and greens.
How often does ig really eat and drink or fed?

Wot bout sleeping hours? Do they sleep alot?

Does it have a sensitive hearing? I always turn the radio and sometimes tv loud and sing loudly. Will the ig get traumatised by the loud sound?

Well i will ask other Qs if i have one hehehe

Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFindlay
I notice my ig rarely eats and this worries me! Is there something wrong? Should i feed it with my finger or leave the food? I'm afraid if it either refuses to eat (and especially drink) or just can't 'wisely' think bout the presence of water and greens.
At 4 months, an iguana should eat every day. If it is eating poorly, it is definitely cause for concern. What is the temperature inside its cage? The daytime temperatures should be mid80s-mid90s. as for hand feeding vs leaving the food...that is a matter of personal preference (yours and the iguanas)
Quote:
Wot bout sleeping hours? Do they sleep alot?
Iguanas are diurnal (awake during the day). with the exception of a few naps, they should be awake for 10-14 hrs...depending on the season.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
Junkyard
Some of what I will post has already been stated by Harold, so please bear with me.
Quote:
Is it normal to see the ig trying to get outta the cage? Is it cuz of it tries to reach the sunlight outside of my apartment or cuz it really wanna get outta it?
Igs love to be out of their cage. At the iguanas I have ever seen love to be active, they love to climb. If you see your running around the cage all day it is because it is bored and wants to do something. Also they are great at finding their way to the sunlight. Everytime mine get out that is the first place she will go.
Quote:
Yesterday i installed a small light bulb (240v 15watt) to the cage and i turned on the light the whole night cuz im afraid if it dies cuz of the lackness of heat and i turn it on when i place the cage inside my lounge duriong daytime as theres no direct sunlight penetrating my lounge. Is it a right thing to do? Is it a good idea to turn on the light when its nightime especially when its sleeping?
You are doing things right, igs need warmth. Make sure the opposite side of the cage is cooler. This way when it gets to warm it can simply walk over to the other side. Also if it is too cold it can warm up on one side of the cage. I suggest a UV bulb from a pet store, this will provide for the ig UVB rays that standard bulbs cannot produce. Also you can get a UVB nightlight bulb at a petsore, they produce a red or bluish purple light at night that will not keep you or the ig up all night because the sun is right on them. Or you can get a ceramic heat emitter that will produce heat, but no light, this way you will not be bothered at all by light.

You will want a warm area that is about 85 to 95 degrees F and a cool spot that is 75-85 degrees F. Taken from this website:
http://www.geocities.com/thearkfiles...eet_page1.html

Quote:
This worries me, if you are unsure than you need to see a reptile vet ASAP. Also it may depend on how much you are feeding and what time you are feeding. If you are feeding a lot than you may not notice how much the ig is eating. Iguanas are known for eating mostly in the early afternoon. I have had three iguanas that did not like it when I was around during their feeding. I could have sworn they were not eating, but in reality they did not like me hanging around and watching.

What is your Schedule?
Quote:
Does it have a sensitive hearing? I always turn the radio and sometimes tv loud and sing loudly. Will the ig get traumatised by the loud sound?
Iguanas have good hearing. Loud noises may bother them, yet some may not care at all. I do not think a loud noise constant is as bad sudden loud noise. All in all I am sure your ig would be better off in a not so loud environment and appreciate some quiet time just as people do. Being as it is new into your home loud noise will cause stress.

I do have a couple questions for you.

How big is the cage?
Is there a lot of places for the iguana to hide?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
hhmoore
Sorry, I forgot to address this one:
Quote:
whether or not your iguana will be traumatized will be dependent on how well, or how poorly, you sing

Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #9
HMFindlay
Well...

The cage? I think its pretty small. I don't measure it but its like the size of standard normal 4 CPUs put side by side.

AND PLEASE THIS IS THE LATEST STUFF :
My ig defecated few minutes ago, when I looked at the feaces (its watery, theres a white substance and also green substance seperately : is that normal feaces feature?) I was so shock and getting worried when I saw some 3 to 4 short 0.5cm white-jelly like worm/parasite (im not sure how to describe and classify that creature but it looks like short macaroni) and THEY WERE ALIVE when i saw it. What is that?! Is that dangerous/fatal to my ig? Where did they come from? Is it from the food that i gave? I give it this green leaf called white flowering cabbage or called as false/mock pakchoi in the US. Its recommended by the shop i bought my ig.

BTW, how often does an ig eat or need to be fed? every hour?

Old 12-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
Junkyard
Igs can be fed once a day to twice a day. The worms you are seeing are parasites. GET YOUR IG TO A VET ASAP!!! The reason your ig is not eating properly is do to these parasites. This is not good!

After your vet treats your ig start using NutriBac. This will help keep your ig's good micro flora. Also it helps stimulate your ig's appetite. But use it after you see your vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!