Cribos going berserk.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
herbivorous
Cribos going berserk....

Just out of curiosity, has anybody here ever had an trouble with cribos (or indigos) going nuts for no apparent reason? I have 1.1 blacktailed cribos (1 LTC and 1 CBB) that I've had for a year and 2 years respectively that have been tame and docile the entire time that I've owned them. For the last week or so, they have taken a pronounced turn for the aggressive. Both have repeatedly struck at me when they have never done so before, and the female flees whenever I enter the room. The male was recently moved to a larger enclosure, so its understandable that he could be feeling insecure, but the female's environment hasn't changed at all. Same thermal gradient, same hides, water dish, etc. Anybody have any ideas what could have caused this abrupt change? Atmospheric pressure? Just the fact that its winter? If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. By the way, I have 1.1 Easterns and 1.1 Texans in the same room as the blacktails, and they're as calm as ever. Thanks.
Robert

Old 12-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
epidemic
Drymarchon harbor incredible circadian clocks and some specimens often become quite defensive and territorial during the mating season. Since you have only had the D. m melanurus for a relatively short period, you are probably experiencing such seasonal changes in your animals for the first time, as such behavior often comes with age and adjustment to a new environment and you can probably expect such behavior to occur during the same time of year in the future.
Anyhow, as for the exact cause, could be any of the reasons you have already indicated, especially the enclosure change of the male. Also, your female could be ovulating, which can make her quite nervous and the male anxious, both of which may cause the behavior you are experiencing. Some of my D. corais begin acting much like your D. m melanurus during the early breeding season. I simply darken and cover their enclosures, increase the humidity and leave them alone for a couple of weeks. Simply give them space and some, handle only when necessary and they should calm down shortly…

Best regards,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!