Bad Guy RodentPro- Zoonotic disease warning - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #61
laurarfl
Suppliers can't help having issues now and again, that is understandable.

My concerns are a bit bigger than ordering from Rodent Pro again. Can the virus be shed in the feces of reptiles fed contaminated animals? What about cross contamination to our pair of pet rats? sigh....research time. I'm not sure if my local health dept will be much help, but I'll try there, too.

Thanks for all and any updates.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #62
Lucille
And enveloped viruses can survive for a long time, frozen:http://www.biocision.com/uploads/doc...n_Protocol.pdf

The CDC had my email address and provided no information either on the telephone or by email. We have talked in other forums here on this site about information manipulation. Nuff said.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #63
bwaffa
I'm sure the OP is trying to do his due diligence as a good citizen (it sounds like he's got reasonable beef with RodentPro too), but I think the "outbreak" announcement is premature. LCMV is very common in rodent populations, and seroprevalence studies have demonstrated low levels of exposure in human populations as well in cohorts of people who never even showed symptoms. That RodentPro and every other mouse breeder in the country has seen LCMV come through their facilities - and that many of us are regularly exposed - should not be surprising at all. A symptomatic case in humans WOULD be very unusual and is probably the only reason the CDC was investigating (an investigation of this nature would be very standard protocol). I would be reluctant to get too excited about this pending a more official announcement. Especially since it only gives the media more senseless anti-herpetoculture fodder.

Brad

Bradley J. Waffa, MSPH
DVM Candidate
Merial, Ltd. Student Representative
NAVC OnCampus Representative
NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine
Raleigh, NC 27606

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #64
reticguy76
It seems everybody should just take a deep breath and a step back, and let the op give us pure 100% credibility and substantiated proof as to this information. Also, dont get me wrong, I think this is a great thread and should be brought public, but it should have been done as an info thread for now, then when proof is available, then start a bad guy thread.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #65
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
Until there is pure 100% undeniable and credible proof, there is no reason for anybody to freak out. For now, this is all hearsay, and unsubstantiated claims.
It is in fact not hearsay that there has been an infection process, Erik's article was good info thank you Erik.
http://www.farmworldonline.com/news/...p?newsid=14991

No one asks for 100%. Even in criminal cases, the standard is 'beyond a reasonable doubt' and in civil cases it is only 'more likely than not'.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #66
reticguy76
Maybe thats why I wouldnt make a good lawyer. Its all or nothing with me. Until I see proof enough for my eyes and brain, Rodentpro is still good for me. Will I change as more stuff and info develops, very well could. As for now, im not 100% convinced

Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #67
jumpsnake
I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to wonder about this. I can not tell you why the CDC needed our records to figure out if we got a diseased shipment or not- I wonder this myself. In fact it makes me more concerned because I wonder why they needed my records- was rp being uncooperative? I can not tell you that. I can only tell you that two people from the health department showed up today. They had name badges and business cards- I have no reason to think they are not who they said they were. I am not going to post someone else's name on here without their permission- they are local government employees and did not ask for a bunch of herpers to be calling them. However, while it is true rp is a long term well established business- so are we. You will notice I do not have many posts on here- I do not make a habit of calling people out or fighting on the Internet. There is not a reason for panic- this is NOT a deadly disease. But it is serious and I felt a moral responsibility to notify the community. Do with that what you will.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaffa View Post
I would be reluctant to get too excited about this pending a more official announcement.
After reading the article Erik brought to us, I personally do not feel that I have to wait until I've been given permission to think by any official.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #69
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr250guy View Post
Well I made an order last week, just found out about this about 20 minutes ago...my shipment was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I have spent the last 20 minutes on the phone with fedex getting the shipment stopped and returned to rodent pro. I refuse to put myself, I work in a large veterinary hospital with a lot of immune suppressed animals...this could have had a terrible outcome.

I remember thinking to myself, wow they really got that order out a lot faster than the last time....I wonder why!

Jason Wright
Just thought you should know rp ships the Monday after you order. So ordering last week and receiving your rodents tomorrow ( Wednesday) is normal.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #70
reticguy76
You know how many people went to jail 30 years ago for "beyond a reasonable" doubt then were later released and found innocent because of 100% dna over the last 10 years or a little more ?? Right there, is why I demand 100% or as close to, as determined by my thoughts and gut, when accusations and some "proof" is brought forth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!