Dragon sick, got some questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
techgirl
Question Dragon sick, got some questions

I noticed that Stoner has lost some weight and not eating as much for about 1 week now. I did see tapes in his stool 3 weeks ago and did a deworming on him and the female(they are not housed together, I just like to keep them on a schedule together). So I brought him to the vet today and brought a stool sample in for them to send out. All in all, they say he's in good condition and most likely a heavy parasite load causing all this. He weighs 345 gms. He used to weigh 380 gm. He's a year old now. They want me to syringe feed him meat based baby food and give Panacur along with Drontal for cats to deworm him. I'm also going to do it with MJ just to be safe. My question is should I soak him more often then 2 times a week while I do this? Should I mix some pedialyte in with the baby food so I make sure he's hydrated. I need to call them back with a weight check in two weeks time. I just don't want him to get any sicker or lose any more weight. Thanks for reading and any info.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Junkyard
My first question would be, is he dehydrated? If he is, then more soaking and pedialyte would help, if he is not dehydrated then keep him on the same schedule as you normally have him on. What is his regular diet?

Old 09-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
techgirl
The vet said his hydration is good. Normal diet is collards, endive, mustard greens with calcium on it. bugs are supers and roaches offered 2-3 times a week, dusted of course. This week he hasn't touched anything at all. Any more questions that I forgot to answer? Sorry I have to type this with a 2 year old climbing all over me, so I get a little distracted. I'll be back later to answer more questions and check on everything after I get her settled.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Junkyard
If his hydration is good then stick with the normal program, no need to add more stress to his recovery. I noticed that giant mealworms put a lot of size and weight on my dragons really quick, they may help when your boy starts eating again, do you feed him crickets at all?

If he does not start eating then you will probably have to use a syringe, I have no experience with nonfeeding dragons, so I cannot give you advice in that area. What temps are you keeping Stoner at?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
techgirl
No I don't feed him crickets because I despise the buggers. His basking temps are 114, floor temp on hot side is 93, and cool side is 77. I use newspaper as a substrate, always have him. They were concerned about the possibility of impaction, but when they heard I only use paper they said that lowers their suspicion of that being a cause of him not eating. If there is no improvement with the deworming and the syringe feeding, the next step I assume would be bloodwork and x-rays. I hope in two weeks I'll be saying he's better and putting the weight back on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!