Melissa - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
Melle
Hi Stardust
Nice to see another fellow michigander! I LOVE Traverse city. before i moved away from home we used to go camping up there every year- such a beautiful city.

And i would much rather have a car that looked like crap from the salt than sliding all over the roads and going 5 miles an hour through 5 inches of snow on the road

Old 06-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
kenster
Sorry for the long delay, been one of those weeks...

I am in Clio, just north of Flint. Oh I remember those trips to MSU every weekend..I used to date a freshman there and of course she had no car. And of course me being a huge UofM fan it always pained me to see that place Although I will say they do know how to party there

Old 06-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #13
Ken Harbart
A bekated welcome...

It really is a small world. I was born and raised in St Clair Shores, but left MI when I enlisted in 1996. In 2000, I moved back, and settled in Sterling Heights (17 1/2 & Van Dyke area). All in all, it wasn't that bad of a place to be, and I sometimes miss it.

There's a few things that I don't miss about MI, however...

1) The roads are always under construction, but never seem to get any better. I never really bothered clearing snow off my car... the potholes knocked it off for me.

2) Bitter cold and snow. There's something seriously wrong when you need to have your furnace running in June. Likewise, heavy snowfalls in April are a bit of a turn off. Frostbite & hypothermia are two things I'd prefer not to experience again.

3) Did I mention snow? Spinning out on Hall Road is another one of those things that I care not to experience again. Also, sliding sideways down the road doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, either.

4) Insanely aggressive drivers. I used to think Florida drivers were bad until I moved down here and noted that it was Michiganders and other snowbirds causing most of the accidents.

5) Boulevard turnarounds at major intersections (Sterling Heights is real good for this one). Just give me a left turn lane and make life less complicated. Going through an intersection, driving a short distance, making a u-turn, and then going back to the intersection just to make your turn is a bit much.

6) State income tax and high fees for many things. In MI, I was paying $93 a year just for my plates. I've been told the fees have risen dramatically since I left.

I still go back there to visit every now and again. I was just up there for Father's Day and couldn't believe how much some things have changed in the past year.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:01 AM   #14
Stardust
WOW, I don't have that problem in the TC area, EXCEPT the snow, but hey, I love the four season, just wish winter can be shortened and summer can be longer.
Going to the cherry fest?

Old 06-30-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
beakgeek
Quote:
Is that why all those guys live in MI???? ;-)

We have a pin cherry tree here in MN that makes awesome pin cherry jelly. This year we are going to attempt some pin cherry wine!

Regards,

Terry

Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 AM   #16
kenster
Quote:
Originally posted by Stardust
WOW, I don't have that problem in the TC area, EXCEPT the snow, but hey, I love the four season, just wish winter can be shortened and summer can be longer.
You guys get snow up ther Ro? All that good ice fishing...

Back to longer summer...when is that going to get here almost July and still not summer...go figure, that's why we love MI

Old 06-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #17
Stardust
I know Ken, what is up with that? Some really nice days in JUNE and that is all we get. What a tease MI is.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #18
kenster
No kidding, but watch come Sept. and everyone will still be in shorts. Oh well who needs a summer anyway?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:44 PM   #19
Melle
Ken Harbert- Thats where I lived in sterling heights to, the 17 and van dyke area, lol. well, 17 and dodge park actually (in between van dyke and shoennerr.) My parent still live there. I vist quite a bit. What a small world I HATE hall road. havent spun out on it, but i have on shoenerr once, on my way to hall road, haha.

There seems to be a lot of us on here from MI!

Old 07-04-2004, 01:33 AM   #20
tropheusfreak
Come give MN a visit It's nice here.

David

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!