Emergency help needed - leopard gecko - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
secret_shad0w
Unhappy Emergency help needed - leopard gecko

My leopard gecko is five months old. She has never had what I have been told are normal eating habits, but she remained healthy. Until a few weeks ago. She has been refusing to eat crickets, and up until tonight she would still eat mealworms. However, tonight she refused to eat at all. She is deathly skinny - you can see her pelvic bones in the back near her tail (which is as skinny as that of a mouse.) She is also extremely lethargic. She will not move unless prodded, and she will barely open her eyes even when moving. The only positive sign is that she is still drinking water... but only when I goaded her into moving over by her water dish. Unless I remove her hiding place she will not come out. My father refuses to allow me to take her to the vet, as he doesn't think she is worth the 50 or more dollars. I'm so worried, I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong and how to get her to eat? Is there any way to put nutritional supplements in her water? I'm afraid to go to sleep as I'm terrified that she will die while I'm sleeping.

Please, help me.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
secret_shad0w
Please someone help me.... please. I'm so scared.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Need more info...

What is the basking temp in the cage? What substrate are you using? What are you feeding it? Have you posted onto a Leopard Gecko forum with this?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
secret_shad0w
I took her to the vet this afternoon. I was told I was doing everything right and she probably had parasites, so they gave her some deworming meds and gave me antibiotics and told me to give her Gatorade. I took her home and gave her the Gatorade. About 5 minutes later she was spazzing out and running around, and then she just collapsed and died. I think it was just too stressful and she was already so weak....

Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Tim Cole
Too bad...

Sound like it had issues from the start. Did you contact the person you got it from? If there is a next time, go with a reputable private breeder or Expo and not a Pet Store. I can recommend several.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
secret_shad0w
Ok so she was "dead" for about 30 minutes before we decided to bury her. She had defecated and everything, wasnt responding, eyes open, no noticable breathing, etc. So my mom went out to bury her (I couldn't) and she started moving! So we rushed her inside to warm her up and called the vet. He said to try to feed her Gatorade or sugar-water every few hours for the next couple of days until she gains her strength back. She was really moving around, but her legs weren't moving properly. However it looks as though she is officially dead now. She hasn't moved in the past 10 minutes and her legs are all at odd angles and shes kinda leaning on one side. I think its over.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!