What is the easiest snake to breed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
NorthwestSnakes
What is the easiest snake to breed?

I have heard that Corn snakes are the easiest snakes to breed, However, in that past, I have had almost no success with only one baby snake surviving out of three large clutches. I would love to hear what you all think is the easiest snake to breed is! Thank you all~Brooke

Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Lucille
Brooke, what exactly happened to the clutches?
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=664472

Old 08-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
NorthwestSnakes
the first clutch came completely shriveled up (more than they should ever be) and a shade of brown, I had seen her laying the eggs so I know I didn't leave them out for too long, I immediately got rid of that female, and tried a new pair. The next batch of eggs only three of the eggs where healthy so I took them and incubated them properly but they slowly began to look like the others until they eventually died. for the third clutch, I used the male from the first clutch and a new female that was never proven, she laid 12 eggs and they where all looking great until a month in where they too started dying off one by one, however, 3 of the babies hatched with one being much larger than the other 2, the first small baby died only a few hours after hatching and the second baby died after a day. The only one that great up big and strong was the large baby. I always made sure that the temperature in the cages and the incubator where at optimal temperatures, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Lucille
Brooke, I have a suggestion. Take advantage of the experience and skills of those who have bred snakes for a long time. I personally think that corn snakes are a great choice.
There is a site called Cornsnakes.com, and it is chock full of smart, funny, helpful corn snake people and a bunch of them breed corn snakes. They are nice and easy to get along with. As long as you do your part, which is to really care for your critters, and to respect the time and knowledge given to you over there, you are going to get all the info you want and need.
(And it is run by the same guy who runs this site).

Old 08-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
NorthwestSnakes
Thank you, for your advice. I will be sure to go check them out!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
elena
I personally find it easier to breed live-bearing snakes, since you don't have to worry about messing up the incubation. As long as Mom has the right temps, the babies will be fine. Rosy Boas are a great choice because they are very easy to care for, stay small, and have small litter sizes, which make it easier to raise the babies without getting overwhelmed.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
NWfancyscales
@NorthwestSnakes I know this is a year old post, but have you been successful since this post? And assuming northwest means the pacific northwest- where are you located? I'm always willing to mentor. I breed corn snakes and garter snakes in captivity in western Washington state.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Granting that it is an older post, two aspects stand out to me. The first is that females were swapped in and out without giving them further time to establish a series of reproductive efforts per female. Successive efforts without withdrawing females alone may have solved or improved things. The other is that there is a formulaic aspect as well as a personal skill aspect to incubation aside from the variability of the status/condition of the eggs one is incubating. While I do not work with Colubrid breeding, I have bred and do breed a lot of things. Giving females time to "season" or find a rhythm can be important. Learning the nuances of individual females can be important. Getting a base formula (or method or recipe) that is generally successful is important. Then getting an intuitive feel for things can further squeeze out positive increments of productivity that a rote formula alone does not quite achieve. This last part has made an especially meaningful and rewarding impact on my experiences and results as a reptile breeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!