Bad Guy Beware Evan Stahl from Stahl Reptiles! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
ophidile
As I recall, paypal payments have a "refund" option that expires after 60 days. If the seller hits the "refund" option, monies are returned without fees deducted.

I don't know how this works with disputed payments, does the "refund" option disappear then? That seems strange, considering "refund" would be one of two resolutions to any dispute.

I don't know if the refund window has expired already, but if not, I imagine it will soon - Evan, will you absorb the fees if it expires because you were waiting to resell the animals?

Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #42
SpitZu
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansnakes View Post
you have to cover 100% of the funds to refund at the same time, you can not do partial refunds.
I ran several partial refunds recently. It gives you the option to type in the dollar amount after navigating to the refund screen. Transaction Details -> Issue a Refund -> Refund amount.

Quote:
as paypal warned me, the monies would be taken from them and they would then come and take them from me.
I don't understand why would Paypal come after you for money that you refunded through their system? That doesn't make any sense. If she does a chargeback on a deposit that was refunded then they should be sending her to collections. Even if you keep the forfeited deposit due to your ToS.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
ophidile
Forgot this; given that the first $100 was a deposit to hold the animal, I don't know what Evan's TOS is regarding the deposit but he would not be out of line keeping it, given that it sounds like the delay in shipping was reasonable, and the buyer canceled the deal because they just decided they wanted something faster.
Holding the deposit is reasonable; holding all the money is not.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
pparrish
Wow, my opinion....lots of padding in the thread. Bottom line - Breeders/Dealers have an obligation to satisify buyers (CUSTOMERS) in any way reasonably possibly. Satisified people direct more customers to you. If not for HAPPY customers we would have no business.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
scaledverts
Ok Evan,

I was totally with you on your side all through the weather related issues. I totally agree (as most would here) that waiting to ship until the temperatures are within your preferred shipping temperatures during THE ENTIRE TRIP is totally acceptable.

HOWEVER, these posts are just not what someone would do in terms of trying to have good customer service. I do not know you personally and have never bought from you previously, but people always seem to forget that no matter how many good/great transactions or positive trader ratings you have, it is the troublesome transactions that people remember and will haunt you for years to come.

Quote:
you will get it the same way you paid via paypal, you will get it as soon as I get paid in full from the new buyer, I have already explained that to you.
The fact that you relisted these snakes means that the person should be refunded her money. If you want to take out the deposit, sure that's understandable. But to hold the ENTIRE sum of money hostage until you are able to sell the animals is not the right thing to do here.

Quote:
none of this was my idea or doing, if she had just waited a couple days she would have had her snakes. she asked for a refund and for me to resell the snakes, I then found out that the monies were pulled from my account. why would I then refund her? so then I went to resell the animals and told her I would refund once they were paid for. paypal ruled in my favor, I really did not want them or expect them to. So then I got paid again, after weeks of it being withheld. She will get refunded shortly when all is done with the resale to my satisfaction. This was not my doing in any way. I have waited months to get animals that I have paid for like most people who care about the animals have. She wanted me to ship repeatedly when it was unsafe to do so. I told her where I lived and told her to look at the weather forcast. I was not and am not creating the weather. This will all be over in a few days. Oh and she also left out that she threatened to sue me.
This part (in red) is particularly troubling to me personally. Yes, I understand that you do not refund moneys for buyers remorse. But it seems like you could just save yourself quite a bit of headache by just refunding the money. I also don't completely agree with the sentiment that your satisfaction is what's important here.

Quote:
It is simple. When she asked for a refund I did not have her money she had filed a dispute with paypal and they had her money, not me. AND I do not offer refunds for buyers remorse. Her deposit was also non refundable but I have not even brought up that point. I need to now get paid for the snake that had not been paid for because you have to cover 100% of the funds to refund at the same time, you can not do partial refunds.

Every day I have expenses that are debited from my account, wether they be automated utility payments or putting gas in the car, simple, so there is less than enough in my account to refund 100% of her payments and you can not do less than 100% unless I wanted to refund the initial $100 deposit, which should be forfeit. As I have said now several times to her and in this very thread, she will be refunded in a few days when the payment is cleared and the total amount is covered to refund. If that is not adequate, she can sue me as she threatened or take it up with her credit card company, which she probably already did and as paypal warned me, the monies would be taken from them and they would then come and take them from me.
This part is also somewhat odd to me. This is why you don't use the money you get paid until the transaction is complete to avoid situations just like this. Also, it would seem that if your paypal account is linked to your bank account that the available funds in your paypal balance has no bearing on your ability to refund her money.

Like I said, I was totally with you in the beginning, but now the tides are shifting. Not toward her per se because she is not in the right here totally either, but certainly more toward the middle where you both are wrong in different areas. Why not just refund the money and be done with this whole thing?

Kyle

Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitZu View Post
I don't understand why would Paypal come after you for money that you refunded through their system? That doesn't make any sense. If she does a chargeback on a deposit that was refunded then they should be sending her to collections. Even if you keep the forfeited deposit due to your ToS.
It's just one of several aspects which make no sense. It also doesn't quite jive with what he more recently said: That he simply doesn't have the money to cover it. Despite all the pretty sentiments of being concerned only with the snakes' welfare; I suspect that it all came down to the money. I mean, if this buyer is so heartless and uncaring, why be so bound and determined to send them to someone who you don't think cares them? Seem odd to anyone else? I also have my doubts about some statements that were made about the timeline of certain events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidile View Post
Forgot this; given that the first $100 was a deposit to hold the animal, I don't know what Evan's TOS is regarding the deposit but he would not be out of line keeping it, given that it sounds like the delay in shipping was reasonable, and the buyer canceled the deal because they just decided they wanted something faster.
I don't know that it's all that clear-cut. While some will focus on the fact that the buyer did initially try to back out, let's not forget that a month (give or take) had elapsed since she paid. I think it's a bit murky. His TOS are extremely vague and leave entirely too much room for him to pick and choose when it's convenient to ship. There are no specific given, regarding what he'd consider to be acceptable shipping temperatures. Also, the argument could be made that he did fail to produce what was paid for. At least within what some may consider a reasonable time. Is a month long enough to wait, especially when you're not in agreement with the waiting? I kinda think so. Prudent caution is one thing, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #47
pparrish
Good points Kyle and Dan bring up. Personally, after receiving payment I'll call/text/e-mail customers weekly if the weather isn't cooperating on either end, just to keep them in the loop and assure them that I have not forgot about them and that that the animals will be shipped ASAP. In this case it sounds like the buyer was attempting to do all the contacting. They paid money ($800) for product that wasn't delivered in a week, in two weeks, or even in a month. Honestly, I would have become a bit concerned myself.
Again, my opinion, it's all about Customer Service. Even if a person only called/e-mailed you with a question and didn't spend a dime....if they were satisified with you they'll point others in your direction.
No matter the reason, if payment has been received and product hasn't been delivered, or even packaged for shipment, if the buyer asks for a refund it's only better for your business overall to give the refund promptly.
A last thought....if I produce and sell 100...200...300 Balls every year, it shouldn't be any problem to promptly refund $800. Evan should definitely keep separate accounts if he can't cover all he brings in if he ever needed to. Just smart business.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #48
evansnakes
Quote:
As I recall, paypal payments have a "refund" option that expires after 60 days. If the seller hits the "refund" option, monies are returned without fees deducted.

I don't know how this works with disputed payments, does the "refund" option disappear then? That seems strange, considering "refund" would be one of two resolutions to any dispute.

I don't know if the refund window has expired already, but if not, I imagine it will soon - Evan, will you absorb the fees if it expires because you were waiting to resell the animals?
I clearly said that I was giving her back all of her money including the deposit she should forfeit, all of it, that is $800, not sure how much more clear I can be on that. There are no fees when there is no transaction.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
evansnakes
Quote:
But I am not keeping anything, I am refunding 100% of her money. As I have said repeatedly. I left this thread at the point where I was going to be refunding the full amount in a few days when my payments posted. That is more than clear and straightforward enough.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #50
evansnakes
I don't know that it's all that clear-cut. While some will focus on the fact that the buyer did initially try to back out, let's not forget that a month (give or take) had elapsed since she paid. I think it's a bit murky. His TOS are extremely vague and leave entirely too much room for him to pick and choose when it's convenient to ship. There are no specific given, regarding what he'd consider to be acceptable shipping temperatures. Also, the argument could be made that he did fail to produce what was paid for. At least within what some may consider a reasonable time. Is a month long enough to wait, especially when you're not in agreement with the waiting? I kinda think so. Prudent caution is one thing, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.[/quote]

She tried to back out two weeks after paying. If you read the thread you would know that I told her that I would not ship until the night time lows on both ends were above freezing. Not only is that crystal clear and straight forward but it is absolutely reasonable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!