Best state for Herp Laws - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
sugarkornbizkits
I agree that there should be some regulations. I've noticed that on the news lately,they have been giving exotic keepers a bad rap. The most recent one was when one of the newscasters ordered a rattlesnake and were claiming how because of how the people she ordered it from didn't ask any questions, you could find them in your backyard or your kids could order one and they would show up at your door and how this is a "very common practice."

Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
Austin-1
Consider SC

Hi,
I live in South Carolina, and have never heard of any regulations here, except maybe for alligators. I talked with a vendor at a show here a couple of years ago, and he said that South Carolina has some of the best (i.e. non-restricting) laws in the country. As far as I know, nothing has changed since then.

Also, South Carolina is far more friendly to ectotherms climate-wise. Ohio is pretty cold! I enjoy warmer weather, making cages easier to heat. Also, I can then take my herps outdoors and let them enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, and get some excersise slithering around.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the Best!!
Regards,
Austin

Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #23
dturner05
I'm sure you would not want to move here, but in AR there are no laws that I am aware of. I don't even believe we have any laws against venomous if that tells you anything. I know a guy who collects gaboon vipers...I think he's a moron, but AR is a pretty good place for herps, cops are much more concerned about drunk red necks and exploding meth labs.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
Nirvana
I've heard some serious horror stories about PA. They seem to be pretty good with regards to herps, but apparently trying to get a straight answer from them regarding which exotic mammal species are legal is a nightmare. I have heard of people having their animals destroyed in the name of some very vague laws ...

On the other hand, I think most native mammals are legal there.

I've heard good things about Ohio in terms of mammals; I think their herp laws are pretty lax as well. Never lived there though so I can't say for sure. I know there is a HUGE exotic auction down there ... Everything from Burms to tigers.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #25
hunterjackson
I have never had any probs here in Columbia, SC. I know plenty of people who keep hots, and hots are sold without problems at shows (18+ obviously). As far as large cats, etc, i am not sure.

Our DNR can answer any questions....

Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #26
snakeventure
Thanks for all the information everyone.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #27
TheVipersHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Pennsylvania seems to have no regulation what so ever.
thats not true Ed

Pa has laws on the books in many areas

heres how pathetic they are

in Allentown , Pa there an actuall LAW on the BOOKS
that states very clearly (and this is no joke)

"YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OWN ANY KINDS OF VENOMOUS TURTLES ..."

and your not allowed to own HOTS anymore ,
or any LARGE Constrictors ..
their laws in Allentown are a joke , these laws are why Allentown doesnt hold any more shows like they did in the past .

Pa does have many regulations in many different areas as far as Scranton im not sure what they hold on the books but i know most of my surrounding areas .. and im 25 mins away from Hamburg ..

Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #28
Critterfarm
West Virginia

Summary of Law: The state only regulates native species to the state. A person possessing a native animal in captivity as a "pet" must obtain a permit. However, there are no state laws governing private possession of exotic animals.

Citation: W. VA. CODE § 20-2-51

Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
Hillside Herps
Maryland so so

No venemous in Md and no native species or morphs of a native specie without $25.00 license. Boas, pythons and most colubrids no license needed. Md Fish and Wildlife cool if your honest and respect them.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #30
WingedWolf
Wyoming

Definitely Wyoming. Outside of city limits, you can own almost anything.

There is one single animal that you cannot own in Wyoming. It's actually on the books. You can have a fleet of Gaboon vipers, 5 Nile crocs, 3 King cobras, and a sea snake in a pear tree, if you want.

But you can't have a black mamba. I know you had your heart set on one, too.... <lol>

You can own any native--even restricted ones, so long as you have proper records of purchasing it as a captive bred animal. Of course, as anywhere, endangered species would require permits.

--------------
Oh, and in Omaha, Nebraska:

"Pet animal: Any domestic dogs, domestic cats, mini-pigs, domestic rabbits, domestic ferrets, domestic rodents, birds except those defined as agricultural animals and specifically including any birds possessed under a license issued by the State of Nebraska and/or the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, non-lethal aquarium fish, non-lethal invertebrates, amphibians, turtles, non-venomous lizards that will not grow to more than five feet in length at maturity, nonvenomous snakes that will not grow to more than eight feet in length at maturity, or such other animals as may be specified and for which a permit shall be issued by the authority after inspection and approval; provided, however, that any animal forbidden to be sold, owned, or possessed by federal or state law is not a pet animal."

Pet animals are allowed. Essentially, Omaha has declared most herps legally domesticated. The 8 foot limit on snakes is recent--it used to be 6 feet. This is a victory for local herpers, who can now keep Irian Jaya carpets, and a variety of other species that just went a bit over the mark before. Omaha isn't stupid about it the way some places, are either--the 8 foot limit refers to the adult length of the species, and not the current size of the animal. It's a fairly liveable ordinance in my opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!