S373 Amended Today to 9 Large snakes from list - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #61
Delrah
There were two incidents of pit bull attacks in Philadelphia last weekend. A woman was killed and just about ripped apart by her own dogs. The other incident involved a child who was attacked and almost lost his arm while walking in a park with his friends, who owned the dogs. They were not on their leashes.

But large constrictors that cannot survive in the wild in most of the country are up for federal banning? I don't think I have ever seen someone walking their "dangerous" snake unleashed in a park....

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #62
dreadful
Important to remember...

With regard to comparing pit bulls, BSL, etc. to the current proposed legislation and incidents involving large snakes, the onus on all occasions lies with the owner. Most incidents involving ANY pets causing injury are precipitated by too great trust placed in the animal. It is an apt comparison. As someone who keeps snakes (albeit carpet pythons, not the mammoth ones addressed by the legislation) and owns a pit bull, I am aware that constant vigilance is necessary.

I would LOVE to own a big snake, but my wife and I work different schedules and the only opportunity to work with the snake safely would come once a week and would require us to spend every moment we have together feeding, cleaning, and caring for the snake. So I don't have one, because it's a responsible decision.

My dog, I would never leave unattended with a child (I don't have any, yet). I recognize in her behavior that she's aloof and rowdy, so she's never off leash and always under our control. Dachshunds, pugs, cocker spaniels pop up all the time (not as frequently as pit bulls) on shelter listings because of aggression toward the new baby.

My sister once told me about the dog, "there's a little person in there." There's not. She's an animal, just like snakes, and should be treated as such. When we say, "My dog (snake) loves me and would never hurt anyone" we fall into a trap which all too frequently ends up like the scenario in Phila. or the Burm attack in Florida.

Laws promoting or requiring responsible and educated ownership would be welcome, but outright bans on pit bulls, snakes, or whatever, hurt the people best situated to provide well supervised care for these creatures, which is why I oppose S373 and comparable laws. In just about all cases, it's bad and irresponsible ownership which results in tragedy.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #63
Delrah
I agree with you 100%. I do apologize if it sounded like I feel there should be a ban on pit bulls, or anything else, that was not my intent. I was just comparing the incidence of attacks of the pets deemed "safe" by the general public, such as dogs, which can be dangerous to the general public. I absolutely agree that it is the lack of responsibility on the part of owners that cause these problems. One should not handle something sharp if one doesn't know how to keep themselves and others from being harmed by it. Common sense to most of us. Unfortunately, the lack of said common sense leads to banning laws.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #64
Chexy
I was just talking to my boyfriend about this law last night on the drive home. I actually compared it to pit bulls, too. Haha. We try and implement all these laws that are supposed to protect us from ourselves and I think it's stupid. If anyone comes into any dangerous situation thinking that it's safe, it's their own damn fault if they get bit or what-have-you. People just aren't educated.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #65
crusher
Yes I agree with all the above and think the ban is crap!!! But I do believe you should have to take a test before you own a large constrictor to see if you are one of those people that believe they are like people or not if so you should be denied. I believe this should be done with all pets it would cut down on animal hording big time those people are not responsible in the least bit.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #66
jscianni21
what about what happened this winter were they found out there is no way that they could go out of florida due to the cold and what not so shouldn't it just be a florida problem but i also agree with what the guy says above me too.

buts it still really aggravating that they can say what we have as pets whats next " The War on Snakes" just another big waste of money this country does not need right now . and how would the people who broke this law be punished ?
jail time , fines, and maybe both

Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #67
bear
Is there any way we can organize an extra hour after our reptile shows in every state to picket in front of our reptile shows? We need to get a more public voice out there, if a politician sees a protest make the local news or at least get some buzz about it we are more likely to get something done. Can someone also post resources or some links of where to show your opposition to the bill?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!