animal planet - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #81
gsrept
(Sorry to say but reptile nation is nowhere near being united. Most are too lazy to get up and do anything.)

sorry but it is negative thinking like that which hurts this hobby instead of whining get out there and do something.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #82
Ntyvirus
dont know if the show was mentioned in earlier pages but just watched a few episodes of "swamp brothers" on animal planet and it wasn't terrible. First off, I had no idea that the guys from Glades herp were the guys behind the show, and secondly only real weird thing about the show was the announcer called a scaleless hognose snake a hognose python.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #83
Ntyvirus
Bumping this after watching "Man eating super snake on animal planet". Always wondered why a lot of the people they interview are from the US geological survey, what does that org have to do with wildlife?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #84
mercuryts
what i dont get about animal planet lately is they are very against reptiles in general. After steve and jeff they only really show reptiles as mean, dirty, and killers. all the shows that i've seen lately on animal planet were about cats or dogs and when they were about snakes it portrayed them as cold blood killers, or the problem for everything. it really disappoints me, because animal planet is suppose to be for animals, not against them.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #85
Ntyvirus
Think they get most if not all of their funding from the humane society or the ASPCA now. National geographic has some good shows and even shows old croc hunter episodes.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #86
Jparker
"Always wondered why a lot of the people they interview are from the US geological survey, what does that org have to do with wildlife?"

USGS has the Biological Resources Division that is very active in both research and management of wildlife.

My only concern with this whole situation is with such as emphasis on breeding for high end morphs, what happens to the rest of the clutch that aren't these high end morphs? Euthanizing or selling to Joe D Bag for $20 at some reptile show who has no business taking care of any living thing other than the fungus in his shower? I think the industry needs to be better at policing itself before the government does it..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #87
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker View Post
My only concern with this whole situation is with such as emphasis on breeding for high end morphs, what happens to the rest of the clutch that aren't these high end morphs? Euthanizing or selling to Joe D Bag for $20 at some reptile show who has no business taking care of any living thing other than the fungus in his shower? I think the industry needs to be better at policing itself before the government does it..
That might be one of the best first posts ever.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #88
George J. Ward
Hello to all! The outspoken here! Please,everyone pull together on this matter. I agree to most everything said about this issue. I understand what a lot of you are saying,but those of you that have bought a couple of designer snakes to breed in the last few years are not herpetologists! No disrespect to you at all though! We out here that are professional field people need your help more than ever now. I have been in contact with congressman Thomas Rooneys' office on this matter now with the african rock pythons down in Miami. Yep you guessed it still no reply or response from that office yet. I have offered my services to get on this matter with any problem(so called problem) animals. I have no problem with them because that's how I earn my living as an exotics trapper here. I have an even better one for you. Ask the state why they are trapping feral cats here,that kill all kinds of native wildlife not just reptiles and amphibians. They trap them then they spay or neuter them then they turn them loose back where they trapped them,HUH? That's what I said. They aren't native to Florida,are they?? So if you have problems with introduced exotics here,why not have a problem with that issue as well!! You can't feed the wildlife here,however they do it all the time here with cats and with Mascovy ducks.Exotics is my job and wellbeing. Please contact the congressman and ask why trappers like myself that have been asking to get on this problem and to keep the market open to all in this arena. Because if this keeps going with all the negativity and bad publicity,some of us will be out of a job or additional income that is more than needed in this country at this time. Help!! Please. Contact congressman Rooney and express your concerns and opinions.Numbers speak loud to a politician at this time of up coming elections,get political on these people that are doing it to all of us reptile lovers,we have rights too,to have the pets we choose(within reason). If they can have cats and dogs we can have snakes. Thanx to all in our field.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #89
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by George J. Ward View Post
Hello to all! The outspoken here! Please,everyone pull together on this matter. I agree to most everything said about this issue. I understand what a lot of you are saying,but those of you that have bought a couple of designer snakes to breed in the last few years are not herpetologists! No disrespect to you at all though! We out here that are professional field people need your help more than ever now. I have been in contact with congressman Thomas Rooneys' office on this matter now with the african rock pythons down in Miami. Yep you guessed it still no reply or response from that office yet. I have offered my services to get on this matter with any problem(so called problem) animals. I have no problem with them because that's how I earn my living as an exotics trapper here. I have an even better one for you. Ask the state why they are trapping feral cats here,that kill all kinds of native wildlife not just reptiles and amphibians. They trap them then they spay or neuter them then they turn them loose back where they trapped them,HUH? That's what I said. They aren't native to Florida,are they?? So if you have problems with introduced exotics here,why not have a problem with that issue as well!! You can't feed the wildlife here,however they do it all the time here with cats and with Mascovy ducks.Exotics is my job and wellbeing. Please contact the congressman and ask why trappers like myself that have been asking to get on this problem and to keep the market open to all in this arena. Because if this keeps going with all the negativity and bad publicity,some of us will be out of a job or additional income that is more than needed in this country at this time. Help!! Please. Contact congressman Rooney and express your concerns and opinions.Numbers speak loud to a politician at this time of up coming elections,get political on these people that are doing it to all of us reptile lovers,we have rights too,to have the pets we choose(within reason). If they can have cats and dogs we can have snakes. Thanx to all in our field.
You insult people then ask for their help

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #90
Pmsayi
Exclamation

Quote:
I understand what a lot of you are saying,but those of you that have bought a couple of designer snakes to breed in the last few years are not herpetologists!
Herpetology is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians (including frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, and gymnophiona) and reptiles (including snakes, lizards, amphisbaenids, turtles, terrapins, tortoises, crocodilians, and the tuataras).

There are many careers in the field of herpetology. These include, but are not limited to, field research, public and private breeding, zoological staff or curating, museum staff or curating and college teaching.

The study of reptile does not imply any length of time dedicated to the subject but only that one chooses to continually learn about the subject at hand.

Quote:
We out here that are professional field people need your help more than ever now.
You don't strike me as a professional. You come across more as someone who feels the need to justify a lack of understanding and experience by stating how long you have supposedly have been working in a field you deem as related to reptiles and the study of them. Being a trapper only means you know how to catch them. Not that you understand how to care for them or keep them alive or anything else about them.

Quote:
No disrespect to you at all though!
You constantly disrespect people here including the Mods from what I have seen. I don't post very often but I do check the site often. I have seen you give bad advice and be extremely confrontational. You refuse to admit when you are wrong and are unapologetic even when confronted with facts proving you are wrong.

My suggestion:
Remove your head from your rectum, try to be civil, learn from others here that have much more experience than you do, and try really being respectful to others for a change.

I apologize in advance to the mods if this post is out of line.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!